X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigtow30t
    • Apr 2013

help in choosing an arc welder

We I have not arc welded in over 20 years. I am looking to buy a dc welder (heard they are nicer to use).
    Now as far as amps I don't know what I'll need. I will need to weld 3/8" kind of often and 1/2" every now and then. Any input would be great
  • Manisoba
    • Mar 2012

Depends on how much you want to spend. If it was me looking for a new stick I'd probably go with a maxstar 150 or 200.

Comment

• H80N
      • Nov 2003

Originally posted by bigtow30t View Post
      We I have not arc welded in over 20 years. I am looking to buy a dc welder (heard they are nicer to use).
      Now as far as amps I don't know what I'll need. I will need to weld 3/8" kind of often and 1/2" every now and then. Any input would be great
      Could you give us more details of your intended use??

if you are planning 3/8 & 1/2 inch steel with stick?..... Would count on at least a 250 amp machine..

Home Hobby use?? Limited budget?? .... if so I would hunt for a used "Thunderbolt AC/DC" or equiv in the local pennysaver or Craigslist...

should be able to find something in the $100-250 range pretty easily...

Dialarcs show up pretty regularly in that price range Too... Even Better.!!
      Last edited by H80N; 08-26-2013, 07:02 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

• USMCPOP
        • Apr 2010

There's an exceptionally clean Dialarc 250 on CL in Monroe, MI. It would be a good buy if you could get it for maybe $400. (if you have enough power available to run it).

Hobart Stickmate ac/dc $250 in Fenton:

Last edited by USMCPOP; 08-26-2013, 08:02 AM.
        Miller stuff:
        Dialarc 250 (1974)
        Syncrowave 250 (1992)
        Spot welder (Dayton badged)

Comment

• BD1
          • Oct 2006

If your looking for a inverter, go with the Miller CST 280. These are used daily at work and it is a 220 volt machine only. Awesome for 6010 / 7018, that's all we burn. PLUS it is 100 % duty cycle at 150 Amps.

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o217655e_mil.pdf manual
          Last edited by BD1; 08-26-2013, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• USMCPOP
            • Apr 2010

BD1,

A fellow who hasn't stick welded in 20 years and heard DC is "nice" isn't likely to need a $2,000. inverter welder. Get real.
            Miller stuff:
            Dialarc 250 (1974)
            Syncrowave 250 (1992)

Comment

• Precision
              • May 2013

^lol.

Comment

• BD1
                • Oct 2006

This is real. He really didn't explain his situation fully except that he wants to weld 3/8 and 1/2 . He has a Miller 211 already so I just stated what I thought was the best machine for what he wanted and would not grow out of. He may have just won the lotto so he has bucks. He never said his budget was $ 100.00 either.
                So, if a guy hasn't driven a car in 20 years doesn't mean he won't go buy a Caddy or Lincoln either.

Comment

• raferguson
                  • Sep 2009

Used transformer welder

I did a quick check on a local craigslist. The first thing that I looked at was 250 amps, Montgomery Ward, transformer welder, AC/DC, for $175. 250 amps is plenty of power, I would guess that 200 amps is plenty unless you plan to work with 1/2 inch thick plate. 200 amps will run essentially any 1/8 inch stick rod, and some larger rods. I would look for infinitely variable power rather than taps. I have had a 200 amp welder for years, and have never needed more power.

As others have noted, you need to make sure that you have the AC power to support whatever you buy. As a starting point, think 220V and 50 amps, but the tag on the back should list the requirements for that particular welder. If you are limited to 30 amps I would consider an inverter welder.

A used transformer welder will get you started, and you can always sell it for what you paid for it, if you decide to upgrade. My vote is to start simple and cheap, and you may find that it will meet all your needs. A 110V MIG welder is also cheap on the used market, and will be better than a stick welder for sheet metal.

Richard
                  Last edited by raferguson; 08-26-2013, 06:57 PM.
                  Syncrowave 200, Millermatic 211, Victor torch, Propane forge....

Comment

• bigtow30t
                    • Apr 2013

Thanks for all the input. Some of the thing I need it for is to fix semi trailers. For the mosr part I'll use my mm211, but some of the stuff is either to thick or can't get it as clean as you'd need for mig (rust pits).
                    I guess I was more interested in what amperages I would need, more than what machine is better. I plan on getting a used one (for now), just got my mm211 6 months ago, so I have to save up again.
                    Anyway I will need to weld 1/2" thick flange on a king pin slug through a hole 1/2" plate. So from what I'm seeing is id need 250 amps or so. Also is dc the way to go?

Comment

• H80N
                      • Nov 2003

Originally posted by bigtow30t View Post
                      Thanks for all the input. Some of the thing I need it for is to fix semi trailers. For the mosr part I'll use my mm211, but some of the stuff is either to thick or can't get it as clean as you'd need for mig (rust pits).
                      I guess I was more interested in what amperages I would need, more than what machine is better. I plan on getting a used one (for now), just got my mm211 6 months ago, so I have to save up again.
                      Anyway I will need to weld 1/2" thick flange on a king pin slug through a hole 1/2" plate. So from what I'm seeing is id need 250 amps or so. Also is dc the way to go?
                      250 amps is a good number... there should be somethig on the used market..

here are the c/l search tempest listings within 100 miles of zip 48201

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

• USMCPOP
                        • Apr 2010

If you have the input power to run it, buy that Dialarc 250. It's been posted for a month so maybe the price is negotiable.
                        Miller stuff:
                        Dialarc 250 (1974)
                        Syncrowave 250 (1992)

Comment

Working...
                        X