Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you run a syncrowave 350LX without a water cooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you run a syncrowave 350LX without a water cooler?

I may be buying a used syncrowave 350lx that has no accesories except the ground and foot pedal, so I figured I would buy the 350amp watercooled tig torch package. But this leaves me with no immediate funds for the watercooler. Can it be run safely at low settings without one? I dont want to buy an aircooled torch for now and then buy a watercooled one later with my watercooler.
    I would be doing 18 gauge and 11 gauge aluminum pipe.

Also, anything problematic issues with old syncrowave 350lx's? its a 2001 model.
    Thanks

Tom,
    I would say it should be save to run that torch at real low amps for short periods however being that it's aluminum you are welding, It may take more amperage than can be done safely without the cooler. You could rig up a water supply from a garden hose and run the other end of the water cooled torch down a drain. This would cool the torch properly enough to weld high amps. Just turn the faucet on until a steady amount of water ejects out the drain hose. You don't need too much pressure. I know it's a waste of water, but until you get the cooler, it's the best alternative.

Andy

ps.
    No issues with that style Syncrowave. It's a real good piece. Maybe more amps than you need but you know us guys...it's nice to have the extra power!

Comment

Originally posted by ASKANDY
      Tom,
      I would say it should be save to run that torch at real low amps for short periods however being that it's aluminum you are welding, It may take more amperage than can be done safely without the cooler. You could rig up a water supply from a garden hose and run the other end of the water cooled torch down a drain. This would cool the torch properly enough to weld high amps. Just turn the faucet on until a steady amount of water ejects out the drain hose. You don't need too much pressure. I know it's a waste of water, but until you get the cooler, it's the best alternative.

Andy

ps.
      No issues with that style Syncrowave. It's a real good piece. Maybe more amps than you need but you know us guys...it's nice to have the extra power!
      Thanks for the info, I plan to do racing suspension systems as well so I figured I would be better to have a 350 than a 250, dunno if its overkill, but I need at least 5/16" capabilties if not a little more.

as for the water hose trick, I read that I was supposed to use special water (available fron the miller dealer) is this true?
      Thanks
      Tom

Comment

When you get your cooler, yes. Well, there are a number of manufacturers of coolant but make sure it's TIG compatable. The TIG coolant is a special low conductivity coolant for use in High Frequency applications like TIG. It also has a lube and algaecide in it.

Andy

Comment

Working...
        X