Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HiFreq & Trailblazer 301g

Hi
    am about to take delivery of a new Trailblazer 301g.. 30A spoolgun.. wc24.. rcc-14..etc... decided to take the plunge and go mobile..
    Will set up tig capability... I already have an old esab hifreq unit that i would like to use if it is compatable with the TB... one local weld tech told me that older units would eat the electronics on the TB and that i should only use the HF-251D-1... is this sales fluff or is there real danger?... Have been welding for 30plus years.. majority of it TIG.. and Mig... have opened and repaired many HF units over the years..not much magic to them.. a high voltage tank circuit.. ..(typically resonant at 5mhz if I remember correctly). dual spark gap and a 1to1 transformer to impose the HF on the welding current... anyone have some thoughts or experience on this? factory guys please pipe up too!!
    TNX
    Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

anybody from miller awake??? was a valid question... where is ANDY??

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Comment

H809..........Sorry I missed you yesterday. I try to check this site at least once or twice a day.......

As I re-call if the add on attachment (HF) has unfiltered rf getting back to the 301g this will cause some turmoil........ However if you were to attach some 200 volt/50 mic caps to each lead going back to the 301g I think if running the other lead from caps to frame ground in the hf box.....That should eliminate hf back to the unit and isolate it.

Remember also hf radiates in a 50' circle in all directions..... and will attach itself to anything via antenna........phone lines, computer lines, etc. In the old days we did not filter much rf out...

I have a co worker SCOTTH in large industrial drive at Miller Electric I will ask him to add here.......

Once again I'm sorry I missed you yesterday. Many folks are takeing vacations currently to be with extended family's....

Regards.................Rock..

[email protected]
      ROCK

Comment

ROCK
        THANK YOU!!... the HF unit is indeed much like a big transmitter.. bearing more than a little resemblance to the old Marconi spark gap morse transmitters such as were on the Titanic...
        was thinking than in addition to filter caps one might wind both leads from the 301G through some (large) toroidal ferrite cores for a few turns to further attenuate the RF going back to the Trailblazer..
        that should choke a great deal of the RF that would otherwise travel right down the leads and into the machine...(between the 301g and the HF unit)
        Was thinking that I might add a full wave PWM chopper circuit to the AC input of the HF unit to control the duty cycle (current)... and while I was at it.. incorporate a gas solenoid with a postflow delay circuit so I will not have to mess with the manual valve on the torch....(have some time delay relays in my junkbox)
        Must tell you that you guys have done a remarkable engineering job on the 301G... it is a thing of beauty.. NOTHING on the market even comes close..
        Thanks Again
        Heiti

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 200

Comment

H80N, The Trailblazer has sufficient filtering for HF as long as your spark gaps don't exceed .008 each. You do need to filter both positive and negative cables inside the HF box with some .05 micro farad caps (1000 volt) to ground. The hf box needs to operate off of 115 volt ac or 24 volt ac. If you have a schematic I may be able to give you a few shortcuts to hooking the box and remote control up. Like bypassing the HF box for current control by just using a potentiometer or foot pedal or hand control...... and using a push button switch for energizing the HF box and contactor in the trailblazer. If you want to give me a call with any questions my number is 920-831-4851.

Comment

Scotth
            thank you.. have no schematic but the layout is typical of most HF units... it is in storage and will dig it out soon.. at that point i will trace and draw a schematic to send to you... am assuming if i follow your guidelines that the warranty on the 301G Trailblazer will remain intact...
            thanks again
            Heiti

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
            X