Motorsports Fabrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorsports Fabrication

Hi Fellas, I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me. I'm interested in fabricating some aluminum sheet metal parts like oil pans and valve covers and was wondering how the big production shops do it. Do they use a wire feeder or just a tig torch and filler rod? Any info would be appreciated! HR

Hey 98, i have been taking that same interest also. all of the research that i have looked at brings me to this - most of the valve covers are tig, just because of the thin material and the quality appearrance that they give.. the oil pans flanges are done with a spool gun setup. i have been looking at all different pieces of equipment that is out there (welding), i think that miller has the market on any TIG setup.. i am looking at dynasty 200dx, but when it comes to spool gun capability, cobra has a good setup with the lincoln power mig 300.. its pretty awesome.. good luck with your research

Comment

Re: Motorsports Fabrication

Hi Hemi, thanks for your reply. I've been looking at the Dynasty 200 DX as well. The best price I've found is on Ebay at $2259. Have you seen any advertised any cheaper? HR

Comment

Is the $2359.00 for machine only? If so, how much for the accessory kit: HD foot pedal, torch, gauges, etc? Also how much freight? I may have a better deal in your area.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Hawk, $2259 is for the Dyansty 200 DX power source with shipping. It's doesn't include torch, amptrol, ground clamp, etc. I'll be buying these also but probably seperately. Let me know if you know of a better deal. HR

Comment

The best I found was 2300.00 for the 200DX including shipping. I think the contractors kit with the heavy duty foot pedal from Miller was almost 500.00. I think you've found the best deal going!

Good luck.

Comment

Most of the good companies building pans and v.c. are doing TIG. They can't take the chance of a leak and with a spoolgun, the heat control just isn't fine enough. Let's just say...you can't go wrong with TIG. If it's baffles or something non critical, I suppose you could get away with spotting it with MIG, but it's an awfull big gun to be putting in such a tight spot.

Andy

Comment

Well my Dynasty 200 Dx just arrived. It's WAY COOL!!! Work has kept me from giving it a try yet but hopefully in the next few days. Final price was $2235 including shipping. Also picked up a Black Diamond 200A air cooled torch. Thanks for all who posted replies! HR

Comment

BET YOU CAN'T WAIT!

hr98,

Let us know how you like the machine. I did not get started 'til 8:00 last night and was up in the morning hours working with mine. I ran out of argon and had to switch to helium. I had never used helium on steel before. Arc starts were tough and 2% thoriated wanted to ball. I also cut amperage from 50 to 15 and was able to get a nice puddle on 18 gauge steel with the helium. Will have to p/u argon today. This was only an experiment because I ran out of argon. IT IS THE BEST TIG MACHINIE I'VE EVER WELDED WITH-BAR NONE!

Comment

Working...
                  X