Is the Miller Dynasty 280 DX Available Now? - Miller Welding Discussion Forums

Is the Miller Dynasty 280 DX Available Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shovelon
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Miller Welders View Post
    The synthetic AC power is designed to be sufficient for running a Coolmate unit. Per the request of many industrial customers, we used another fairly common receptacle instead of a standard duplex receptacle (often referred to as a wall outlet). Doing so will help eliminate misuse of the power provided out of the machine. Miller does not recommend end customers opening the machine and any modifications would certainly void the warranty we provide.

The coolant will not be routed through the machine; rather, Miller has utilized a wind-tunnel design to efficiently cool key components. The machines intended for air cooled use can certainly be paired with a water cooler but do not feature the dedicated use receptacle. A water cooler could be used but will not be capable of being controlled or powered by a receptacle in the power-source and will have to be plugged into a facility 115V outlet.
    So it shows in the Dynasty280 owners manual that the coolmate 1.3 plugs into a standard household 115volt wall socket. Will it need an adapter to plug into the back of the 280?

Can I use said adapter to plug my Bernard cooler into the Dynasty280?
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

• H80N
      • Nov 2003

What we could really use now is to have someone from the Dynasty 280 technical team to clear up these questions... should not be such a big deal if we get someone with intimate knowledge of the machine.....
      Last edited by H80N; 10-31-2013, 07:42 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

• traumajunkie
        • Oct 2009

Is the Miller Dynasty 280 DX Available Now?

Does Nancy Palosi work for Miller now? "First you have to purchase the machine to see what's in it"....

Comment

• shovelon
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by H80N View Post
          What we could really use now is to have someone from the Dynasty 280 technical team to clear up these questions... should not be such a big deal if we get someone with intimate knowledge of the machine.....
          I have my west coast techies working on answers as well. They are pretty savvy.

Miller Dynasty700DX
          Miller Dynasty200DX
          ThermalArc 400 GTSW
          MillerMatic350P
          MKCobraMig260
          Lincoln SP-170T
          Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
          Hypertherm 1250
          Hypertherm 800
          PlasmaCam CNC cutter
          Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
          SiberHegner CNC Mill
          2 ea. Bridgeport
          LeBlond 15" Lathe
          Haberle 18" Cold Saw
          Doringer 14" Cold Saw

Comment

• ssmoore
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by shovelon View Post
            I have my west coast techies working on answers as well. They are pretty savvy.
            I bought and have a 280dx and the 1.3 coolmate. The coolmate has a standard wall plug on the cord. The cord itself looks to be the same as a computer uses that has the 3 prong end that plugs in the power supply and standard 115volt wall plug on the other end. So instead of a special adapter they could just supply a new cord with the correct end as the cord is removable.

I called Miller several times and was told the issue with the coolmate version was getting it to transform any of the various voltages as well as 1 or 3 phase power and make it small enough to fit into the 280 case without blocking all the air flow. I decided I wouldn't wait for the coolmate version as I felt that non coolmate version would have better airflow regardless and its not that big of a deal for me to plug it into the wall.
            Last edited by ssmoore; 11-01-2013, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• H80N
              • Nov 2003

Originally posted by ssmoore View Post
              I called Miller several times and was told the issue with the coolmate version was getting it to transform any of the various voltages as well as 1 or 3 phase power and make it small enough to fit into the 280 case without blocking all the air flow. I decided I wouldn't wait for the coolmate version as I felt that non coolmate version would have better airflow regardless and its not that big of a deal for me to plug it into the wall
              So it does sound very much like there is an aux inverter board inside the water cooled version of the Dyn 280 to provide the 120vac for the coolmate..

wish one of the TECHNICAL folks at Miller could clarify and shed more light on this.....

sounds more like a "FIX" rather than a component that was planned for and integrated into the overall design from the beginning..
              Last edited by H80N; 11-01-2013, 02:20 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 200

Comment

• ssmoore
                • Nov 2013

So it does sound very much like there is an aux inverter board inside the water cooled version of the Dyn 280 to provide the 120vac for the coolmate..

wish one of the TECHNICAL folks at Miller could clarify and shed more light on this.....

sounds more like a "FIX" rather than a component that was planned for and integrated into the overall design from the beginning..
                They also told me that its not going to control the coolmate at all. Just provide a place to plug the coolmate in and that's it.

Comment

• H80N
                  • Nov 2003

Originally posted by ssmoore View Post
                  They also told me that its not going to control the coolmate at all. Just provide a place to plug the coolmate in and that's it.
                  Just gets better and better??.. don't it??...

BTW... welcome to the forum..

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 200

Comment

• Miller Welders
                    • Jan 2012

Thanks everyone for your interest! There is a pretty substantial difference internally due to the fact that the water-cooled models will have extra components that are necessary to generate the power for the cooler. The power for the cooler will be available in only the models for water-cooled use - this could be a power-source that someone purchases to use for air cooled use temporarily but intends to pair with a water cooler at in the future or it could be a complete runner package.

There will be two cords available in order to plug the cooler into either a water-cooled power-source or into a duplex receptacle. Any complete runner packages will come standard with the appropriate cord to allow the cooler to be powered through the dedicated use receptacle. Please stay tuned for more information as we approach the release of those models in the next couple of months.

Comment

• H80N
                      • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Miller Welders View Post
                      There is a pretty substantial difference internally due to the fact that the water-cooled models will have extra components that are necessary to generate the power for the cooler. The power for the cooler will be available in only the models for water-cooled use - this could be a power-source that someone purchases to use for air cooled use temporarily but intends to pair with a water cooler at in the future or it could be a complete runner package.
                      Since there does appear to be a substantial difference between Air Cooled and Water Cooled power supplies...

What is the price differential between the two??

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 200

Comment

• shovelon
                        • Aug 2010

Since there does appear to be a substantial difference between Air Cooled and Water Cooled power supplies...

What is the price differential between the two??
                        I have been waiting a week for price confirmation.

I have been welding thousands of small parts keeping my Dynasty200 quite busy. So far I have about 5000 small parts to weld, 50 array systems, 6 cavitation reactor systems, and a couple of ground support structers before the end of the year so I am ready to buy. That is why I have been offered a loaner until the water cooled unit is available. At that time I can take my 200 back home where it belongs.

Miller Dynasty700DX
                        Miller Dynasty200DX
                        ThermalArc 400 GTSW
                        MillerMatic350P
                        MKCobraMig260
                        Lincoln SP-170T
                        Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
                        Hypertherm 1250
                        Hypertherm 800
                        PlasmaCam CNC cutter
                        Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
                        SiberHegner CNC Mill
                        2 ea. Bridgeport
                        LeBlond 15" Lathe
                        Haberle 18" Cold Saw
                        Doringer 14" Cold Saw

Comment

• ssmoore
                          • Nov 2013

Just gets better and better??.. don't it??...

BTW... welcome to the forum..
                          Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully I can be some use around here.

Steve

Comment

• t1113rs
                            • Feb 2008

I will wait for the water-cooled version; but i will make sure to trade it in for another Dynasty 280 about 2 years 6 months into the warranty. I bought my Dynasty 200 new in the very beginning when Miller came out with it... I should have traded it in once the blue lightning and waveform updates came along. Now my HF board just recently gave out and I've been using it in lift arc mode only.... but I can't really complain because I bought it new in 2003, so it gave me 10 good years. Back then, they didn't have the full 3/5 year warranty... The updates to the Dynasty 200 came along because of problems reported in the field. I will be selling my Dynasty 200dx on ebay really soon, I think it will still command a good price even with a bad HF board. The LWS wanted $1500 to fix it, but I just paid the $85 inspection fee and decided to let the purchaser fix it themselves by ordering parts from miller4less.com instead of trying to dabble with it myself.
                            XMT 350 w/ S-75 DXA Feeder
                            and a Bernard 300 gun
                            Optima Pulsing Pendant
                            XR-W wire feeder + Coolmate 4
                            with an XR-W Edge Gun

Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                            Regular Passport

Dynasty 200DX
                            Trailblazer 301G w/Freak Box &
                            S-32P volt sensing wire feeder

Spectrum 1000 Plasma
                            Spectrum 375 Xtreme Plasma
                            Regular Spectrum 375 Plasma

Victor H315FC torch & accessories
                            Victor 100FC torch & accessories
                            Meco torch & accessories by Kent White

Comment

• tdwerner
                              • Mar 2011

It isn't totally obvious about the auxiliary power connection issue. Miller alluded to it but didn't make it completely obvious about what is going on. The problem they have is the power feed to the 280DX is 220v, not 110v. Therefore to supply 110v power to the Coolmate requires another smaller power converter to be included in the 280DX. It will undoubtedly be solid state in order to keep that 52 lb. weight goal and keep the packaging of the unit the same - not a simple task. The purpose of the special connector is to make sure something is not connected to the unit which will exceed the max power of the on board power converter, as it is being designed for the Coolmate 1.3 electrical requirements, nothing else. It will probably have short circuit protection, but overstressing is not a good thing.

Comment

• tdwerner
                                • Mar 2011

The more I think about it I will be inclined to get the model without the water cooled power option. Its just something else that can go wrong vs a plug going to a 110v outlet.

Comment

Working...
                                X