X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjgriffis
    • Sep 2013

job interview question

I have an interview with Union Pacific railroad for a welders helper position on Friday. Every other welding job interview ive been to ive worn jeans and boots ready to go to work well this is a littlr different im interviewing with their HR people at a hotel. I dont have a clue what the proper attire is for this interview please help guys.... and if yall have any other tips for me that wohld also be great. Thanks guys much appreciated.
  • spence648
    • Apr 2009

I would just dress normal. I dont think you should dress up for a job unless its a management or supervisor position. Basically any job where you must act professional you must also look it. To me if i seen a welder come in all dressed up i would think hes scared to get dirty.

Comment

• HomerJSapien
      • Jan 2013

Dress for success

I'm on the other end of the stick. I would not show up in casual attire. It does not show respect for the job or the interviewer. You probably don't want to overdress, but you certainly don't want to show up in work clothes or jeans and a tee-shirt either. I've been to many interviews through the years and I always dressed appropriately (and was successful nearly ALL the time). How a man dresses for a job interview says a lot about the man and how important the interview is to him.

Comment

• jjgriffis
        • Sep 2013

I guess a nice pair of jeans and a nice collared polo shirt would probably be fine then. Ive never interviewed with a big company like this before either. So im not really too sure what to expect. Thanks guys again

Comment

• HomerJSapien
          • Jan 2013

Think of it like this...who would you hire; the guy dressed in a pair of "nice" jeans, or the guy who put a little thought into what he wore? To me, it's a no-brainer. All things considered, if there were 2 candidates for the job and they both had near equal qualifications, I know who I'd choose. It's a tough world out there and you need every advantage you can get...

Comment

• Synchroman
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by jjgriffis View Post
            I guess a nice pair of jeans and a nice collared polo shirt would probably be fine then. Ive never interviewed with a big company like this before either. So im not really too sure what to expect. Thanks guys again
            Besides normal dress as suggested, it would be a good idea to read and learn as much on the company's operations as possible beforehand. Interviewers (I've been one) like it when an interviewee shows knowledge of the company.

Also, and this may seem simplistic, don't forget to ask for the job...LOL.
            Miller Syncrowave 200
            Milermatic 252
            Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Comment

• HomerJSapien
              • Jan 2013

That's good advice. Also, don't be afraid to turn the job down if it doesn't feel right (provided you're not desperate, which will undoubtedly show during the course of the interview). Just because they may offer you the job, if you aren't comfortable with everything (or at least the really important things), it probably isn't the right job. If it's going to be long term employment, it has to be a good fit for both the employer and the employee. They're not going to hire you if they don't feel that you will be an asset to them and you won't be happy if you aren't satisfied with what they have to offer you in terms of salary, working conditions, company philosophy, etc.

Comment

• jjgriffis
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by HomerJSapien View Post
                That's good advice. Also, don't be afraid to turn the job down if it doesn't feel right (provided you're not desperate, which will undoubtedly show during the course of the interview). Just because they may offer you the job, if you aren't comfortable with everything (or at least the really important things), it probably isn't the right job. If it's going to be long term employment, it has to be a good fit for both the employer and the employee. They're not going to hire you if they don't feel that you will be an asset to them and you won't be happy if you aren't satisfied with what they have to offer you in terms of salary, working conditions, company philosophy, etc.
                Thats good advice im already employed as a welder technically it would be a step down to take this job as a welders helper however it is much much better pay and benefits. Where im at now im only a few dollars above minimum wage with no benefits. Im flying out tomorrow night to Baton Rouge where the interview is at and im in Gainesville,Fl. So taking this job also involves picking my family up and moving to New Orleans(Avondale). Ive been applying for railroad positions for about 4.5yrs now and this is the first time ive been selected for an interview. Now im still confused about what to wear for this interview. As i said before every interview ive ever had for welding jobs involves boots jeans and a t shirt with my hood in hand ready to take a welding test. Ive had several different answers so i dont know what to do.

Comment

• spence648
                  • Apr 2009

I shoulda been more specific. Im not saying go in work clothes. Im just saying dress as you usually would when you dress nice. And not to go overboard with dress pants shoes tie etc. Learning about the company beforehand is an excellent idea. It shows u want to work there and dont just need a job.

Comment

• HomerJSapien
                    • Jan 2013

That's a big move if you get the job. All the more reason to make sure it's what you really want. It will be hard to explain to your wife that you made a mistake 1 month into a new job (believe me, I've been there)!

It's also very good advice to learn as much about the company as you can. And have a list of questions that you may want to ask the interviewer...such as type of safety program, company policies, etc. Whatever may be important points to you.

My suggestion would be to wear something like Dockers & a sport shirt.

GOOD LUCK in whatever you decide. Quality people are always in demand.

Comment

• echinacea
                      • Sep 2013

ask about what training programs they offer to build up even more of a skillset. i am in a different industry mind you, but people who show up wanting to learn more than just their job are an asset.

Comment

• jjgriffis
                        • Sep 2013

Figured id post an update. I took your advice for dressing for success. Khaki slacks, dress shoes, and a nice button up shirt. Interview went phenominally well. I will know by next week if i am selected for the job. I think my veterans status and all of my welding experience had a very positive impact. All i can do now is wait and hope for the best. Thank you guys for the advice and i believe that it really helped me a lot.

Comment

• HomerJSapien
                          • Jan 2013

Sounds very encouraging. After you've had an interview, you usually come away with a feeling on how it went and it sounds like you had a really good interview. Hopefully, things will work out well for you. Keep us posted and good luck...

Comment

Working...
                          X