Seeking help from those who I know can help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bistineau
    • May 2011

Originally posted by SelfTaught View Post
    I see what you're saying. These jobs will more or less be my bread and butter starting out. I REALLY enjoy fabrication but that will come in time. Stick with the bread and butter, get my name out there and the rest will come (I hope).
    Thank you for your advice and believe me I am listening.
    I have a feeling that after working with your friend for a few days, you will find the majority of what he does involves the BC. You should be trying to get yourself rigged up similarly. You already know the BC can be used for TIG with the right torch. I would think the same torch could be used on the Dynasty when you get it later. What you may not realize though is that the BC can also MIG weld with a spool gun and the appropriate contactor box. With these additions, you can now TIG, MIG and stick weld with the BC, and all portable with no concerns about a separate power supply. Now you can do more with this set up than you could have done with the Dynasty and genset. Not to mention, you can weld thicker material than with the Dynasty. A Dynasty would be more appropriate to use in a shop setting or somewhere that you can't get an engine drive close to. But in the mean time, you could use the HH 140 for most of those jobs. So you came here looking for suggestions on getting set up for portable welding work, and I recommend getting the BC with a TIG torch and spool gun, then get the Dynasty later after you start making some money with the BC or possibly a Trail Blazer if you can swing it. A Trail Blazer will give you a few more options over the BC, so check the specs on some of them before you totally commit to getting a BC.
    Last edited by Bistineau; 02-21-2014, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• H80N
      • Nov 2003

Trailblazer.. 14 pin...

One suggestion...

If you are going to buy an engine drive like the Bobcat.. and plan on adding a suitcase feeder or TIG aluminum with an HF box like a HF-251 or MIG with a spoolgun like a 30A

You will find the whole proposition MUCH simpler and happier if you go the extra bit and get an AC/DC Trailblazer.... Having that 14 pin works SO much better... things integrate easier...

the price differential goes away once you try to integrate those extra capabilities...

just a thought..
      Last edited by H80N; 02-21-2014, 12:42 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

• Bistineau
        • May 2011

Originally posted by H80N View Post
        One suggestion...

If you are going to buy an engine drive like the Bobcat.. and plan on adding a suitcase feeder or TIG aluminum with an HF box like a HF-251 or MIG with a spoolgun like a 30A

You will find the whole proposition MUCH simpler and happier if you go the extra bit and get an AC/DC Trailblazer.... Having that 14 pin works SO much better... things integrate easier...

the price differential goes away once you try to integrate those extra capabilities...

just a thought..
        EXACTLY. That is where I was leading to in my last two sentences of my last post.

Either way, I feel it would be best to get the major piece of welding equipment FIRST(the engine drive) then tailor the rest of the equipment purchases around that, with a view to future expansion.

Comment

• H80N
          • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Bistineau View Post
          EXACTLY. That is where I was leading to in my last two sentences of my last post.

Either way, I feel it would be best to get the major piece of welding equipment FIRST(the engine drive) then tailor the rest of the equipment purchases around that, with a view to future expansion.
          FWIW... if you are planning on doing a lot of mobile TIG....

IMHO.. an engine drive & HF box make for a pretty mediocre TIG setup..

A generator and Dyn 200DX... has been the hot tip...

I have done both... sold my last TB301G a while back and run genny & Dynasty for mobile TIG.... but my stuff is probably atypical... I do almost no stick these days.. and my mobile TIG is better characterized as "on site" and not neccesarily outdoor...
          outside TIG as mentioned before is subject to breezes, weather and other pitfalls

That being said... for an all around rig... a Trailblazer outfitted with suitcase, HF-251, pedal, 30A.. etc... makes for a pretty decent setup..

How you configure your rig is dependant on the work you intend to do..
          Last edited by H80N; 02-21-2014, 07:33 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 200

Comment

• SelfTaught
            • Feb 2014

scam?

Once again, all good advice!
            I read your replies earlier and started researching the trailblazer line. I am unfamiliar with them but I am sure it wouldn't take long to learn.
            Now here is the kicker.....
            I looked on craigslist and found a NEW trailblazer 302 and a slightly used miller 350p for the low low price of 6500........I smell a scam. Kinda worried about even calling about it. Looked up the 350p and it sells for over 5k by itself. He also has pictures of the 302 and it still has the tags on it and is sitting on the bottom half of the packing box.

Comment

• H80N
              • Nov 2003

Once again, all good advice!
              I read your replies earlier and started researching the trailblazer line. I am unfamiliar with them but I am sure it wouldn't take long to learn.
              Now here is the kicker.....
              I looked on craigslist and found a NEW trailblazer 302 and a slightly used miller 350p for the low low price of 6500........I smell a scam. Kinda worried about even calling about it. Looked up the 350p and it sells for over 5k by itself. He also has pictures of the 302 and it still has the tags on it and is sitting on the bottom half of the packing box.
              the price does sound too good to be true..

You could get the serial numbers and call Miller to find out if they have been reported stolen.. I believe they keep a database of stolen machines..

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 200

Comment

• SelfTaught
                • Feb 2014

Oh yeah, I will be going to my friends house monday. He's gonna show me the basic in and outs. In return I will be helping him with a custom wrought iron bed. Really need to learn how to charge for my services and the best place to purchase metal in this area.
                We will also be getting a foot pedal and a thumb control for our syncrowave at work (don't know which i will like better). I can't wait to try them out and learn something new. As I said all I have ever done is scratch start tig so it will be interesting to learn something new.

Comment

• MMW
                  • Sep 2005

How you set up your rig is dependent on what type of work is available in your area. It doesn't matter what type of work you want to do if it's not there. Many guys want to do something & set up accordingly, spend the money & then are bust in 6 months.

Do the research in your area. What type of companies would use a welder? What type of welding is typical to their situation? What equipment is needed for this particular type of welding. Why would they hire me over the established guy? (rate cutting doesn't work) How would I break into this by only working part time & off hours? Plan it out before spending money.
                  MM250
                  Trailblazer 250g
                  22a feeder
                  Lincoln ac/dc 225
                  Victor O/A
                  MM200 black face
                  Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                  Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                  Arco roto-phase model M
                  Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                  Miller spectrum 875
                  30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                  Syncrowave 250
                  RCCS-14

Comment

• MMW
                    • Sep 2005

Selftaught wrote -- "I will be going to my friends house monday. He's gonna show me the basic in and outs. In return I will be helping him with a custom wrought iron bed. Really need to learn how to charge for my services and the best place to purchase metal in this area."

This quote shows you are a long way from starting a business but it is a great first step. I would work for him or someone else for awhile before committing to spending cash. If you don't know about accounting & taxes, particularly business taxes, then learn it. You don't need to be a pro but you do need to understand how it works & rates etc. because it is easy to make costly mistakes without realizing it.
                    MM250
                    Trailblazer 250g
                    22a feeder
                    Lincoln ac/dc 225
                    Victor O/A
                    MM200 black face
                    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                    Arco roto-phase model M
                    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                    Miller spectrum 875
                    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                    Syncrowave 250
                    RCCS-14

Comment

• griff01
                      • Dec 2007

Oh yeah, I will be going to my friends house monday. He's gonna show me the basic in and outs. In return I will be helping him with a custom wrought iron bed. Really need to learn how to charge for my services and the best place to purchase metal in this area.
                      We will also be getting a foot pedal and a thumb control for our syncrowave at work (don't know which i will like better). I can't wait to try them out and learn something new. As I said all I have ever done is scratch start tig so it will be interesting to learn something new.
                      Both types of controller have their own place.
                      Griff

Comment

• H80N
                        • Nov 2003

Originally posted by griff01 View Post
                        Both types of controller have their own place.
                        Griff
                        +1

I have both.... there are many times in tight awkward places where a pedal is not practical... that is where the finger control shines...

I also have a LS17 torch with integrated finger control on my Dyn 200DX... for simplicitys sake when it travels on site..
                        just one less cord to mess with..

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 200

Comment

• SelfTaught
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by MMW View Post
                          Selftaught wrote -- "I will be going to my friends house monday. He's gonna show me the basic in and outs. In return I will be helping him with a custom wrought iron bed. Really need to learn how to charge for my services and the best place to purchase metal in this area."

This quote shows you are a long way from starting a business but it is a great first step. I would work for him or someone else for awhile before committing to spending cash. If you don't know about accounting & taxes, particularly business taxes, then learn it. You don't need to be a pro but you do need to understand how it works & rates etc. because it is easy to make costly mistakes without realizing it.
                          Thanks MMW.
                          I am going to be getting a welder/generator in the near future whether I start up a buisness or not. I joined here to do research and to learn from those with more experience. I know I have a long way to go. I plan on starting out really, REALLY small. Just doing small jobs for anyone who needs welding done. I already do some very small stuff with the HH140 but usually don't charge for anything but materials. Usually its a "you help me with this and I will help you with that" situation.
                          I go to my friends house Monday to Start working with him. I will continue doing this two to 4 days a week for a month, possibly two.
                          I do not want to give anyone the impression that I am just a young buck looking to jump into the field (I am 40).
                          This idea has been on my mind for a couple of years now and I have researched many aspects of it, but I know I have A LOT more to learn.
                          Who knows, after working with my friend for a month or two I may decide that I don't want to go through with it (I believe this to be highly unlikely though).
                          As far as the taxes...... I am trying to learn the basics, with my wifes help. She has been out of work for two years but she does taxes on the side, including farm taxes. She will also be doing the taxes for the buisness but I still like to know what's going on so she is showing me.
                          Thanks again and I hope I have not given anyone the wrong impression.
                          SelfTaught

Comment

• H80N
                            • Nov 2003

Sounds like you are moving along thoughtfully and methodically..

the business end is not rocket science... and it sounds like your wife is well equipped to keep the books straight...

if you can get Quickbooks... that is an excellent accounting program and easy to use...

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 200

Comment

• Bistineau
                              • May 2011

If you want more answers from a larger group of experienced welders, go here and post the same question.

Maybe ask in general welding questions. This is a good source of welding knowledge, too.

Comment

• SelfTaught
                                • Feb 2014

Day 1 down working with my friend. Learned a lot.
                                He affirmed what was stated in the thread about tigging. He has it set up in his shop but not on his truck.
                                He has a 10' double axel trailer he used to use for his welder before getting the service truck.
                                He wanted to sell it but we worked out a deal. I work for him three days and he will give it to me.
                                Today we spent the morning buying material. We got back to his shop around 11 and he left me there to work on a wrought iron bed while he ran some errands and lined up a few more jobs.
                                Got the head board finished and tac welded the foot board together.
                                I really enjoyed it.
                                While I was at his shop someone brought in an exhaust pipe for a BMW, some one else brought a pontoon (sp?), then another guy brought up a 12' propane tank they want made into a double smoker. That was just in 5 hours.
                                Hopefully I will get there. But I know it's gonna take time.
                                SelfTaught

Comment

Working...
                                X