X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • In My Garage
    • Jan 2014

Dynasty 200 DX - Convince me!

I'm considering a TIG welder in the 200 to 250A range.

The Dynasty 200 DX fits that bill, but at more than twice the price of other TIG welders with the same features, I need convincing by those telling me why from a technical point of view, the Dynasty is better made.

First of all, where (in detail) is the welder made? I'm not talking about the discreet components because they have been made off-shore by all major electronics manufacturers for ages. I'm talking about the boards, the transformers...the major components. Miller was vague on this in an e-mail to me the other week.

Where is the foot pedal made? In another manufacturer's forum, some members have had issues with belts coming off the cog on their foot pedal. I mean, its a simple low tech item like a foot pedal...how can it not work reliably? Even as a hobbyist not making my living with my equipment, I do not have any patience for tools that do not work....they get flung through the garage door opening at warp speed.

So convince me. I'd like to hear from owners who use this welder on a daily basis at work. I already have an expert welder who uses a Dynasty 700 on a daily basis where I used to work giving me tips. He also pointed out Everlast and Longevity welders to me, so that has me wondering.
  • H80N
    • Nov 2003

Originally posted by In My Garage View Post
    I'm considering a TIG welder in the 200 to 250A range.

The Dynasty 200 DX fits that bill, but at more than twice the price of other TIG welders with the same features, I need convincing by those telling me why from a technical point of view, the Dynasty is better made.

First of all, where (in detail) is the welder made? I'm not talking about the discreet components because they have been made off-shore by all major electronics manufacturers for ages. I'm talking about the boards, the transformers...the major components. Miller was vague on this in an e-mail to me the other week.

Where is the foot pedal made? In another manufacturer's forum, some members have had issues with belts coming off the cog on their foot pedal. I mean, its a simple low tech item like a foot pedal...how can it not work reliably? Even as a hobbyist not making my living with my equipment, I do not have any patience for tools that do not work....they get flung through the garage door opening at warp speed.

So convince me. I'd like to hear from owners who use this welder on a daily basis at work. I already have an expert welder who uses a Dynasty 700 on a daily basis where I used to work giving me tips. He also pointed out Everlast and Longevity welders to me, so that has me wondering.
    A Zillion threads on this over the last 10 or so years...

do some searching and be prepared for a LOT of reading ...
    you shall find your answer...

The Dynasties are the finest TIG machines I have ever used and are continually evolving and improving..

long term track record means a lot to those of us who depend on our tools..

and yes... quality costs more.. not only the build quality and technology of the machine but the quality of the organization that stands behind it and support network as well

whether it is worth it for you is a question that only you can answer

quality tools can be a substantial investment..

BTW... they are built in Appleton, Wisconson...

Last edited by H80N; 01-15-2014, 10:10 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

• In My Garage
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by H80N View Post
      quality tools can be a substantial investment..
      I know. I have been using a very expensive name brand set of mechanics hand tools since 1975 (and I do not make a living with them as a hobbyist)...no names because I do not want to start a this is better than that debate. No regrets!

I will search and see what I come up with. The trouble is, most are very hesitant to post anything negative (although factual) on forums.

Thanks!

Comment

• In My Garage
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by H80N View Post
        BTW... they are built in Appleton, Wisconson...
        So are my mechanics hand tools...well at least head office is in Wisconsin.

That is what Miller related to me although they did say some of their items are off shore. As mentioned, they were vague.

Appleton...know it well having been to the EAA Fly-In in Oshkosh many times.

Comment

• H80N
          • Nov 2003

One other thing that you might take into consideration is resale value...

even if you never plan on selling.. used prices are a pretty good indicator as to how something may be regarded...

used Dynasty 200DX TIG machines hold their value very well... with several year old machines regularly bringing near new prices and substantially more than new offshore brands..

must be some reason for that...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

• Legion
            • Nov 2013

Re the foot pedal, I bought an SSC pedal (for my Dynasty) after reading lots of forum posts suggesting they're hard to beat. Made in USA.

Comment

• kize
              • Nov 2013

I know. I have been using a very expensive name brand set of mechanics hand tools since 1975 (and I do not make a living with them as a hobbyist)...no names because I do not want to start a this is better than that debate. No regrets!

I will search and see what I come up with. The trouble is, most are very hesitant to post anything negative (although factual) on forums.

Thanks!
              Ive found just the opposite. For every one positive post - there are 10 complaining. Very few spend time expressing their happiness with a product

Comment

• shovelon
                • Aug 2010

Although I have not used the Everlasting Longevitidal machines, I have used Linclone and ThermalArc inverter tigs that use the same Euro interface and let me tell you the Dynasty 200DX is simple. In fact the default parameters and Blue Lightning settings are all but spot on. The clearance effect that the Chinese stuff uses is still a mystery to me. Actually yes I did weld once with a Longevitude at SoCal Weld-O-Rama, that lasted about 5 minutes before the start circuit failed.
                Couple that with the unrivaled support I get from Miller and my LWS. Mail-Order Mayhem is not something I relish with my production equipment.

My personal Dynasty200DX is mounted to a dolly that I can load in my Subaru Truck myself, and when unloaded wheel into a hospital elevator and do SS repair on any floor plugged into house-current. I can also weld light Alum. I have been in clean rooms, restaurants, defense plants, and other places that require portable welding. Then plug into 230 volts at work, or my generator at home and weld full tilt.

A simple push of the polarity button gets you either to AC or DC, and since it has last use memory, you don't have to reset the thing every time you power it up. Did I forget to mention Blue Lightning arc start with tungsten size for choice of start force, pre-programed for you in advance for your welding pleasure????
                Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
                3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
                Miller Dynasty200DX
                ThermalArc 400 GTSW
                MillerMatic350P
                MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
                MKCobraMig260
                Lincoln SP-170T
                Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
                Hypertherm 1250
                Hypertherm 800
                PlasmaCam CNC cutter
                Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
                SiberHegner CNC Mill
                2 ea. Bridgeport
                LeBlond 15" Lathe
                Haberle 18" Cold Saw
                Doringer 14" Cold Saw
                6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

• stickermigtigger
                  • Nov 2012

Use one for five minutes. You'll take it home with you.
                  =======================
                  Miller 211 AutoSet
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                  Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
                  Francisco Goya

Comment

• cruizer
                    • Oct 2004

Thanks!
                    i'll post negative things about any brand that has problems. The 200DX really has none. There are minor preventative maintainance things that have to be done though, but that applys to all machines. A comparision would be the Miller 200 dx or the Thermal arc (Tweco) 201

Comment

• ASKANDY
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2002

Dynasty 200. Welcome to the site

Yes, the Miller home office is in Appleton, Wi
                      It has about a million sq ft of manufacturing.
                      There are also a number of manufacturing business units surrounding the Appleton area. The TIG products are in a town called Greenville, next to Appleton and that is where the Dynasty products are made.
                      Miller has its own circuit card design and assembly area at the main facility in Appleton.
                      The foot controls are also made in Appleton and they do use a clogged belt/gear driven potentiometer. And as you stated, it is a simple design and yes it is reliable.
                      Out of the 800 Motorsports machines I'm responsible for, foot pedals are the least of my concerns. I can say I've never had one just "jump" a cog or fall off!!?? If you've ever taken one apart, you'd see it's about impossible to fall off since its under spring tension and the clogged gear has a shoulder on it.
                      My biggest problem with foot pedals is people dropping crap on the cables and cutting the wires.
                      I have seen some potentiometers wear out over a long time of heavy use but those are easy to replace. You'll have that with any type potentiometer from any manufacturer.
                      Another design feature unique to the Dynasty 200 is the inverter engine.
                      Our engine is a universal design that works on any input power variation from 100V to 600V single or 3 phase. Other manufacturer's only work in certain voltage ranges like 120 V or 230V but not anywhere in between. So if you are using a 230 V input, if the power drops below 200, or whatever their "tolerance" is, your out of luck.
                      The Dynasty will run on anything.
                      I've even ran it on a generator that was running out of gas and the engine was hunting all over the place.
                      You also asked about transformers...
                      Since this is an inverter, there are no typical transformers. This is an electronic power conversion process. The transformers are extremely small and built with a special Litz wire. They don't fail.
                      Miller does make it's own transformers for welders AND rotors/staters for engine driven products.
                      Hope this helps you decide.
                      Ultimately, I hope you get to try one. You know what opinions are like

A-

Comment

• Railmen
                        • Mar 2006

Dynasty 200DX

Originally posted by kize View Post
                        Ive found just the opposite. For every one positive post - there are 10 complaining. Very few spend time expressing their happiness with a product
                        This is the same old things about planes, some people say planes are unsafe....

That's only be cause you only hear about the one that crashed, not the 100,000 that flew fine.............

I bought 2 200's a few years ago, and just love them, had a invertec 205 which is the direct one to the miller(well as close to the same) and it's not a bad machine but the miller is just higher on the scale.

I took a tour of the Miller plant in Appleton from Andy and what a place just awesome, so I asked why miller had so many more inverters over the red, simply put: Miller owns the patents to the inverter technology.

Sone of the tests they put on these machines before you get them is pretty hard on them, to get one that does not do what it should is not very likely.

If ya ever get a chance to see it, it's worth it.....

Railmen
                        2007 Trailblazer 302G
                        2004 Invision 354MP
                        1999 60 series feeder
                        2005 Maxstar 200DX
                        2007 CST280
                        1999 HF 251-1
                        older Hobart hefty wire feeder
                        Hyperthrem 600
                        Maxstar 150S(such a cute welder)
                        had and sold........
                        2003 XMT 304CC/CV
                        1947 Lincoln SA200G short hood
                        1963 Lincoln SA200G
                        1975 Lincoln SA200G(best machine ever had )
                        1970's Lincoln SAE400G
                        2 Maxstar's 200DX's
                        1 Maxstar 200SD
                        CST 280
                        2 CST 250
                        MM130

Railmen

Comment

• maxstar300LX
                          • Mar 2013

rigorous testing hmmmmm

Hey Railmen,

while you did the plant tour, did any of the guides mention specific industrial models like the dynasty/maxstar 300 series or the aerowave models?

Maxstar300lx

Comment

• cognoscentik9
                            • Nov 2011

Buy once cry once!

Comment

• Railmen
                              • Mar 2006

Plant tour

Originally posted by maxstar300LX View Post
                              Hey Railmen,

while you did the plant tour, did any of the guides mention specific industrial models like the dynasty/maxstar 300 series or the aerowave models?

Maxstar300lx
                              Hummmmmmm, never really asked about anything certain, but did see CST280's right off the line, hook up, power up, turn wide open 280 amps for 1hr straight if it's going to break I think that is where it will happen

Railmen
                              2007 Trailblazer 302G
                              2004 Invision 354MP
                              1999 60 series feeder
                              2005 Maxstar 200DX
                              2007 CST280
                              1999 HF 251-1
                              older Hobart hefty wire feeder
                              Hyperthrem 600
                              Maxstar 150S(such a cute welder)
                              had and sold........
                              2003 XMT 304CC/CV
                              1947 Lincoln SA200G short hood
                              1963 Lincoln SA200G
                              1975 Lincoln SA200G(best machine ever had )
                              1970's Lincoln SAE400G
                              2 Maxstar's 200DX's
                              1 Maxstar 200SD
                              CST 280
                              2 CST 250
                              MM130

Railmen

Comment

Working...
                              X