welding aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding aluminum

Thanks for the response on my last post. From my last post I know that my xmt 304 is not going to tig al. My qustion is I have a xmt 304,a miller bobcat, a couple of lincoln idealarcs and a couple of lincoln gas welders what do I need to do to set up for welding aluminum. Should I mig it altough I have heard of several problems with this, should I buy some tig components to run off one of my ac units or should a buy a machine with squarewave capabilities? We weld steel for the construction industry but this is for a personal project. I what to build a deer stand out of aluminum nice and light weight

Sam- what type Al welding? repair of cast Al or new fab with tube or plate? I have the MM210 with spoolmate never welded Al before and did fantastic right out of the box, with 1/4 diamond checker plate. If you need the extra cleaning action for structural or sealed tank work, then I would Tig at what ever the cost. Also figuring in how much long seam work you plan for, it is easier with mig than tig. I know that you can work off the bobcat platform in either mig or tig with accessories, good luck with your decision it is a difficult one. pjs

Comment

If you dont want to get a mig set up for your xmt then I might go for a sycro 180 if its just a small project. depending on the thickness of material used on your stand would dictate if you need a bigger machine than the 180. you also must think whether more projects may come as a result of this project. Possibly think about a larger machine, it sort of comes down to how much you want to spend. I bought a Dynasty 300 a little while ago now no regrets. You might be able to ac tig with your bobcat with an extra module but the results would only be satisfactory. If you had a trailblazer ac tig would be a good option. As far as your idealarcs they wont help you much. Be a little more specific on your lincoln engine drives, perhaps one of them could be used, Dont quote me here but I think if you have a ranger9 or ranger300 you may be in luck I think you still need a module also to make the licolns work too. One last thing if you dont want to spend to much the syncrowave250 is a great machine for the money, Great all around shop machine.

Comment

Sam,

The Dynasty 200 or Syncrowave 250 will serve your tig needs well and give you room to grow. Sometimes I buy on want rather than need. Anyway you will enjoy a nice Miller tig. Give these a look.

Comment

Working...
        X