No announcement yet.

New Welder needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've heard a lot of good feedback from people who shopped at BR. Bob is supposed to be a good guy to deal with.

Comment

Cope,

I just checked out the site. Great stuff! Their prices seem to be very competitive with the best in the market. I seen product for less occasionally, but service is something to be considered in this day and time.

Comment

Hawk
        Looking around some more I have found that Cyberweld has about the same prices as that of B&R though they do not carry the Optrel Satellite they have the speedglas 9000x at $265. One thing I am worried about is range or how far from the welder I can work. The torch seems to be 25 ft but the ground cable is only 10 or 15 ft depending where I read and the gas hose looks to only be 10 ft???
        CelticRam
        US Navy Retiered
        Work when I can Play when I should!

Comment

Ground lead is usually shorter, and that's NBD. I imagine the gas line is same length as the torch. If you are not dead set on the Optrel or Speedglass, check out AAA's price on the Jackson NextGen.

http://209.41.55.91/

Comment

Thanks Cope
            The ECQ looks like it would work a big part of this is that I would like to get everything from the same vendor and at the same time. So part it will be what that vendor carries.
            CelticRam
            US Navy Retiered

Comment

I bought my Miller Syncrowave from Cyberweld and got it the next day by Fedex Freight. I ordered two MillerMatics from B&R and got them by Fedex in two days. Both are pretty good but Cyberweld will Email you a tracking number and are very pleasant to deal with. B&R's Bob seems to always be in a rush. The last order I made with B&R got screwed up and I had to call them back to get it right, which he did. Just my experience with them.....

My understanding is that you place the order through them, they send it to Miller and Miller ships to you.

Comment

Originally posted by CelticRam
                Hawk
                Looking around some more I have found that Cyberweld has about the same prices as that of B&R though they do not carry the Optrel Satellite they have the speedglas 9000x at $265. One thing I am worried about is range or how far from the welder I can work. The torch seems to be 25 ft but the ground cable is only 10 or 15 ft depending where I read and the gas hose looks to only be 10 ft???
                CelticRam,

I have the 195 054 and it came with the DB1725R TIG torch. It has a 25' hose which connects via a DINSE GAS ADAPTOR (supplied in the kit) to the torch side of the Dynasty. The torch adapter part number is 194 720. You do not need a separate cable to plug into your Dynasty-only the gas hose/cable assembly through this adapter. You can change the ground length because the kit also comes with a part number 145 088 which is a DINSE connection kit. It has two connectors-one for the ground and one for a stick electrode. Just get you some #2 cable-25' of each,or something like that and buy a 200 amp ground clamp and a 200 amp electrode holder for stick. Now you have 25' torch, 25' ground, and 25' electrode lead for stick if you need. If you need additional info, I'll send you some pictures in JPEG format of the kits and the torch assy. Somehow down the line I ended up with an extra torch adapter and dinse connection kit. It never hurts to keep extra on hand. For what I don't know. I'm not even sure how I came by the extras.

I think the gas hose from the regulator to the back of the Dynasty is 10 feet. The kit includes a coupler(don't know # of the top of my head), will find if you need, so you can couple two gas hoses together. You should be able to do anything you want with a 25' torch and ground. At some point you will be limited by you power input cord. For portability I use small, 40CF argon cylinders and a 75' extension cord with 30 amp twist plugs. I also keep a twistlock to open wire pigtail for in plant work where an open three or single phase fused disconnect is available. I use the 25' torch and the 10' ground supplied in the kit and have never had a "out of reach" issue.

The Speedglass is also a nice and popular hood. However, I know the Optrel has a 5-9 and 9-13 shade adjustment with a very clear view lens. I think you are backing up if you don't get it. Also available are cheater lenses for the Satellite. I would not worry about everything coming from the same vendor. If that is a genuine concern for some reason, email me and I'll send you my contact. He is a dealer for all you are looing for and I believe the price will be right as well.

Comment

CelticRam,

Just personal experience on the Jackson ECQ. I just gave one to a client for hobby use because it gave me so much trouble. I think you will really like the solar power on the Optrel-no buttons to push. I cannot count the times the @#[email protected]$# Jackson ECQ has caused me to be flashed due to powering off or a failure of sometype. Mine was the Journeyman ECQ with a 9-13 adjustable lens shade. I called Jackson several times and they offered to swap out the lens for 75.00. That was not the answer I was looking for. Needless to say I don't deal Jackson helmets anymore. Customer service means a lot to me.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK
                    CelticRam,

Just personal experience on the Jackson ECQ. I just gave one to a client for hobby use because it gave me so much trouble. I think you will really like the solar power on the Optrel-no buttons to push. I cannot count the times the @#[email protected]$# Jackson ECQ has caused me to be flashed due to powering off or a failure of sometype. Mine was the Journeyman ECQ with a 9-13 adjustable lens shade. I called Jackson several times and they offered to swap out the lens for 75.00. That was not the answer I was looking for. Needless to say I don't deal Jackson helmets anymore. Customer service means a lot to me.
                    Hawk, I think you had a Friday afternoon hood. I have the same Jackson you had and mine has been flawless, indoors and out. Is a pain to remove the lens to change settings, but I either Stick or Mig, and usually have plenty time to make the switch.

Comment

Cope,

You are probably correct. But you know it still leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

I have a Kemper 650 auto dark adjustable 9-13. It is solar powered and adjustable by a side mounted external dial. This can be a pain when pipe welding in a ditch-too much stuff to hit that dial on.

Comment

Hawk and Cope Thanks
                        The only reason to go with one vendor is to make it easy and make them a bit more willing to deal.
                        Thanks for the info on the torch and lengths Hawk. I thought I would be able to extend things a bit. Good to know I can.
                        As that we are still without power at work I will be talking to National Welders and see what they say on price.
                        Thanks again Guys.
                        CelticRam
                        US Navy Retiered

Comment

CELTICRAM...........Both distributor's should be acceptable to deal with. I have on ocassion sent folks to both and other's in your area. Sometimes it is easy to shop around try 3 different distributor's in your area. See who is the most helpful and willing to talk and offer advice. I would also suggest you see if they have a demo room to try the machine out............. Some do some don't..........Good luck with your decision........... If WE can be of assistance just give us a shout................Enjoy..............Rock.. [email protected]
                          ROCK

Comment

Jackson hoods

I have been nothing but happy with the performance of my Jackson EQC Executive. I'll never weld without it. Might upgrade to the NextGen, but no need to yet.
                            Hawk already knows this, but for the benefit of those who are inexperienced with the electronic hoods like this, when he got "flashed" it was only by the brightness, not the UV. This is very significant. The brightness goes away rather quickly and you readjust after a short time. If you are injured by UV (as in not wearing a helmet,) your eyes can be severely burned and severe cases are extremely painful for hours, sometimes days. To clarify, even when an electronic hood does NOT go dark, it will still stop 100% of the UV radiation. At least, this is true of the Jacksons and other high-quality makes.

Comment

Jackson hoods again

Oh yeah, and one other thing that made a difference when I was shopping. Look at the clear shade state. When I bought my Jackson two years ago, they had the clearest clear state on the market. This makes a huge difference when welding indoors or under chassis.

Comment

Thanks Rock and Mac
                                I Rode over to National Welders yesterday the guy that sets up package deals was not in. He was still cleaning up after Isebel. I gave them my list of wants and they said he would get a hold of me as soon as he could. I also stopped at Norfolk welders supply and hawk these were the folks I had talked to last time not national welders. They still seem to think I should spend an extra grand or so. At this point I will see what national welders say and then I will order from the best deal. And if national comes close I will go with them.

Thanks again guys.
                                CelticRam
                                US Navy Retiered

Comment

Working...
                                X