X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • weldonwelding
    • Sep 2012

hammers

As you all know.. we wouldnt be fabricators without our trusty hammers. I am very picky with mine, they have to be well balanced and comfortable. I have bought 4 kobalt hammers of different sorts and gotta say they are really nice hammers and hold up to the best of brands, and are very affordable. I just bought a 2.5lb blacksmith style and within a few days has become my go to hammer
  • Precision
    • May 2013

hammers

I love me some Estwing hammers.

Comment

• Cgotto6
      • Feb 2012

Yep, I have a few estwings, and my stiletto framer. Whenever I am doing metal fab I have one of the finish hammers close by.

Comment

• aametalmaster
        Chairman Of The Board
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by weldonwelding View Post
        they are really nice hammers and hold up to the best of brands,
        Let us know in 20 years how they held up I am still using my K Mart claw hammer i have had since '92. I loaned out my other claw hammer to my son that i used for the 10 years before that and he still has it...Bob
        Bob Wright

Comment

• Precision
          • May 2013

hammers

Yeah my latest Estwing buy is a 16oz stacked leather handle finish hammer. The metal butt plate on the bottom is helluva handy.

Comment

• weldonwelding
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by aametalmaster:310982
            Originally posted by weldonwelding View Post
            they are really nice hammers and hold up to the best of brands,
            Let us know in 20 years how they held up I am still using my K Mart claw hammer i have had since '92. I loaned out my other claw hammer to my son that i used for the 10 years before that and he still has it...Bob
            20yrs would be pushing it for me... i usually loose em within a few years or so..lol

Comment

• tackit
              Banned
              • Oct 2005

I just bought a set of ATD hammers, $46 to the house. I like how their forged heads have a collar under the head to protect the handles... I've used them for a week or so? they seem to be very nice hammers.

Comment

• Hardrock40
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                My trusty old claw hammer has been around for, well it was my dads long long ago. I did buy an Eastwing brick hammer when I was into prospecting but I have no clue where it is now. Best hammer I ever had.

Most of mine are hand me downs.

Comment

• USMCPOP
                  • Apr 2010

I wonder which of this guy's 12,000 hammers is his favorite?

Miller stuff:
                  Dialarc 250 (1974)
                  Syncrowave 250 (1992)
                  Spot welder (Dayton badged)

Comment

• jpence38
                    • Feb 2010

These are the only hammers that I would buy. A little more pricy, but will last longer than me.

JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
                    Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Maxstar 150 STL
                    Trailblazer 302
                    Suitecase 12RC
                    Extreme 12VS
                    Extreme 8VS
                    Spoolmatic 30A
                    Miller HF251D-1
                    Passport Plus
                    Spoolmate 100
                    Hypertherm Powermax 45 and 85
                    Ingersoll Rand Engine Driven Compressor
                    Dake 75 ton H-Frame Press
                    JD Squared Model 32 Bender
                    Miller Digital Elite

Comment

• tackit
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by jpence38 View Post
                      These are the only hammers that I would buy. A little more pricy, but will last longer than me.

http://www.estwing.com/specialty_tools.php
                      I can't disagree with your choice, but I have a hobby shop budget which tends to cause me to compromise on certain tools.

Comment

• bayweld
                        • Apr 2009

Steel handle hammers

Take some advice from and old guy......Estwing and similar steel shank hammers are hard on your arm and wrist...When used daily over a period of years...They are a tough hammer and will last for years but the shock of hammering is transferred directly to the arm that is holding it...Wooden handles are much easier on the user...Your mileage may vary.....

Comment

• Synchroman
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Precision View Post
                          I love me some Estwing hammers.
                          I've got several Estwing hammers. I prefer them over any of my others. The Estwings that I have use a molded semi-soft material for the handles. I have a five pound Estwing that is my "go to" hammer when I really need to whack something. I bought it in 1971 at a Hardware store in L.A. and it's still going strong.

Bayweld says that they transfer shock to your arm....If you are using a hammer and you can't feel the shock, there is something wrong. LOL.
                          Last edited by Synchroman; 08-25-2013, 08:10 AM.
                          Miller Syncrowave 200
                          Milermatic 252
                          Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Comment

• Precision
                            • May 2013

hammers

I agree with his point about shock transfer with a solid steel vs. wooden handle. BUT, I always end up hitting the handle on something and gouge it then one day I'll hit the sharts outta something and it will break and usually hit my shin. Since I'm lazy and don't like to shape new handles for my mur I stay with the estwings. Have the 16oz stacked leather,20 oz framer, 2lb engineer , ball peen and the chipping hammer. Have the camp axe too. Guess I'm an Estwing *****. ;-)

Comment

• Forger
                              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by bayweld View Post
                              Take some advice from and old guy......Estwing and similar steel shank hammers are hard on your arm and wrist...When used daily over a period of years...They are a tough hammer and will last for years but the shock of hammering is transferred directly to the arm that is holding it...Wooden handles are much easier on the user...Your mileage may vary.....
                              Bayweld is right wooden handels are the ones to use,some years ago I used a 4lb hammer with a fiberglass handle to upset four 1" sq. A36 bars on the anvil for a table,my elbow ached for several years after that aftenoon of hammering.All my hammers are now hickory.I realize most of you guys/gals don't use hammers to the degree as a blacksmith,but if your using steel or fiberglass handles because your afraid of missing your mark and breaking the handle your hammers are probably not being used much anyway.Probably using one of those big red hand protectors to hold a chisel too.

Comment

Working...
                              X