No announcement yet.

Help Millermatic 185

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binding not an issue, that does happen to me sometimes. Last night I swapped out the drive roller and that helped a little. Then I used a small clamp to apply some force on the pressure lever and that got me going again. Not a proper fix but works for now.

Comment

I'd assume a bad liner, if everything visible looks good.

Comment

There is just one liner size, correct? I mean there aren't multiple liner sizes for the different wire diameters.

Comment

If you're asking if one size liner fits all diameters, no. Each wire size has its own liner to go with it. That being said, some folks have found that running a liner that is a wire diameter size up works well for them. I too have a MM185 I bought new in 99'. I have yet to try it, but I want to see how well 023 wire runs in a 030 liner. My 185 is kinda picky in that it prefers the lead as straight as possible while welding.

Comment

that's helpful, thanks. I guess I need to check what liner size I have (is it marked somewhere?) and get one for 0.023", try that.

Comment

As far as liners being marked, I'm not sure. The Miller liners that I have are marked on the blue outer cover what size they are, but the aftermarket liners I have are not marked. If you never changed the liner when you went to 023, then you're running the 023 in a 030 liner, correct? Liners are cheap enough, get an 023 liner and let us know what happens.

Comment

Finally got around to pulling the liner from my 15' Bernard gun. It's clearly marked Bernard 0.035 - 0.045. So some more egg on my face! Tomorrow I'll order a smaller liner.

Comment

Swapped in the new 0.022 - 0.030 liner tonight. After some more fiddling with roller tension I got nice smooth feeding with the 0.022 wire. I appreciate all the advice and feedback from everyone.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted out. The 185 is a good machine.

Comment

The MM185 was the best machine ever made
                      Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
                      X