X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tackit
    started a topic Any one own Precision Instrument torque werenches

Any one own Precision Instrument torque werenches

I need to buy new 1/2" and 3/8" torque wrenches. Anyone own a Precisian Instruments tool. There are so many cheapies out there it's hard to tell what's a good price for a quality tool. Precision Instruments is made in the USA. I would hope it's a better tool than a relabeled Chinese $30 dollar tool that sells near the price of a Precision Instruments.

• tackit
    replied
    Originally posted by cope View Post
    Don't ask how I know.
    I hear ya bud.

Leave a comment:

• cope
    replied
    Originally posted by tackit View Post
    I didn't know that Cope. Thank you for the tip, it's much appreciated.
    Don't ask how I know.

Leave a comment:

• tackit
    replied
    Originally posted by davido30093 View Post
    Take a close look at the CDI wrenches in the link. Note that the 3/8" only goes to 21.8 ft/ lbs (250 in/lbs).

I recently needed to replace some 20+ year old torque wrenches and, after a lot of looking, I found the digital torque wrenches on the Eastwood.com site. The accuracy specs are excellent compared to others plus they have the 72 tooth ratchet vs about half that for most others. I bought one for my son for Christmas. I will be using it in a couple of weeks to replace the head gasket on his car. Then I will know how good it is. At this point, I can only say that I have been very satisfied with everything that I have purchased from Eastwood and I have high hopes for the torque wrench.
    Dave I want a in/lb torque wrench for small bolts going into aluminum. The Eastwoods are nice wrenches, if they made a in/lb torque wrench I would consider them.

Leave a comment:

• davido30093
    replied
    Take a close look at the CDI wrenches in the link. Note that the 3/8" only goes to 21.8 ft/ lbs (250 in/lbs).

I recently needed to replace some 20+ year old torque wrenches and, after a lot of looking, I found the digital torque wrenches on the Eastwood.com site. The accuracy specs are excellent compared to others plus they have the 72 tooth ratchet vs about half that for most others. I bought one for my son for Christmas. I will be using it in a couple of weeks to replace the head gasket on his car. Then I will know how good it is. At this point, I can only say that I have been very satisfied with everything that I have purchased from Eastwood and I have high hopes for the torque wrench.

Leave a comment:

• tackit
    replied
    Originally posted by Jigantor View Post
    Snap On digitals are great I have the full set.

Ji
    Jigantor I think CDI is Snap On. I doubt I could afford their digital torque wrenches. G'day mate to all you Aussies, nice to have you on the board.

Leave a comment:

• tackit
    replied
    Originally posted by cope View Post
    tackit, the micrometer type torque wrenches need to be set back to zero after each use to keep their accuracy. I think you meant set it and forget it while in use, just wanted to be sure.
    I didn't know that Cope. Thank you for the tip, it's much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• cope
    replied
    In theory they are but in tight places and where there is no light it's not easy to read a beam. I like a clicker because I set it and forget it, that's why I want good ones.
    tackit, the micrometer type torque wrenches need to be set back to zero after each use to keep their accuracy. I think you meant set it and forget it while in use, just wanted to be sure.

Leave a comment:

• Jigantor
    replied
    Snap On digitals are great I have the full set.

Ji

Leave a comment:

• tackit
    replied
    I wish I had seen your post earlier cope, I would have saved a few bucks. I'm going to try and cancel my order.

Leave a comment:

• tackit
    replied
    Originally posted by GT6Steve View Post
    I've read that the beam torque wrenches are more accurate and repeatable than the clickers. Purportedly the top teams all use beam wrenches. I used to have the name of the recommended wrench written down but ****ed if I can find it now.

Maybe do a search on the SpeedTalk.com forums....
    In theory they are but in tight places and where there is no light it's not easy to read a beam. I like a clicker because I set it and forget it, that's why I want good ones.

Leave a comment:

• cope
    replied
    I need to buy new 1/2" and 3/8" torque wrenches. Anyone own a Precisian Instruments tool. There are so many cheapies out there it's hard to tell what's a good price for a quality tool. Precision Instruments is made in the USA. I would hope it's a better tool than a relabeled Chinese $30 dollar tool that sells near the price of a Precision Instruments.
    Look on eBay at CDI. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CDI-TORQUE-W...item1e568a62cf

and http://www.ebay.com/itm/CDI-TORQUE-W...item20c30c867c

Leave a comment:

• GT6Steve
    replied
    I've read that the beam torque wrenches are more accurate and repeatable than the clickers. Purportedly the top teams all use beam wrenches. I used to have the name of the recommended wrench written down but ****ed if I can find it now.

Maybe do a search on the SpeedTalk.com forums....

Leave a comment:

• tackit
    replied
    Originally posted by Helios View Post
    What about the old "beam" style torque wrenches? Not much can go wrong with them, and if the pointer gets out of alignment, you just bend it back...
    My old eyes like the click type of torque wrenches better. Especially in places where there is little light

Leave a comment:

• Helios
    replied
    What about the old "beam" style torque wrenches? Not much can go wrong with them, and if the pointer gets out of alignment, you just bend it back...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X