Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arc welder

What is a good arc welder to buy?

That's like asking "what's a good car" to buy.
    What will you be welding with it?
    What power do you have to run it on?
    Lincoln Idealarc 250
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Originally posted by weldmaster06 View Post
      Electric ones are usually best.

Now -- what should I eat for breakfast, and why?

Comment

tricky qeuestion

How do you know your a good welder? Ha ha just jokin

Comment

Originally posted by willy j View Post
          A " Welder " is a machine.......... A "Weldor " is a Person ! Ha ha Not Jokin !!

Norm
          www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

No one mentioned this is your first post so welcome to the forum weldmaster06.
            Lincoln A/C 225
            Everlast PA200

Comment

Originally posted by willy j View Post
              He MUST be a good welder, he is weldmaster06. That means there are only 5 more in the world better than him.

Here is FINEST arc welder available in the world today. Need any more info?

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...der-68888.html

If you hurry you can get it on sale.
              Last edited by Bistineau; 03-15-2014, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by weldmaster06 View Post
                Seriously, if buying new, I would recommend the Hobart AC/DC Stickmate.
                Miller Challenger 172
                Hobart AC/DC Stickmate
                Older Sears AC Stick machine

Comment

In some areas, used AC "buzzboxes" go from $50. - $150. and AC-DC versions are $150. - $250. Some of the common ones:

Lincoln AC 180, AC225
                  Miller Thunderbolt
                  Hobart Stickmate
                  AIRCO Bumblebee - crank type (Miller)
                  Century
                  Sears/Wards (many are rebadged Century)
                  Marquette
                  Mid-States
                  Forney
                  Dayton

Next up $250. - $500 would be Lincoln Idealarc 250, Miller Dialarc 250, AIRCO (rebadged Dialarc or Miller 250).

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
                  A " Welder " is a machine.......... A "Weldor " is a Person ! Ha ha Not Jokin !!

Norm

Not necessarily. Look at very old books printed before 1800. "Welders" were people who forge welded stuff because there were no welding machines.
                  Last edited by USMCPOP; 03-15-2014, 09:57 AM.
                  Miller stuff:
                  Dialarc 250 (1974)
                  Syncrowave 250 (1992)
                  Spot welder (Dayton badged)

Comment

I would recommend a dynasty 700. You can hook up a stinger and really burn some rod.

Also, you will only be able to buy it if you drive a Chevy. All other trucks will break the welder. You can also only use it around john Deere tractors while carrying smith and Wesson for protection. If you deviate from these rules at all the welder will break and will not be covered by warranty
                    MillerMatic 251
                    Maxstar 150 STH
                    Cutmaster 42
                    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

This thread is cracking me up. Starting to sound like comedy central.

Comment

Welcome to the forum

Hello weldmaster, pay no attention to the hecklers from the peanut gallery. The question you ask is very common. What do you want to weld with the machine and your skill level will determine the best choice in selecting a welding machine. If your doing steel and depending on thickness can help determine where you want to be looking. If your in to learn and have the possibilities for growth and expanded options also will help you determine your ideal machine. Their are numerous options, you could go with a small mig unit for lightweight fab and repairs or you could choose a stick / Tig machine that can do more specialty work. How often do you intend to be welding? If you have done any welding before? I would try to borrow or rent a few types that best suit your needs instead of forking out a bunch of cash on a new one.
                        I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Comment

Originally posted by sturugged View Post
                          Hello weldmaster, pay no attention to the hecklers from the peanut gallery. The question you ask is very common. What do you want to weld with the machine and your skill level will determine the best choice in selecting a welding machine. If your doing steel and depending on thickness can help determine where you want to be looking. If your in to learn and have the possibilities for growth and expanded options also will help you determine your ideal machine. Their are numerous options, you could go with a small mig unit for lightweight fab and repairs or you could choose a stick / Tig machine that can do more specialty work. How often do you intend to be welding? If you have done any welding before? I would try to borrow or rent a few types that best suit your needs instead of forking out a bunch of cash on a new one.
                          Well put... +1

If you are looking for a decent entry level stick machine... USMCPOP's list will be useful as well...

We all had to start learning somewhere.... no shame in that...

In addition... there is a lot of useful free info in the "Improve Your Skills" area of "Resources" that you might find useful..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...g-your-skills/
                          Last edited by H80N; 03-15-2014, 04:12 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Me and JW are just making money. Fifty bucks (I am a generous man).Click image for larger version

Name:	Lincwelder ac-180-c 1952 ad.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	516441

Attached Files
                            Miller stuff:
                            Dialarc 250 (1974)
                            Syncrowave 250 (1992)
                            Spot welder (Dayton badged)

Comment

Man that baby is vintage iron ! I like it.

For fifty bucks id buy that and dust it off and put it in the living room next to the couch. Im kind of a tool addict though. Must be a welder thing, If it still works though seriously that would be a great unit just to have and use once and a while. Guess id have to get a restored Sa-200 with a countertop for an island in the kitchen or man cave to match it then. I might be onto something i think..... Gotta have some blue ones to balance it out though.
                              I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Comment

Working...
                              X