Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jarhead
    replied
    Qualls our service is 115/230 volt constant voltage. I feel that something inside is bypassing or shorting and letting the 230 leak back to the box on a 115 leg. thanks for the reply

Leave a comment:

• Jarhead
    replied
    Rock when the welder is unplugged it is reading right in the box, but when you plug the welder in and turn the power on one of the single phase legs which should read 115 in the box is reading around 230, which indicates to me that the stinger leg (230 volt) is shorting or bleeding back up one of the single phase (115 volt) legs to the box. I am just a shade tree electrician and I know something is wrong, just don't know what. thanks, I will have it checked by a professional.

Leave a comment:

• qualls
    replied
    three phase power

There used to be a 3 phase service type called "crazy phase or wild phase" I think in which the 3rd 3 phase leg voltage varies widely when not under load. It levels off when loaded. I don't think this service is common any more - used to be found out in the country.

Leave a comment:

• ROCK
    replied
    JARHEAD..............I'm going to guess you measured the box with the unit unplugged...........then remeasured inside the unit?????????

But yes indeed I think I would get her checked out..........Be safe.
    Rock.. [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• Jarhead
    started a topic three phase power

three phase power

I was on here about 6 weeks ago bragging about my 650amp miller mig welder and you know the old saying, if you brag on it it will break. Well it broke and I need some advice. It has been running 100 percent duty cycle for years and never a problem. Then all of a sudden it started blowing fuses. I tried slow blowing fuses and ran the welder for thirty minutes, stoped and took a volt meter and checked voltage at the box. I was reading 115 on left leg, 230 on center and 212 on right leg. I cut the welder off, unpluged it and read the voltages again in the box and they were 115,230,115 from left to right. I know I am going to have to put it in the shop. I just wondered if any of our welder/electricians out there have any ideas what it letting the stinger wire bleed back out on a 115 leg. I have seen many problems with welders over the years but never anything like this. Thanks and I really enjoy the forums.
Working...
X