Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sberry
    • Sep 2005

In a 6 inch the aspects of the particular models may be different. I am no stranger to burnt up Dewalt grinders, B&D before that. I liked the feel of them when I was using them a lot. They souped up the current numbers on them, put them in the same chassis and if you ran them like you were mad at it poof, pretty easy to overheat and a hundred bucks out the window and I know its tuff to swallow but would 2 or 3x rather have the cord that comes on the cheap version.

I have never overheated a Walmart one, its got good power. Pick one up sometime feel how heavy it is. I gave a couple away, I put one dedicated to the bench where the use was quite high just to see how long it would last, it finally gave out a switch after it outwear a Dewalt about 3 to 1. And after about 3secondsfs never give it second thought there is 100 difference in price.

Comment

• Sberry
      • Sep 2005

I know you are a pro.

Comment

• weldonwelding
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Sberry:306785
        In a 6 inch the aspects of the particular models may be different. I am no stranger to burnt up Dewalt grinders, B&D before that. I liked the feel of them when I was using them a lot. They souped up the current numbers on them, put them in the same chassis and if you ran them like you were mad at it poof, pretty easy to overheat and a hundred bucks out the window and I know its tuff to swallow but would 2 or 3x rather have the cord that comes on the cheap version.

I have never overheated a Walmart one, its got good power. Pick one up sometime feel how heavy it is. I gave a couple away, I put one dedicated to the bench where the use was quite high just to see how long it would last, it finally gave out a switch after it outwear a Dewalt about 3 to 1. And after about 3secondsfs never give it second thought there is 100 difference in price.
        I do like the dewalt 12 amp 4 1/2". I have a few of them in a box that someday when I get the time they will make one good one. I also use the dewalt portaband... It has held up well, only thing I've done to that is change the gear oil and blades

Comment

• tackit
          Banned
          • Oct 2005

6" is my favorite grinder too. I like the balance rat tails give, to me they don't tire the hands as much as a barrel grinders do, must be the rat tail handles are thinner making them more comfortable to hold.

Comment

• aametalmaster
            Chairman Of The Board
            • Sep 2005

We have over 350 Metalbo's at work. They are like the rest of them they wear out. I have been there just over a year and have had 5 new ones and a few rebuilts. But this shop requires every weld to be ground or wire brushed smooth and zero splatter anywhere so they take a beating, prob better than any other brand...Bob
            Bob Wright

Comment

• tackit
              Banned
              • Oct 2005

I would like to try CSunitec's 6" grinder but I know they would be too expensive for what I do with one. They have a cool flex shaft that screws on the 5/8X 11 threads.

CS Unitec offers the best construction power tools to meet your company’s needs. View our electric, hydraulic and pneumatic industrial tool selection now.

Comment

• weldonwelding
                • Sep 2012

700 bucks for the 4 1/2" variflex. It looks pretty cool but it would have to last a really long time. Or come with a 10yr warranty. I can't find a price for that attachment...?

Comment

• tackit
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2005

$700 for one grinder is not in my grinder budget.

Comment

• strictlycarved
                    • Jun 2009

Makita by far my favorite along with the metabo. Have had both for to years no incidents other then power cords
                    Syncrowave 250
                    Millermatic 210
                    dialarc 250
                    spectrum 375x
                    trailblazer 302
                    Lincoln 135

Comment

• tackit
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by strictlycarved View Post
                      Makita by far my favorite along with the metabo. Have had both for to years no incidents other then power cords
                      I had trouble with my Bosch cords splitting open where they come out of the grinder's cord protector, fortunately I only had to cut maybe 8" off the cord and able to reuse it, both split open at the same place. Their cords outside jackets are real soft and rubbery.
                      Last edited by tackit; 04-28-2013, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Sberry
                        • Sep 2005

The cords on the ones I use last forever. I think its another sales item, the customer doesn't want "that cheap plastic cord" and you got to give what sells.

Comment

• tackit
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2005

Unfortunately for Bosch I believe there is a lot of truth in what you say..... but I think it's foolish when the CEO of company allows bean counters to go so cheap it ruins a companies reputation.

I won't order another Bosch tool because of the wire experience... I live to far away from a box store or an industrial store to drive to one to check out a tool before I buy one, the gas there and back would cover half the cost of a new grinder, that's why I rely on a companies reputation and am willing to pay more to get a tool that will last...

I don't see how people think companies can put the same quality of bearings and other components in a $30 grinder as in $100 tool and expect it should last just as long as a $100 tool..... especially when it's being used for gouging/angling or power brushing as much as sanding and polishing away metal....at least it should work that way. For me, Makita, Metabo and my favorite grinder company Hitachi will get my money.

If you look at the top left, second grinder to the right, you can see the one Bosch whose cord needs to be fixed.

Last edited by tackit; 04-29-2013, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• Cgotto6
                            • Feb 2012

I have had my 2 Bosch 4 1/2 grinders for 5 years. Got them on sale, 2 pack for $50. Never had a complaint or an issue with the cords. Got easily 200+ hrs of run time in both. Got a Mikita free with my roto hammer I bought last year, no complaints with it either. I could never justify buying a $100+ grinder (4 1/2"), when I could buy multiple for that price and just treat them like a disposable item.

I have many Bosch tools for my business ( general contracting), they are far superior for many things carpentry related at least.

Tack, how are you storing your Bosch grinders? Mostly curious about how tight you wind your power cords. Sounds like maybe you tie them too tight or something?

Comment

• weldonwelding
                              • Sep 2012

I replace the cords on my own grinders when needed. I bought a roll of 14-3 so or sa cord, i cant remember exactly what the cord is but its the more expensive of the 2 types of cords that lowes stocks. And another thing i havnt done yet but already bought the stuff for is switch everything over to twist lock... the reason for that is to keep the cord short. With a short cord 2' or less you dont have to wrap it up, and with a standard plug you will have to tie a knot which will get in the way while your using it...u following me so far? I think the reason your cords break at the grinder is because of the way it has to get wrapped up. It usually pulls the cord tight at the grinder.

Comment

• tackit
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2005

Mr C, I wind them all up the same way, I don't think I'm pulling on them so hard I break them... it's the cords jacket material, it's so soft it tears easily, that's why both cords broke at the exact same place. I had a Bosch grinder for 25 years with the same cord on it, albeit it had been taped in a few places. Finally, after I did replaced the cord the grinder went belly up in less than a year.

I have two Bosch cordless drills, a 4000 or 4001? portable table saw, the two grinders in the picture, and a Bosch hand held power planer, all older tools.... I just hope it isn't the same O' same O' global competition thing with Bosch. These companies better realize quality is number one with some people not only low prices.

And now Amazon has FED X and UPS deliver my free shipping packages to the post office and has them deliver it, adding even more time to replace a tool or part.

Comment

Working...
                                X