Price structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price structure

This could be the wrong place to ask this question but I don.t know really where else to go either. Just recently (yesterday and day before ) , I was asked by my neighbor if I would weld some 3/8" cold roll round tubing (the tubes are intertwined or woven togeather to make a grid) onto his Bulldozer over the windows. The purpose is to keep limbs and such from coming threw and hitting him while doing some major clearing on his property. I spent the first day cutting and fittng the metal over the front ,back, and side window openings. On the second day I welded anywhere from four to six bolts per window opening. There were a total of six window openings.. I have a MILLER mig (millermatic 135)and I used a flux core wire for the project (since I was out of gas) and it seemed to hold very well. I was somewhat impressed by the machine actually.
    Anyway here is my question. I am not a welder by profession but I do weld in my profession ocassionally. What I need to know is a price structure for someone doing oxy/acetalene cutting and welding (mig) per hour or day etc..... Is this possible or am I in the wrong place. Thank-you for your time
    Richie

Richie,

Determining the wage rate for a welder includes quite a few variables. Experience (process capabilties and time), certifications, affiliations (union), location, etc.

However, I think you are looking for just some hourly rates for a typical shop welder with basic skills. Since you are located in Mississippi, I would estimate a reasonable rate would be in the $12-17/hr range. And that does not include consumables (weld wire, gas, etc.) or equipment useage (using your welding machine). If you want to include consumables and machine use you should be able to get another $5-10/hr. Happy welding!
    Kevin Disney

Comment

I would be concerned about the ability for a mm135 to weld that thick of material. Just a thought.

Comment

R_Stegall,

It sounds like a nice neat project. However, I am with chub 380 on the liability issue. Hopefully all will stay in place-NO REFLECTION ON YOUR EXPERIENCE AND SKILL- Even with flux cored wire the 135 is a push for this type job. It seems like the dozer body metal would act as an enormous heat sink absorbing much needed heat at the weld area.

Pricing is strictly a matter of comfort. If your experience and skill levels are high with current certs in the process used, then you can obviously demand higher dollars. I run mobile from my truck most of the time and bill at 66.00/Hour. This must cover wear and tear on my truck, engine drive, wire feeder, spool gun, rods, wire, shielding gas, gloves, helmet, pliers, grinders, grinding discs, paint, saws, etc. I keep current certs for my processes and procedures. I charge the same for work requiring no certification. The equipment still has to pay for itself. My billing time starts when I leave for the job site and ends once I return home or to the next job. I also bill for loading and unloading extra equipment that can't stay in the truck. Some customers get a cut rate(45.00/Hour) because they give me so much work on a regular basis.

Consider your market. If a machine/welding shop in you area is charging 75.00/Hour, then their welders are probably making 18-25 per hour. If you are confident in your work and have no liability concerns, I think you work is worth at least 20-25 per hour. You are providing on site service for your neighbor. He does not have to haul his machine-big transportation savings. Acetylene and oxygen are not free. Torch tips have to be replaced. Consider the wear on your welder as well. Sometimes you have to compromise and see what your client thinks is a fair price for the job. Sometimes people will pay the price by the job easier than by the hour. I price most of my work by the job. I just figure total hours needed to complete the project and bid the work. You win some and lose some. Some jobs I bid too high because I don't want the work-high places, tight places, lots of overhead welding involved, poor ventilation, etc. Even so I end up doing some of them because nobody else wants the nasty work either!

Also you are providing a skilled service that few people are capable of doing. What would your neighbor charge for dozer service? 35-45/Hour??? Friends are friends and business is business. Otherwise you end up in the soup line. This is advice from someone who learned the hard way. You have to charge for skilled labor-especially welding and fabrication work. Like a friend of mine said: " I can go broke watching TV in my living room."

I don't mean to sound cold, but equipment cost money and experience and skill are worth a lot! I think many good welders are underpaid and would rather relax than work too cheap.

Best Of Luck

Comment

R_Stegall

Could you explain the tubing again? Is it tubing that has 3/8" wall thickness or is it 3/8" diameter tubing? I was just curious.....

Comment

R_Stegall,

I am also curious about the material. When you mentioned 3/8" cold roll I pictured solid steel round stock. However,when you mentioned tubing I was think ID/OD/and wall thickness for steel tubing. Maybe the 135 did just fine if you are using a thin wall tubing rather than cold roll steel rod. Please clarify.

Thank you

Comment

HR. RATES

WELL I LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE WEALTHY AND HOME OF THE TIGHTWAD. THERE ARE RATES WITHIN 75 MILE RADIUS THAT RANGE FROM 20. PER HOUR TO BELIEVE IT OR NOT 165.00 PER HOUR WITH A 2 HOUR MINIMUM !!! I TRY TO PRICE THE JOB LIKE HAWK DOES IT SEEMS TO MAKE THE CUSTOMER FEEL LIKE THEIR GETTING A DEAL.SOMEHOW WHEN YOU MENTION HOURLY RATE EVERYONE SEEMS TO PANIC.I CHARGE 70.00 PER HOUR WITH 1/2 HOUR MIN.I DON'T GET TO MANY COMPLAINTS. SOMEONE ONCE TOLD ME IF THE CUSTOMER DOESN'T COMPLAIN THAN YOUR NOT CHARGING ENOUGH. I'D CHARGE ENOUGH TO MAKE MONEY AFTER EXPENSES AND STILL HAVE A NEIGHBOR THAT SPEAKS TO ME. GOOD LUCK PISTOL8

Comment

Working...
              X