Is the Miller Dynasty 280 DX Available Now? - Miller Welding Discussion Forums

Is the Miller Dynasty 280 DX Available Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tdwerner
    • Mar 2011

Is the Miller Dynasty 280 DX Available Now?

Is the Miller Dynasty DX available now? BR Welding says it is, but I know these companies all have Miller drop ship the unit. BR Welding shows the unit available, but no other companies have it listed. What's up?
  • Miller Welders
    • Jan 2012

The Dynasty and Maxstar 280 air-cooled product are currently in a nationwide, limited quantity rollout status. Please expect lead times for these products and purchase orders will be processed in the order of which they are received. You can contact your Miller Sales representative or customer service to receive the latest updates on lead times.

We recommend any customers who require a water-cooled system wait for the release of models that feature a Cooler Power™ receptacle designed to power and operate the Coolmate™ 1.3 (the Coolmate 1.3 would otherwise be required to plug into the facility 115V power). We will also be introducing complete water-cooled packages which include the Coolmate 1.3 and the Weldcraft® WP-280 torch. Please watch for future communications later in Q4 on the availability of machines with the Cooler Power feature and complete water-cooled packages.

Because Miller Electric sells through distribution partners it is up to the particular distributor to list an item if they so choose.

Comment

• shovelon
      • Aug 2010

I called my LWS to order a 280DX and was told only the basic 280 aircooled rig is available. So I asked when the water cooler model will be available because I said I have a cooler available. I was told perhaps late November, early December and the water cooler receptacle will only accept a special plug.

In light of having to buy the miller cooler with a special plug I may have to rethink this purchase. Perhaps an adapter will be available. Otherwise I may have to just plug my cooler into a wall socket.
      Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
      3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
      Miller Dynasty200DX
      ThermalArc 400 GTSW
      MillerMatic350P
      MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
      MKCobraMig260
      Lincoln SP-170T
      Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
      Hypertherm 1250
      Hypertherm 800
      PlasmaCam CNC cutter
      Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
      SiberHegner CNC Mill
      2 ea. Bridgeport
      LeBlond 15" Lathe
      Haberle 18" Cold Saw
      Doringer 14" Cold Saw
      6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

• regal2800
        • May 2007

wow that would really be silly if they put a proprietary AC plug for the cooler.

Terry, i dont think it would be hard to re-wire your current cooler if that happens. just buy the plug or pigtail from miller and wire it to your cooler.

Comment

• H80N
          • Nov 2003

Originally posted by shovelon View Post
          I called my LWS to order a 280DX and was told only the basic 280 aircooled rig is available. So I asked when the water cooler model will be available because I said I have a cooler available. I was told perhaps late November, early December and the water cooler receptacle will only accept a special plug.

In light of having to buy the miller cooler with a special plug I may have to rethink this purchase. Perhaps an adapter will be available. Otherwise I may have to just plug my cooler into a wall socket.
          Terry

I had heard some stuff that made me wonder too.... so I asked on the other thread.... Post #17

Never did get an answer...
          Last edited by H80N; 10-26-2013, 12:44 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

• cruizer
            • Oct 2004

GOING TO GUESS AND SAY THE " Special plug" is just like the Lincoln where the cooler only comes on as the foot pedal is pressed, cept Lincoln doesn't use a special plug.

Comment

• H80N
              • Nov 2003

One of the tantalyzing rumors ...

Goes that the water cooled Dynasty 280DX would have water passages inside to aid cooling and increase the duty cycle... so that the water from the coolmate that cools the torch would provide additional cooling for the power supply...

Interesting thought...
              Last edited by H80N; 10-26-2013, 07:24 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 200

Comment

• H80N
                • Nov 2003

Water cooled mystery..

They posted the manuals and I did a little looking for the "Special Connector" for the water cooled version

Nothing in the users manual shows anything too exotic..…

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o253086d_mil.pdf

The parts book shows the back panel prepunched for the connector

Figure 16-4. Panel, Rear w/Components LOOKS LIKE THE MONITOR POWER CONNECTOR THAT THEY USED ON THE FIRST IBM PC COMPUTERS…(1983)

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/t253086a_pt_mil.pdf

Maybe one of the Miller Factory Technical people could confirm or deny??
                Last edited by H80N; 10-30-2013, 07:23 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 200

Comment

• H80N
                  • Nov 2003

if you look at the connector in the parts book and the bottom right aux power connector on this PC power supply

Click image for larger version

Name:	pc supply.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	516155

looks like the coolmate connector on the back of the watercooled Dynasty 280DX doesn't it..??

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 200

Comment

• shovelon
                    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                    if you look at the connector in the parts book and the bottom right aux power connector on this PC power supply

[ATTACH]33229[/ATTACH]

looks like the coolmate connector on the back of the watercooled Dynasty 280DX doesn't it..??
                    It sure does. This is going to get interesting. I have a bad feeling about it.

Miller Dynasty700DX
                    Miller Dynasty200DX
                    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
                    MillerMatic350P
                    MKCobraMig260
                    Lincoln SP-170T
                    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
                    Hypertherm 1250
                    Hypertherm 800
                    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
                    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
                    SiberHegner CNC Mill
                    2 ea. Bridgeport
                    LeBlond 15" Lathe
                    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
                    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
                    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

• regal2800
                      • May 2007

Why is this such a big deal? The wire is still 2 conductor with one ground, so it should be real easy to fab up our own adapters. These are all "standard plugs" readily available at home depot or electric supply houses. It's like the miller MVP adapters. Most guys including myself wired up our own 110v and 220v adapters.

Comment

• Miller Welders
                        • Jan 2012

The synthetic AC power is designed to be sufficient for running a Coolmate unit. Per the request of many industrial customers, we used another fairly common receptacle instead of a standard duplex receptacle (often referred to as a wall outlet). Doing so will help eliminate misuse of the power provided out of the machine. Miller does not recommend end customers opening the machine and any modifications would certainly void the warranty we provide.

The coolant will not be routed through the machine; rather, Miller has utilized a wind-tunnel design to efficiently cool key components. The machines intended for air cooled use can certainly be paired with a water cooler but do not feature the dedicated use receptacle. A water cooler could be used but will not be capable of being controlled or powered by a receptacle in the power-source and will have to be plugged into a facility 115V outlet.

Comment

• H80N
                          • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Miller Welders View Post
                          The synthetic AC power is designed to be sufficient for running a Coolmate unit. Per the request of many industrial customers, we used another fairly common receptacle instead of a standard duplex receptacle (often referred to as a wall outlet). Doing so will help eliminate misuse of the power provided out of the machine. Miller does not recommend end customers opening the machine and any modifications would certainly void the warranty we provide.

The coolant will not be routed through the machine; rather, Miller has utilized a wind-tunnel design to efficiently cool key components. The machines intended for air cooled use can certainly be paired with a water cooler but do not feature the dedicated use receptacle. A water cooler could be used but will not be capable of being controlled or powered by a receptacle in the power-source and will have to be plugged into a facility 115V outlet.
                          SYNTHETIC AC??

is this power available internally in both aircooled and watercooled versions??

Would the only diference be the addition of the pigtail and connector??

or is there an inverter board specific to the watercooled version that generates this power??

how much current is available to power a water cooler should the user desire to add one at a later date??...

is the aircooled power supply field upgradable to watercooled ready status..??.

given of course being done by factory authorized techs...??

or is there some major difference between the units??

This begs the question... why not just install that $2 connector on all Dynasty/Maxstar 280 power supplies? rather than having two discrete versions??
                          Last edited by H80N; 10-31-2013, 11:16 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
                          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Millermatic 200

Comment

• travisc454
                            • Apr 2011

water cooled machine.... AWESOME!
                            100% duty cycle at 200 amps..... AWESOME!
                            3 phase... AWESOME!
                            52 lbs.... AWESOME!
                            Well done Miller!
                            Performance Aluminum Fabrication

Comment

• shovelon
                              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by travisc454 View Post
                              water cooled machine.... AWESOME!
                              100% duty cycle at 200 amps..... AWESOME!
                              3 phase... AWESOME!
                              52 lbs.... AWESOME!
                              Well done Miller!
                              Whacko cooler plug.....PRICELESS!

Miller Dynasty700DX
                              Miller Dynasty200DX
                              ThermalArc 400 GTSW
                              MillerMatic350P
                              MKCobraMig260