X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cgotto6
    started a topic Advice needed for galvy mig welding

Advice needed for galvy mig welding

Hi guys, I am about to have to do some welding on some galvanized steel studs, channel, angle, etc. All of it is thin, like 14g +/-. My question is this, in the past, every time I have encountered galvanized material, I would just strip the galvanizing with a multi flap then proceed as normal. With this job, that would be very time consuming and not very realistic. I will be using my millermatic 180. What do you guys suggest I do? Can I use my er70s-6 with 75/25 and have good results? Is there a different wire and or gas combo that is more appropriate that I could run with my machine? Do you have any other suggestions?

I am aware of the hazardous fumes produced from galvanized welding, I will be in a well ventilated area with respirator. Thanks guys.

• Cgotto6
    replied
    Hey bob, what didn't you like about silicon bronze on galvanized material?

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    Thanks for the link. That stuff sounds like it's exactly what I need. No removal of the galvy required and no paint required for corrosion resistance. Anyone used silicon bronze wire in their mig?
    I use it for thin un coated sheet metal like auto repair panels. It sucks for galvanized coatings and i like a good S-6 solid wire better. I was a union sheet metal worker in the 80's and welded a million miles of galv duct work, well seemed like a million...Bob

Leave a comment:

• johnnyg340
    replied
    70S-3 would be better than -6 because of lower Si content. Si does not help with Gal material. Be cheaper than bronze, although bronze is the best long-term / best results wire. Depends on if you will do more in the future etc... I would buy 70S-3 and see how it turns out for you.

Leave a comment:

• Cgotto6
    replied
    Thanks for the link. That stuff sounds like it's exactly what I need. No removal of the galvy required and no paint required for corrosion resistance. Anyone used silicon bronze wire in their mig?

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Silicon Bronze MIG wire...

Have you considered Silicon Bronze???

it is becoming more popular in Automotive and HVAC applications...

here is an interesting site..

http://wisconsinwireworks.com/weld_galv_steel.html

Leave a comment:

• Rhinox
    replied
    Advice needed for galvy mig welding

Best advice i got-

Stay away from it.....loll
    Phil

Leave a comment:

• snowbird
    replied
    I had best results with grinding, sometime you can skip the grinding by stick welding it but on 14 ga. ???

I doubt there is another way to properly do that.

Wish you get more usefull answers than mine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X