X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slow50
    started a topic angle vs square vertical strength

angle vs square vertical strength

im building a welding table and i was gona go with 3x3 .120 square for the vertical legs. but a guy has some 3x3 .250 angle for sale for a little cheaper then what it would go for new. so im considering it for the vertical legs. the legs are gona have horizontal supports on top and down low too. what do you guys think? .120 square or .250 angle? ill only save about 20 bucks if i go angle but its heavyer.

• @cvmechanical
    replied
    This is the table i made a couple of weeks ago, and if your garage floor is anything like mine get yourself some 5/8" bolts and nuts and make levelers as in pic 2
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    replied
    Go with the tube, verses angle, When a wheel hits a crack in the cement they have a tendancy to want to fold much sooner than a tube will.

I just had a 6,000 Lb. Grapple on my bench so spend a couple bucks more and you wont be sorry.

Leave a comment:

• BD1
    replied
    Get angle and weld two together to make 3 x 3 square.

Leave a comment:

• slow50
    replied
    Originally posted by Country Metals View Post
    Just look at used equipment suppliers.

I bought 2 - 4' x 8' x 1" thick steel tables with 3x3 tube legs and cross braces and shelf for $500 each. The tops alone is worth 800.

For things like this, second hand is always a great option.
    ya im all about the second hand i got the top for free. ive been waiting to come across material for the legs for cheap but i cant wait any longer i need a table.

Leave a comment:

• jpence38
    replied
    Originally posted by STRENGTH AND POWER View Post
    here is how I did my table. Tubing for the legs, C channel for the table supports. Slots for clamps. overhang on the edges. I can put a clamp on 70% or more of the table. Comes in really handy.
    Nice table....think i am going to modify mine.

Leave a comment:

• STRENGTH AND POWER
    replied
    here is how I did my table. Tubing for the legs, C channel for the table supports. Slots for clamps. overhang on the edges. I can put a clamp on 70% or more of the table. Comes in really handy.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Country Metals
    replied
    Just look at used equipment suppliers.

I bought 2 - 4' x 8' x 1" thick steel tables with 3x3 tube legs and cross braces and shelf for $500 each. The tops alone is worth 800.

For things like this, second hand is always a great option.

Leave a comment:

• ja baudin
    replied
    Originally posted by slow50 View Post
    wow ja baudin thats a fancy table i like it. my top is 4'x4'x1/2". i do agree that square tube looks nicer then angle might just go with it. thanks for all the input.

My top is 4x4x3/8's. Just a little advise, bolt your top to the frame. It may not be flat after if you weld it. My plate was convex, but after bolting it laid perfectly flat.

Good luck, Ja
    Last edited by ja baudin; 10-29-2013, 10:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• slow50
    replied
    wow ja baudin thats a fancy table i like it. my top is 4'x4'x1/2". i do agree that square tube looks nicer then angle might just go with it. thanks for all the input.

Leave a comment:

• ja baudin
    replied
    The amount of weight is limited by the rating on the casters. They hold 500lbs. a piece I think. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• elvis
    replied
    Originally posted by ja baudin:313424
    I like the way tubing looks. Cleaner..

**** how much weight will that thing hold?

Leave a comment:

• Gingerboy
    replied
    Very pro design bud

Leave a comment:

• ja baudin
    replied
    I like the way tubing looks. Cleaner..
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• tommy2069
    replied
    I used 3" drill pipe for the legs on my table. I got some 1/2 " plate left over off a job . it was originally two tables but I joined them together to make one table 12' x5' . after having a table with angle iron legs I noticed it was a lot harder to move and most times when a leg got hung up on something it wants to bend didn't have that problem with pipe or tubing.going to be making a smaller table 4'x4' for the rear of my shop something small so I can move it outside or inside depending on wheather.i also weld an angle iron to the side of all my tables that way it serves as a soaopstone holder or small tool holder and aslso when a small pipe job comes up it's very easy to just lay the pipe in the angle iron and tack it no need to waist time making sure the pipe is square the angle iron does it for you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X