X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• makowicki
    started a topic cutting heating oil tank

cutting heating oil tank

Sure its been asked is sazall ok for cutting open a 275 gallon oil tank? My fire pit is done time for a new one.

• JerseyWelder
    replied
    Very true.....looks like Nathan got LUCKY.....like many do....some people are too stubborn to listen.....just cause it didn't explode this time doesn't mean it never will. Dave
    Originally posted by Helios View Post
    When oil vapor is at high temperature in the presence of oxygen, trust me – it explodes just fine.

Oh, and by the way – an oil fire can kill you just as dead as an acetylene fire.

Leave a comment:

• Helios
    replied
    Originally posted by Nathan128 View Post
    It's an oil tank. Oil burns not explodes.
    When oil vapor is at high temperature in the presence of oxygen, trust me – it explodes just fine.

Oh, and by the way – an oil fire can kill you just as dead as an acetylene fire.

Leave a comment:

• shovelon
    replied
    Originally posted by jrscgsr View Post
    I'll just throw my 2 cents in if the original poster is still alive. My old boss filled a diesel truck gas tank with water to weld a small repair on it, after a couple seconds of welding the tank suddenly ballooned and push him back. The residual diesel on the inside of the tank turned to vapor with the welding heat then ignited despite being filled with water. He was lucky and didn't get hurt, but honestly the only way to safely weld/cut a fuel tank is to use a degreasing cleaner first then purge the tank with a non reactive gas. If I can't do that then I don't work on it.
    Same thing happened to me years ago. Customer swore he flushed out the tank. It knocked me across the shop. Never again without purge.

Leave a comment:

• jrscgsr
    replied
    I'll just throw my 2 cents in if the original poster is still alive. My old boss filled a diesel truck gas tank with water to weld a small repair on it, after a couple seconds of welding the tank suddenly ballooned and push him back. The residual diesel on the inside of the tank turned to vapor with the welding heat then ignited despite being filled with water. He was lucky and didn't get hurt, but honestly the only way to safely weld/cut a fuel tank is to use a degreasing cleaner first then purge the tank with a non reactive gas. If I can't do that then I don't work on it.

Leave a comment:

• sturugged
    replied
    depends on which way you want to cut it

I have had good luck filling stuff with water till it overflows, then if you have to drain some out to below your cut line. you must be sure that the tank has been completely drained of any liquid fuel before hand and then cleaned out good. pressure washer with detergent works nice. The water totally displaces any of the residual vapours. I even held a bbq lighter over the filler opening and the flame never even flickered. ( and for those guys that think i did this with the empty tank and it was Full right up to the filler spout. No flames, no explosion. Of course you have to ensure any oils or fuel are disposed of to ensure environmental regulations are met. Have done this to several fuel heating oil tanks and even propane bbq tanks with the valves removed. Hit it with the plasma cutter and no issues. Im sure the old oxy-acetylene would work equally well.

Leave a comment:

• Fireman
    replied
    Do as Jersey Welder says........

Leave a comment:

• Fireman
    replied
    Do as Jersey welder says. Anything you use that causes sparks is taking a chance unless you do the correct things first. Fuel oil may only be a combustible with a flash point above 100deg F. but if a blade gets hot enough to burn your finger how hot is that. Certainly it's well above the 100 deg F.. If the blade gets hot enough to vaporize residual fuel then there is a great chance of an ignition and explosion. I would also be spraying my blade with soapy water while i was cutting just for added safety. Just saying............

Leave a comment:

• zibby
    replied
    cutting heating oil tank

Sawzaa is ok. Anything flame related is NO GO.

Leave a comment:

• eecervantes83
    replied
    Why? To ensure you allowed enough air into the tank to get that perfect oxy-to-fuel explosive ratio? [/QUOTE] thats funny

Leave a comment:

• JerseyWelder
    replied
    Dump a pound or two of dry ice in or dump a c02 extinguisher in before you do either....
    Originally posted by Helios View Post
    Why? To ensure you allowed enough air into the tank to get that perfect oxy-to-fuel explosive ratio?

Leave a comment:

• Nathan128
    replied
    cutting heating oil tank

It's an oil tank. Oil burns not explodes.

Leave a comment:

• Nathan128
    replied
    cutting heating oil tank

It was a 500 gal oil tank. It had been sitting for a couple years and in case you didn't know oil burns not explodes. Ya the oil burned inside it but no explosions.

Leave a comment:

• Fireman
    replied
    Do not cut the tank with a torch or plasma cutter without purging with inert gas or filling with water. The heat will vaporize remaining liquid and create an explosive atmosphere inside the tank. Only use a sawzall if you can have someone keep soapy water on the blade the whole time you are cutting and a slower speed with good blades. This way no heat to vaporize the fuel. Oh a co2 extinguisher can be used as a purge gas if one is laying around plus nitrogen or argon will work also. Good luck..................

Leave a comment:

• snowbird
    replied
    fill with water and use air tool grinder or sawzall.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X