X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calplus
    • Jul 2006

Plasma Robotic Interface

I have looked through all the Miller literature I can find and cannot determine if the 2050 or 3080 plasma cutters come equipped with a CNC / robotic machine interface as standard equipment or if one can be added (my local dealer doesn't know either). I am specifically looking for the standard control parameters as well as arc voltage output for an automated torch height controller. Anyone out there that is using these machines for CNC cutting????
  • HAWK
    • Feb 2006

Not sure about the Millers, but the Hypertherm 1000 and up have standard and optional CNC interfaces.

On a different note: I just spent 2 weeks on plasma cutter demos: Thermal Dynamics, Hypertherm, ESAB, and Miller. The Spectrum 2050 won for what it's worth!

Comment

• H80N
      • Nov 2003

HAWK
      will a Trailblazer 301G support a 2050 to it's fullest capacity??
      am torn between that and a 625 for my mobile rig...
      thanks
      Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

• HAWK
        • Feb 2006

H80N,

The 301G will allow the Spectrum to run at 50 amps. This allows for 3/4" mild steel with no problems from what Dan at Miller says. It would take a 12KW machine, like the Pipe-Pro 304, to push the 2050 at 55 amps. However, the 2050 and the 301G are still going to give you more than the 625. Plus if you ever have to use shop wiring, you've got full capacity. I should have my 2050 running over the Thanksgiving Holiday and will let you know first hand. I do know the Hypertherm Powermax 600 (40 amp machine)and the ESAB 875 (60 amp machine) do not like the Trailblazer for a power source. I have first hand experience with both of these machines. They are nice on shop power, but forget about them on the Trailblazer.

Just hold on a day or two for Rock or Andy. They stay pretty covered up. Steven (ROCK) seems to be a real nice conscientious person and has helped me out of a jam several times. Try to email him from the forum.

Good Luck

Comment

• calplus
          • Jul 2006

Thanks for the input Hawk - My local dealer told me that he has a steady stream of the Hypertherm machines (mostly Max100's) in for service but has never had to service or do warrantee on a 2050, even those that are used in harsh environments. When you say the 2050 "won" the comparison test you did, what specifics did you think the machine was superior?

Comment

• HAWK
            • Feb 2006

calpus,

I like the torch unit. Even though it is made by Hypertherm, it is has a little better feel and a larger epoxy electode housing. The 2050 has 2 IGBT's - fast switching transistors that handle high current and heat loads. These are the heart of the inverter system. It has "fan on demand" and "wind tunnel" technology to minimize atmospheric and enviromental trash entering inside the machine. It also features the auto-line technology allowing me to run off 230v on my Trailblazer as well as hook into 480v three phase plant wiring without rehooking wires or changing machines. The biggest reason is it is the only machine I found that will truly perform with my Trailblazer. ESAB and Hypertherm claim their machines will do well on Miller's 10,000 watt generators, but I could not repeat their success with my demo machines. Last and probably least is the fact it is constructed in a fashion very similar to the XMT 304 multi-process inverter machine I owned several years back and kick myself at least once a day for selling it.

I bought some 50Amp 3 phase pin and sleeve Hubbell connectors and plugs and made up a pig tail for my Trailblazer where I can connect my 2050 or my Dynasty 200DX. I also am making an extra pigtail to connect to either machine and then with bare wires for the ground and 3 legs on the other end for plant disconnect wiring.

Comment

• HAWK
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by calplus
              Thanks for the input Hawk - My local dealer told me that he has a steady stream of the Hypertherm machines (mostly Max100's) in for service but has never had to service or do warrantee on a 2050, even those that are used in harsh environments. When you say the 2050 "won" the comparison test you did, what specifics did you think the machine was superior?
              calplus,

Here is a picture of a 1" piece of steel cut at 47 amps with the 2050 powered from my Trailblazer. Drop down to 7/8" and the cut is very clean with almost no kerf lines. I'm sure shop power would help this machine achieve its full published capacity, but I can't complain about its performance powered by the TB 301G.

Nice Machine
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X