• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mx_racer428
    started a topic Water-cooled tig torch conversion fail

Water-cooled tig torch conversion fail

Morning all,
    I have a slight issue that I was hoping this group could help me with. I recently finished converting my syncrowave 200 to a water cooled torch. I went to weld some aluminum for the first time after converting and I cannot get it to weld, seams like I'm not getting any etching action and the weld pool instantly contaminates. Can't add any filler or anything. I swapped to my air cooled torch and it runs perfect. Not sure what ls what's going on. Here's my current set up.

• big mike
    replied
    Glad you got it fixed......just shows how the small stuff can trip you up.
    Are you going to cover the power connection on the side of the machine.....hate to see someone get zapped.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by mx_racer428 View Post
    BINGO!! Chinese collet was to long and the gas lense was not getting a proper seal. Thanks for all the help guys!
    VERY COOL...!!!

sometimes it is the simple oddball stuff...

Glad you got it sorted out....

Leave a comment:

• mx_racer428
    replied
    BINGO!! Chinese collet was to long and the gas lense was not getting a proper seal. Thanks for all the help guys!

Leave a comment:

• MMW
    replied
    It sounds to me like a gas issue. Whether you have coolant flowing or not shouldn't affect the arc to test it. Yes after a short time it will over heat but just to test it out it won't matter. Unplug the dinse & try blowing through it to make sure it is free/open. It could be a blockage but you said gas comes out so maybe a leak that is drawing in air to the gas?

Just to clarify when you change to the aircooled torch it works fine on the same material?

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Only thing that would be wrong on the plug when hooked up backwards is the fuse protection to the unit, as if it is backwards there wouldn't be any protection.

Otherwise the motor will only ever run in one direction.

Its ONLY on 3 phase applications that we can make the motor run in the opposite direction

Leave a comment:

• mx_racer428
    replied
    Originally posted by H80N View Post
    Cruizer has a point....

pretty easy to get those two lines flipped with one of those adaptors...

AND with the Miller absorption of Weldcraft....

ALL of the online hookup diagrams seem to have disapeared...

my reference links to weldcraft have gone dead and been intercepted by a useless Miller page??... NOT Optimal...
    With the adapter (miller) I have you can't hook the power/return like up wrong. As the return from adapter to the cooler that could be but if fallowed both feed and return lines and they are in the correct spot, I am curious if the cooler has a reversible motor in it for the pump and maybe the 3-prong 120v plug is wired in reverse since it's not the original plug. I am going to the welding shop tonight to pick up some non-china torch consumables. Try and rule everything out. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions so far. This is a great comminty.

Leave a comment:

• mx_racer428
    replied
    1/8" purple and also tried pure with no change.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by cruizer View Post
    Quite l ikely that the torch is hooked up backwards. The current carring conduit is the return line. The torch head is what must be cooled first. Its the other way, the conduit is cooled, however the head gets way hot and trouble happens shortly after.
    Cruizer has a point....

pretty easy to get those two lines flipped with one of those adaptors...

AND with the Miller absorption of Weldcraft....

ALL of the online hookup diagrams seem to have disapeared...

my reference links to weldcraft have gone dead and been intercepted by a useless Miller page??... NOT Optimal...
    Last edited by H80N; 12-11-2013, 10:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by mx_racer428 View Post
    I also tried raising the argon pressure too because it's acting like low gas flow or none at all but raising the pressure didn't change a thing. You can clearly hear and feel the argon flow coming out of my gas lense.
    try switching back to a standard cup and collet configuration to match the tungsten size you are using...(US Made name brand) one less variable

speaking of tungsten... what size, color code and make??

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Quite l ikely that the torch is hooked up backwards. The current carring conduit is the return line. The torch head is what must be cooled first. Its the other way, the conduit is cooled, however the head gets way hot and trouble happens shortly after.

Leave a comment:

• mx_racer428
    replied
    I also tried raising the argon pressure too because it's acting like low gas flow or none at all but raising the pressure didn't change a thing. You can clearly hear and feel the argon flow coming out of my gas lense.

Leave a comment:

• mx_racer428
    replied
    Running esab torch coolant, torch is new/untested. Water and power leads are hooked up correctly. The torch it self is a CK swivel head.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    I would ask what coolant fluid you are using??

water?

distilled water??

premixed low conductivity TIG coolant??

car antifreeze??

would also ask the brand and model of water cooled torch and collets... some of the soft chinese copper collets can crush and restrict argon flow.... leading to symptoms you described...
    Last edited by H80N; 12-11-2013, 08:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• big mike
    replied
    I can't see clearly if they are hooked up this way but I believe it should be,
    Red(power cable) into the back of the Dinse
    Red from the Dinse to the cooler
    Blue to the cooler
    Black to the Dinse

Are you sure you don't have a bad power cable?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X