Aluminum Welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum Welding

What is the llghtest gauge of aluminum that can be welded with a spool gun?
    Thanks
    Wayne.

Wayne,

I've run .035 wire on 1/8" 3000 series with no problems. That's roughly 11 gauge. If you'll go to .023 wire and fine tune the voltage and wirespeed, you can probably get close to 22 gauge with good results. If you look at some of these production fabricated truck boxes they are 1/16" aluminum tread plate and are mig welded.

Good luck.

Comment

023 wire is kind of hard to find. Most distributors don't stock it but the .030 is good for 16ga if you have a good hand and move the gun fast enough as to not build up too much heat. Lap joints, fillet joints, and inside corner joints are not porblem. A butt joint may require a heat sink. Any thinner and a pulser might be in order.

A-

Comment

Andy,

I use National Welders and they stock about anything I ask for. You are right though. Impossible off the shelf item. Almost as rare 4.5" aluminum grinding discs in this part of the Country-Knoxville, TN.

Comment

No doubt..
          I have a hard time getting Ceriated or Lanthanated tungsten for my Dynasty too. I have a few that will order it for me but it would be nice to know you can stop in when you are driving by and pick up what you need.

some day..

Comment

Working...
          X