X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SNUNEZ
    • Nov 2005

mag wheel welding

Hello folks I need help ,I tried to tig a mag wheel and this is what happened.
    the inner part turned real good when I tried to weld the outer part of the wheel all I got was sugarizing .....any ideas? using synchowave 250 with 4043 rod .
  • H80N
    • Nov 2003

Hard to tell you anything without PICS and more info...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

• Jan 2014

Not sure exactly what you mean by "sugaring" in connection with a "mag" wheel. First off, are you sure it's a magnesium (Mg) alloy wheel and not just an aluminum alloy one.

Second, did you clean the coating off good before trying to weld on it?
      Will Argue for Beer (any issue, either side)

Comment

• Jan 2014

I've run in to the situation before where people have told me something was made from a magnesium alloy when in fact it was just an aluminum alloy. I've also had the reverse happen a couple times.

A while back some one brought me what they said was an aluminum transfer case with some cracks and missing places around the flange where it bolts up. The first 2 inch or so bead that I tried to put on it using 4043 told me that I was dealing with a Magnesium casting. The 4043 didn't mix in and I was able to grab the bead with a pair of pliers and pull it right off. The surfaces where it pulled out were large grained and porous looking. Could this be what you're calling "sugarizing"?

I went to the LWS to see if they had any Mg alloy filler. They did and it was like around 120 and some dollars a pound (with a 1 lb. minimum). Luckily I'm thought of favorably there and the salesman just gave me 4 lengths of 3/32. It worked just fine. Still have a piece of that filler some where in the pile.
        Will Argue for Beer (any issue, either side)

Comment

• SUPERTIGSTACK
          • Mar 2012

mag wheel welding

not recommended can you guarantee safety of the wheel In use after welding

can see legal problems if it breaks in use

Comment

• Burnt hands
            • Dec 2007

A quick and rough test to tell difference is to lightly sand an area and pour on some white vinegar. Magnesium alloys will fizz while aluminum will not.
            Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

• Portable Welder
              • Aug 2004

when welding magnesium, you should notice the different color, Magnesium is green and dirty compared to aluminum.

My guess is he meant an aluminum mag.

However, You either had your machine set to high and burn through the back side where you didn't have any shielding gas along with maybe not cleaned on the back side.

Aluminum rims are heat treated so you are taking the heat treatment out of them, However people have been welding rims for years without any problems that I have ever heard of ( Meaning fatalities ) Not saying it hasn't happen, I just haven't heard of any cases.

Based on the fact you told us what the backside looks like, tells me you have pulled contamination into the aluminum and now its inferior aluminum and its not heat treated so you really have compromised the strength.

Comment

• SNUNEZ
                • Nov 2005

mag wheel

I will do the white vinegar test thanks for your help,

Comment

Working...
                X