Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arc - Run Like **** :-)

Newbie experience:

In a past life I was a power distribution lineman. The process of getting used to arc behavior/characteristics with stick welding has been interesting, especially when a long arc occurs.

In my lineman days I encountered arcs such as opening switch gear under load with insulated hot sticks (and on occasion with rubber gloves and a hammer), when circuit grounds occurred, etc. There are probably still a couple of cross arms in the TEX/LA area from the 70's with my name written on them by using a tie wire as a pen.

One gets used to the sound, the view and occasionally the feel, given what it can do to the air around it if your close enough. Most of the time it's expected because of what you are doing, you know it's going to happen so no big deal when it does.

But there are times it's not expected and it crates a "holy ****, run like ****" moment. :-) One welding example would be when moving to the work and getting too close, accidentally striking an arc before you intend to.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about? :-)
    =======================
    Miller 211 AutoSet
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
    Francisco Goya

Really!!??

You censor the word h e l l??

Really???
    =======================
    Miller 211 AutoSet
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
    Francisco Goya

Comment

Originally posted by stickermigtigger View Post
      Really!!??

You censor the word h e l l??

Really???
      Yup and a whole bunch more. There we some posting problems some time ago and it was the only way to take care of it...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
      X