Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timw
    replied
    When shopping for a MIG 3 1/2 years ago I ask a local INDEPENDENT welder repair guy if the MM 210 had any issues? He told me "IF IT'S BLUE, BUY IT". So far he has been right!
    I have bought a total of 8 Miller Portables that needed repair over the last 20 years (5 of them for $300. , wish I could do that again!). Everyone needed engine work, the welder parts all worked and the units had all been treated badly.
    I also bought a 1979 Lincoln 300/300 Stick/TIG machine that was not working 5 years ago. A monster, weighed over 600 lbs. I found a bad PC board in it. I contacted Lincoln with the board number and all other info. I was told the part was no longer available. What a deal that was, I resold it at a loss to a guy that needed a lawn ornament.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    We can easily get into brand wars but all of these major machines are so good, sometimes it boils down to colors. Some have some minor characteristic differences that really only the most finicky operators could spot. Most of my stuff is red because when I was buyig my dealer was red only, they now have been bought out and have 3 colors but mainly red and blue. The only machine I ever had a problem with was a red plaz, about 12 yrs old and crapped a board. I bought a 2050 to replace it. I actually like the cut a bit better on the red but that may have been from running it so long too and I may need slightly bigger nozzels??? The torch saftey stuff on the red was junky right from the start though, who ever thought it would be a great idea to put those fine wires in that environment should be beat. I dont care for the drag cups on either one. I think I may have got the 625 instead of the 2050 but I am up in the air about future plans and thought the multi V option may come in handy sometime.

Leave a comment:

• SST4530
    replied
    Miller Bocat

I bought a used Miller Bobcat 225 propane rig last year for $ 1100.00. It has about 700 hr. on it and I drag it all over the country with me. Runs like a champ, never a problem so far, very dependable.

Leave a comment:

• garagehermit
    replied
    how reliable are they

New member, first reply:
    Bought a Millermatic mig welder over 20 years ago and still going strong with no repairs. Just bought a Miller Dynasty 200 DX as a retirement present to myself. Having fun trying to learn all the new bells and whistles.

Leave a comment:

• JimYoung
    replied
    Used Miller

I bought an old MillerMatic 90 MIG welder for a couple hundred bucks, it's a great little machine that runs like it was made yesterday... I just keep making iron stuff, and it never lets me down.. You do have to get used to the duty cycle though .. but thats just a matter of leaning to time yourself.. "Ride with the best.. go miller"

Leave a comment:

• cope
    replied
    Originally posted by george lathbury
    Hi All,
    I have in my shop 2 used Lincoln SP200 welders. I bought them both for $400.00 in 1997, they have been in service everyday and the only thing I have done is replace the fan blade on one of them, it spun the center. I also bought a used Miller Pulstar450 for $1,100.00 with wire feeder, I use it for spray transfer and have had no trouble with this machine either. The answer to the used equipment question for me anyway is if the price is right buy it.
    I buy used on a lot of big equipment, with the thought in mind, is this something I can fix or is it cost effective to repair it, worst case. I try not to be under the gun when I'm buying so that I can weigh my options. Do I have to have this right now? In this case if I can't wait, I buy new, in order to get the warranty and the tech support, as in my Miller XMT.
    Weld Well,
    Geo
    George, I agree. I bought my two main welders used. One is a 250 amp Miller AC stick built 1968 and the other is a PowCon SM200 stick/mig inverter built in 1986. By all accounts I was crazy to buy a used inverter that was out of production, but they don't last long on Ebay or anywhere else they show up for sale. Condition is the key as in any used purchase.

Leave a comment:

• george lathbury
    replied
    Hi All,
    I have in my shop 2 used Lincoln SP200 welders. I bought them both for $400.00 in 1997, they have been in service everyday and the only thing I have done is replace the fan blade on one of them, it spun the center. I also bought a used Miller Pulstar450 for $1,100.00 with wire feeder, I use it for spray transfer and have had no trouble with this machine either. The answer to the used equipment question for me anyway is if the price is right buy it.
    I buy used on a lot of big equipment, with the thought in mind, is this something I can fix or is it cost effective to repair it, worst case. I try not to be under the gun when I'm buying so that I can weigh my options. Do I have to have this right now? In this case if I can't wait, I buy new, in order to get the warranty and the tech support, as in my Miller XMT.
    Weld Well,
    Geo

Leave a comment:

• wooly
    replied
    nah nah nah nah,nah nah nah nah hey hey hey ohooowahhhhhh,yeah cuz lincoln 300 amps below nowadays suck,miller is king today in engine drives.hah cope

easy come easy go,what do you own cope? curious never killed the cat!

Leave a comment:

• cope
    replied
    Originally posted by wooly
    Miller's are easier to repair but are more often in the shop than lincolns....lincolns are cheaper built than what they used too but the engine drives are rock solid compared to miller from my own experience even though i own mostly miller drives because more capabilities....for mig i would go with miller....tig i would go with esab,miller,and the good ol lightweight t/a.....Stick I would go with any of them including hobart(same company miller).....multi process is miller.

Those are facts not two cents
    Yet last month you said:

"It don't matter how lincoln makes their machines because they are just as good as the miller machines!

I owned my lincoln welding engine drive for over 50 years and it still works good for me.I owned a miller bobcat for about 10 years and the thing went kaboooieee."

Leave a comment:

• wooly
    replied
    Miller's are easier to repair but are more often in the shop than lincolns....lincolns are cheaper built than what they used too but the engine drives are rock solid compared to miller from my own experience even though i own mostly miller drives because more capabilities....for mig i would go with miller....tig i would go with esab,miller,and the good ol lightweight t/a.....Stick I would go with any of them including hobart(same company miller).....multi process is miller.

Those are facts not two cents

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    if you find something you want...check the price against Cyberweld....I was going to buy a Spectrum 2050 plasma cutter....my local dealer had a used one...3 yrs old...looked 6 yrs old...he wanted 50 dollars more for it than Cyberweld had a new one for!

Plus I would have had to pay tax on the used one...so double check before reaching for your wallet.

Leave a comment:

• orgalmeister
    replied
    Andy,

I realize this late in asking, but are any of those Synchrowave 250 tigrunners still available? Are they complete with torch,watercooler, etc? How much?

Thanks, Steve

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    They do use the 110 units after a crash 'cause they are portable and fit on the carts they bring to the tracks. The MIG unit most in use is the MM210.

I should have some plasma coming up in the next rotation of equipment.
    Remind me in Jan-Feb again or I'll forget you are looking.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• morpheus
    replied
    I'd really like a plasma cutter Andy.

or what size mig machines do most race teams use. the only ones I ever see them show on tv when they're fixing a car after a crash look like 110V units.

- jack

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    Jack,

What are you looking for?

I won't be doing anymore updating until Jan or Feb.

Right now i have a couple Dynasty 300Tigrunners, Sync 250Tigrunners left.

A-

Leave a comment:

Working...
X