flux cored wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flux cored wire

I recently bought a flux cored wire feeder to go on my Bobcat and the my dealer got me some Lincoln Innershield NR 211-MP wire to run in it. I usually use 7014 stick electrodes because they weld well, fill quickly, make a smooth, attractive bead, don't spatter much and clean up well. This wire seems to spatter a lot and is hard to clean up or weld attractively. It acts more like the 6013 electrode I don't care for. Is there a flux-cored wire with characteristics more like 7014 rods ?

Make sure you have the polarity set right.

Comment

JWELD is right. Flux core wire uses the opposite polarity of bare wire. Also too much heat input can cause spatter. Try varying your stickout. The shorter stickout may yield less spatter. Is this wire an E71T-11 or E71T-1? Is your Bobcat set for CV output?

If everything is set right and the wire is just that way, you might try another brand. I run .045 Fab Shield (flux cored E71T-11) with good results. Hyundai makes a really good wire also.

Let us know what happens.
      Good Luck

Comment

What type of wire feeder do you have and are you running it off the CV, 240 or 110 ten circuit?????
        CV circuit such as the "Miller Suitcase"
        220 such as the "Miller 175"
        110 such as the "Miller 135"
        I know as I have them all. All weld excellent

Comment

The wire feeder is a Lincoln LN 25 (suitcase), runs off welding current, welder is set to CV, new wire right out of the plastic (should be dry), E71T-11 rated wire, .045 diameter. I do have it set to positive polarity, as it welds worse on negative.

Comment

Hawk

Need some help with this one.

The only problem I could think of still the amount of amps and the fedd.

Comment

qualls,

Dumb question here: Are you using the voltage sensing lead from the feeder? It attaches directly to you work piece in the vicinity of your ground clamp. I know this sounds silly and no insult is intended. Sometimes ths simplest things can trip us up. Post your machine settings. I am thinking you are using a voltage sensing wire feeder. Please correct me if I have jumped to conclusions.

Good Luck

Comment

Yes the extra lead from the wire feeder is hooked to the work. The LN 25 won't feed wire unless the voltage sensing lead is connected. As for settings, I have tried the whole range, but the best results were in the 75-100 fpm wire range and 23-24 volts CV. I probably need to spend a weekend or two more getting experience with it. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Keep playing around with your voltage, wire speed, and electrode stick out. Sooner or later you'll hit a combination that works well for you. Most flux core spatter I see is when the voltage is a little high or the wire speed is a little fast.

You may never get E71T-11 to burn like a 7014. The flux wire is going to have more penetration by nature of process and manufacture. However, it should not behave like a 6010.

Good Luck and let us know what happens.

Comment

Patience

Hey qualls,
                    i think that the first thing to have when welding flux core is patience, it always acts like it wants to move faster than it will. next try, having about 3/4" stick out, if you don't keep your stick length consistant your voltage will vary.(if you shorten stick out while welding your voltage increases, if you lengthen then it will decrease) your settings sound pretty good, now depending on how thick your steel is,, try running 24-25V and about 90-95 WS, it seems to me that that a slight 5-10 degree drag is about right. hope any info helps, it will come.

Comment

The wire feeder is a Lincoln LN 25 (suitcase), runs off welding current, welder is set to CV, new wire right out of the plastic (should be dry), E71T-11 rated wire, .045 diameter. I do have it set to positive polarity, as it welds worse on negative.

You say the welder is set to CV? On a Voltage sensing wirefeeder?
                      That is your problem. Welder needs to be set to CC. It cant sense the voltage fluctuating when the machine is putting out constant voltage.
                      It needs some amps to work with. Try it and let us know if it helps you out any.

Comment

Originally posted by qualls
                        Yes the extra lead from the wire feeder is hooked to the work. The LN 25 won't feed wire unless the voltage sensing lead is connected. As for settings, I have tried the whole range, but the best results were in the 75-100 fpm wire range and 23-24 volts CV. I probably need to spend a weekend or two more getting experience with it. Thanks for the help.
                        Excuse me, for butting in, but the voltage and wire speed you discribe would be about right for spray transfer, if you had a gas shield and were using solid wire. Oh, BTW I use a 2% oxy, 10 co2, and 88% Argon.
                        For short arc it seems to me that you need for: .045 wire, about the same ranges you would use for .035 solid, because of the amount of actual material. So, I'd say course setting of 19-23v and wire feed on low range anywhere from 225-300 Inches Per Minute. Your feeder has 2 ranges Hi/Low controled by a toggle over the feed pot/dial.
                        You can set the drag on the reel with the center nut, I set mine so that it doesn't unspool when I haul it around on my truck, this might be a bit tight by some standards, but I don't have time to reset it every time, I use 2 LN25's one for handrails with .035 and one with .052 for heavy equipment repairs.
                        With a watch set your feeder at 200 or 300 IPM and pull the triger for 6 seconds, this should spool 20 or 30 inches of wire,depending on your setting, if less, increase the tension on the roller. This gives you 1/10 of the wire speed. It's important to have this right. Hope this helps.
                        Weld well,
                        Geo

Comment

Working...
                        X