Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Wickliff
    replied
    turbobrian, I've owned a MM175 for about 2 months now and I really like it. I have welded everything from coathangers to 3/8 mild steel. I've only used the .035 flux cored wire so far as my shop was not closed in and I didn't have the extra bucks for the tank, etc. Although it is 220v, I also like the portability. I've used it outside the shop in the yard with a long 8/3 extension cord.

Leave a comment:

• Danny
    replied
    Originally posted by turbobrian
    thats what i am hearing off the board from friends of mine. everyone says the 135/175 will work fibe for when i have to do exhaust systems, small jobs, tacks to fit things. even the sales guy says to get the 135 because there is no difference in power between the 135 and 175, just the fact that its 220v. i have been told off the board to buy a nice tig because when i get into serious fabrication and need strength and looks it pays to have a nice tig.
    Brian

Your salesman doesn t seem very knowledgeable, because there is a big difference between a 135 and 175 amp machine. This difference becomes real obvious when you weld 1/8" steel with a solid wire. The weld produced by the 135 amp machine looks a little cold were as the weld produced by the 175 amp burns in alot better and wets out better too. It has to do with the output voltage and amperage capablity of the machines. The 135 amp machine can output just enough amperage for the 1/8" material but to do this the output load voltage of the machine drops down to around 16 volts, which produces a weld that does want to wet out. On the other hand, the 175 amp machine easily reaches the amperage needed for this 1/8" material, and also at this amperage the machine has the ability to output a higher voltage then needed for this 1/8" material. Yes, it will also output the proper voltage too.

Personally after reading this entire thread I think you would be real happy with the MM 210. This machine is an industrial quality machine that will last you for years. The MM 210 will handle your thin material and give you a lot more duty cycle and and output power on thicker material that you want to weld then the 175 amp machine.

Leave a comment:

• ROCK
    replied
    TURBOBRIAN..........Well there is quite a bit of difference form a 115 volt machine to the 230 volt machines..........Amps out put is larger and they do not weld the same..........Consider this for exaust work the 135 will work as will the 175.........But the 175 will allow you to weld larger pieces of metal in a single pass..

Your call...........Enjoy.............Rock..
    [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• turbobrian
    replied
    thats what i am hearing off the board from friends of mine. everyone says the 135/175 will work fibe for when i have to do exhaust systems, small jobs, tacks to fit things. even the sales guy says to get the 135 because there is no difference in power between the 135 and 175, just the fact that its 220v. i have been told off the board to buy a nice tig because when i get into serious fabrication and need strength and looks it pays to have a nice tig.

Leave a comment:

• cope
    replied
    Brian, the two complaints you never hear are I bought too much welder and I wish I didn't have all these welders.

Leave a comment:

• turbobrian
    replied
    thanks for all the advice

i am going to purchase either a 210 this week or my fabricator/exhaust guy that i use also needs a 175 becuase his just is not working and he said he is tired of fixing it, so he told me to buy the 175 use it for a month or two, see how i like it and if i need more he will take my 175 so i can buy a 210. i might just do this to get a feel for what i need. and after i decide he will help me get back into tig.

Leave a comment:

• ROCK
    replied
    Hi guys..........And I was staioned at Quonsant point.......Many many years ago.......not even sure if the spelling is correct. R.I. ERS straighten me out here.........

I think I would consider either the MM210/MM251 with spool gun option for the ocassional aluminum job that doesn't need tig welded and you will get them. I have a friend who runs performance automotive and you will get them in.......... For tig I really like the sybncrowave 250 or syncrowave 350.......... Those are my suggestions...... However when it comes right down to it the call will be yours as it is your hard earned cash your spending.......... Let us know what you decide TURBOBRIAN and why you chose what you did......... And welcome to the forum...............Enjoy...........Rock..
    [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• xseabee
    replied
    Was born in Newport. Graduated from North Kingstown. Learned to weld in the navy and have been welding Alum. in a boat shop since 1996.Mostly mig and alot of tig ...

Gregg

Leave a comment:

• turbobrian
    replied
    grew up in narragansett.

Leave a comment:

• xseabee
    replied
    Brian, I grew up in R.I. what part are you in? Not that it's big place . My dad still lives there ,I'm in tn now and only visit about once a year.

Leave a comment:

• turbobrian
    replied
    thanks for all the greta feed back. i am slowly getting back to knowing whats what. i am definatly leaning towards the 210. and i can get a nice tig later when i have some more $$$

Leave a comment:

• Justin00Stang
    replied
    120v MIGs serve there purpose but they don't do a whole lot...anyone who is remotely serious REALLY needs a 220v mig. Longer duty cycle, more power, etc.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Brian,

If you are leaning towards a mig machine, double think the MM135. You will be limited to joining 1/8" material. I think you'll b e disappointed with it's limitations for what the work you are describing. Take a good look at the MM210. You can always add a tig machine later

Leave a comment:

• turbobrian
    replied
    went to ABCO today. which is the local welder supplier. i think i might go with the millermatic 135. seams like a decent machine, not to expensive and will do 80 percent of what i need done.

Leave a comment:

• cope
    replied
    For your use, an SD180 would be a better choice than the Econotig.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X