Help with Miller 252 and stainless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Miller 252 and stainless

I am just an old farmer who welds to repair his equipment. I have a Miller 252 MIG and I have only used it for welding steel. I hope someone can help me set it up to weld some stainless. Do I need a different gun like I would with aluminum or just stainless wire and different gas? Thanks
    Just because you have one, doesn't mean you have to act like one.

Miller 212
    Hobart 135
    Miller 375 X-treme
    Really antique Sears Arc N Spark
    O/A Torch Setup

You just need wire and trimix gas. You could use a spool gun so you could switch back and forth faster. That is handy if you don't do much ss.
    MillerMatic 251
    Maxstar 150 STH
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

Just buy some stainless wire and you can get the job done, In a perfect world you should use trimix gas, however if you at least using a 75% argon, 25%co2 you can get by with that, 90/10 works better yet.

If its not critical than your good.

Comment

Thanks guys. You covered both ends of the spectrum.
        Just because you have one, doesn't mean you have to act like one.

Miller 212
        Hobart 135
        Miller 375 X-treme
        Really antique Sears Arc N Spark
        O/A Torch Setup

Comment

You need to back purge I think you can use whatever shielding gas you have, Argon works with an oxygen regulator. Use a piece of metal big enough to reach past heat affected zone, tape it in place. Tape an acetylene torch nozzle in with a vent hole in the tape at the top. or you can use a paste made to substitute for back purge.
          I was able to remove part of my spool holder to fit a 1 lb spool. I think I remember needing different rollers.
          Dynasty 280DX
          Bobcat 250
          MM252
          Spool gun
          Twentieth Century 295
          Twentieth Century 295 AC
          Marquette spot welder
          Smith torches

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
            Just buy some stainless wire and you can get the job done, In a perfect world you should use trimix gas, however if you at least using a 75% argon, 25%co2 you can get by with that, 90/10 works better yet.

If its not critical than your good.
            exactly what I was going to say. ive welded stainless with 75/25. had no tri mix. it hasn't rusted but isn't in a corrosive environment.

Comment

Originally posted by purplewg View Post
              I am just an old farmer who welds to repair his equipment. I have a Miller 252 MIG and I have only used it for welding steel. I hope someone can help me set it up to weld some stainless. Do I need a different gun like I would with aluminum or just stainless wire and different gas? Thanks
              I have tried to just stay out of this one. However, if you have no need to weld stainless per a spec or code and are ok with following some of the other suggestions, just weld it with your mild steel set up.

Griff

Comment

SStl wire does not weld out of position well. I would recommend Dual shield, flux core with shielding gas.
                AutoArc 230 (MM 210)
                3035 spoolgun
                Spectrum 625
                Dialarc HF w/Coolmate 4

Comment

Tri mix gas can be argon/CO2/oxygen or it can be helium/argon/CO2 so be careful what you ask for.

Comment

Working...
                  X