Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cgotto6
    replied
    I would definitely use the process you are comfortable with if it is a critical part. With that said, it really doesn't sound like you should be welding anything critical based on your question. No offense, just throwing it out there, but maybe you should have it welded by a professional.

Leave a comment:

• snowbird
    replied
    aametalmaster
    Your mig set up and 7018 should be equal. I would think the metal would tear away from the weld if they came loose...Bob

+1

and your mig will be mucho faster without the flux to clean

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    Your mig set up and 7018 should be equal. I would think the metal would tear away from the weld if they came loose...Bob

Leave a comment:

• ParkerFly
    started a topic Need some advice - stick or mig?

Need some advice - stick or mig?

Hey all, I've got a personal project I'm working on and am getting pulled in a couple of difference directions so I figured I'd see if you guys could help.
    I've got to weld some grouser bars onto a sheet of steel. The sheet is about 1/4" thick, and the bars are 1"x2" (stood on edge, so it will be 2" tall, layed out at 45 degree angles). I have a Miller 252 running 75/25 gas, .035 70s6 wire. I'm an average welder on my good days. Some who know about this project have suggested that stick welding would be better with probably a 7018 rod. I am pretty familiar with stick welding but have never done it...I've never even struck an arc with one before. I do have access to a stick welder though. My question is, is there really an advantage here to one over the other? Especially considering I will be learning the stick as I go? These bars are under a ton of pressure and need to hold, so I'm open to any suggestions.
    Thanks for any help.

Justin
Working...
X