Dual Shield Flux Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Shield Flux Wire

I ran 10LBS of .045 E71T-1 dual shield. Specs show DCRP with 75Ar/25CO2 shielding gas. Voltage and wire speed very difficult to set up without getting brush hair marks on top of the bead an inch or so into the travel. I ground several beads and found no porosity. Penetration is excellent with nice cherry red beads and a nearly flat profile once deslagged. It gave me fits with excessive spatter on my fillets: 3x3x3/16 square tube to 3/8 plate. The butt and lap welds also had spatter, but it was acceptable. I've run hundreds of pounds of this wire and never had a problem. Maybe I bought a bad brand or something in my process has changed that I cannot pinpoint. Anybody got suggestions?

I still have not found the cause, but I found a solution. I switched to a 95%Argon/5%Oxygen shielding gas and the welds are spatter free without brush marks! It must be some bad wire?

Comment

Hawk,
      My experiance with FCAW is not the greatest, but, I teach my students to use a "spray" or "stick" type of an arc with an generous stick out(1/2"-5/8"with .045). Since you switched to the 95-5 gas I would expect to a see spray type and much hotter arc. The "brush marks" is usually a travel speed or surface cooling rate issue. Useing "Lincoln" Dual-Shield wire is my first choice. Sorry that I cannot be of much more help here. FCAW is not a popular process in my area so I haven't had much study time on it yet.
      Welding is hot and it's the coolest job you'll ever have.

Comment

Thanks for you thoughts. I think I'm going to go back to a premium brand wire. This 12 pound spool was a no name "freebie". It did the job as far as weld integrity, but the spatter in places was unacceptable. I've reviewed my process and cannot place blame anywhere but the wire. I'll try the Lincoln you suggested or the best available in this area and let you know what happens.

Comment

The marks in the weld are what we call "wormtracks" at work. They usually come from too short of stickout or too highof voltage. In either case the wire isn't getting enough pre heat to bake out the moisture. Also if the spool has been left uncovered in the shop their is a good chance it has picked up moisture. I usually run the .045" between 21-23 volts and 160-180 amps with a good 3/4" stickout. Best of luck.

Comment

bail76,

I agree with the moisture problem. This wire probably oulived its shelf life many moons ago. The fact that the 95% argon/5%oxygen shield produced good results is a key indicator the wire was not getting enough preheat. The oxygen signifigantly increased the preheat and got rid of the "worm tracks". I also switch back to the 4.50/lb E71T-1 with 75ar/25co2 and have had no more problems. Thanks for your input. As for the voltage and stick out we are running pretty close to the same. However, I may be running a little hotter and faster with a longer stickout pushing towards spray arc.

Comment

Working...
            X