Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mm210 aluminum spoolgun, quality of weld?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mm210 aluminum spoolgun, quality of weld?

Hi, I am a proud owner of a mm210 and my ? is, how well can the mm210 weld with a spoolgun? welding aluminum of course. what all is needed to set it up for aluminum and about how much would it cost? also about to what thickness can I weld aluminum with it?

Thanks,
    Zach Kling

Zach,
    I also run a MM 210 and have the 3035 spool-gun, and have had great
    success with it on AL. I use it mostly on AL grain/freight trucks with thickness up to 1/2". All you need to weld AL with your spool is some AL wire and 100% argon shielding gas. Remember to push the weld and too go hot go fast.Might also try a larger tip versus your wire size. Good luck and let me know how it goes!
    Mike
    MACH 4 Welding

Comment

thanks, also I would like to set it up with both options ready(spoolgun and regular mig gun)does the spool gun come with a regulator and hoses and also don't I need a two cylinder rack to hold the tank of argon, or can I run steel mig with 100% argon?
      Thanks,
      Zach

Comment

Good questions:

You cannot run argon on regular steel. It will cause some undercut and lack of penetration depending on the weld parameters. Check with Miller, but I believe the spool gun comes with hoses and wire ready to connect. You will need to buy an argon regulator for the aluminum.
        The two cylinder racks are very handy for situations like yours. Good luck and have fun. Migging aluminum is a blast once you get the hang of it-yes it takes some practice.

Good Luck Again

Comment

Zach,
          Hawk is right about not using 100% argon for mild steel mig, but your
          MM210 comes with an automatic gas solenoid that gives you "gun on demand". This means that IF you have a tank of argon[Al spoolgun]and a tank of Co2[mild steel] and both tanks are open,you can operate either of the guns.Some people run an argon/Co2 mix for mild steel mig, but for my applications I stick to staight Co2.Again,good luck!
          Mike
          MACH 4 Welding

P.S. When using the other gun i.e. if you're using your spoolgun and switch over to the mig gun be sure to reset your heat and wire feeds.

Comment

Working...
          X