X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CelticRam
    replied
    Thanks Guys
    I have been without power for the last few days. One thing that I had not said is the trouble shooting I have done. I loosned the hub to the point that there is almost no tension and the retainer cannot be backed off any more. That did not seem to help. I next tried unspooling some of the wire and that works great. No stopping and no loss of arc. It seems that the drive cannot pull the wire from the role. I will take pistol8's advice and try a small role.

Leave a comment:

• Weld_the_World
    replied
    I have a millermatic 185 also. I experienced the problem you were a couple times with it flaming out and it seemed the wire feed would stop and start. After reading the troubleshooting section of the manual, they suggested loosening the hub nut. This is because as the spool shrinks, it becomes more of a one-to-one ratio with the drive wheel, making it harder to turn the spool. Once I did that, things have worked fine. This applies only of course if the drive wheel is working.

Leave a comment:

• Weld_the_World
    replied
    I have a millermatic 185 also. I experienced the problem you were a couple times with it flaming out and it seemed the wire feed would stop and start. After reading the troubleshooting section of the manual, they suggested loosening the hub nut. This is because as the spool shrinks, it becomes more of a one-to-one ratio with the drive wheel, making it harder to turn the spool. Once I did that, things have worked fine. This applies only of course if the drive wheel is working.

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    The drive motor should not stop. Unless you have a power supply problem like the unit is getting only half voltage or if a relay is making poor connection.
    Sounds like you may have to bring it in to get checked. Usually the drive motor won't snub out if you have the wire speed up past 25-30%

a-

Leave a comment:

• PISTOL8
    replied
    feeding

YOU SAID THE UNITS 4 YEARS OLD? IS THAT LARGE ROLL OF WIRE 4 YEARS OLD? ITS CHEAP TO PUT IN A NEW SMALL SPOOL TO CHECK IT OUT. MY FRIEND TONY'S FIRST WELDER WAS A 185 HE USED IT ALOT AND PROBABLY ON THINGS HE NEEDED A BIGGER MACHINE FOR BUT HIS HATED BIG SPOOLS. ANDY WHY IS THIS,IT LOOKS LIKE THE SAME SETUP AS THE 175 AND THEY DON'T SEEM TO CARE WHATS IN THEM. GOOD LUCK PISTOL8

Leave a comment:

• CelticRam
    replied
    The drive motor is also stoping or at least the drive wheel is stopping.

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    Is the wire stopping and the drive roll still moving or does the drive motor stall out too??

That machine doesn't like the real big spools of wire. if you had it that long, I'm sure there is a bit of rust or contamination on the wire that clogs up the gun liner making it harder to push the wire through. You may try loosining the spool nut that holds tension on the spool. You could also try going to a knurled drive roll to help pull that spool. I would really stay with the smaller spools in the 185

Andy

Leave a comment:

• CelticRam
    started a topic Help Millermatic 185

Help Millermatic 185

My Millermatic 185 Mig welder is about 4 years old and I will admit it has not been used hard at all. It is only about halfway through its first large spool of wire.
    For the last month I have been having a vary hard time getting good welds. This past weekend I looked at what was happening and found the feed is not at all smooth. It is actually starting and stopping and this is causing the bead to blow out. I can find no problem with the feed mechanism. Everything is free and moving but am unsure how to fix this problem.

Thanks
Working...
X