X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWD
    replied
    hey what can i say HAWK thanks alot!

one more thing, whats a major feature that separates the mm 175 and the mm 210? it costs an extra 'G' here and aside from the duty cycle and the 35 amps, what is the major feature? or are the two mentioned it?

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Mig Welding

JWD,

1. The mig torch travel speed is set by the wire diameter, voltage, and wire speed. Adjusting the the wire speed and voltage to give you a crisp, crackling sound to the arc is what you want in the short arc mode. Keep the arc fairly tight to the metal. Practice, practice, practice. It would be great to have an experienced mig welder give some hands on pointers! Perhaps a friend or someone at your local welding shop could get you started. As for the wire diameter-I find that .035 works well for 1/8" and larger material. It is a really versatile size requiring medium wire feed speeds(200ipm-500ipm).

2. The Millermatic 210 is a great machine. It is offered with a spool gun package for doing aluminum. It is a smooth running machine with a nice arc. You'll need the spoolgun for aluminum. The softer aluminum wire will not feed well through a standard mig torch.

3. When welding aluminum you'll really have to increase your travel speed to avoid burn through or meltdown. The longer you weld on a piece of aluminum the faster you will have to travel. It helps to weld it in short runs. It is very hard to learn and requires dedication and practice. Aluminum mig welding is done in the spray mode with 100% argon and freezes to the base metal almost instantly on contact making it great for all position welding. The crisp, crackling sound of the steel mig arc will be replaced by a steady hissing sound of the aluminum spraying from the spool gun nozzle. You will also have to maintain a greater stick on the aluminum(3/4"-1"). There are a lot of variables and it will really help to have some hands on pointers when getting started. You must push the spool gun forward with aluminum. It is very difficult to achieve a good bead by pulling the torch toward you. Aluminum has to be very clean to weld properly. Get the surface oxides off by brushing with a stainless steel brush. You've got to set your voltage for the thickness say 23 volts for 3/16" and then adjust your wire speed to get in to a good spray arc(nice even hissing sound).

4. You are looking at about 3/8" thickness for a single pass. This may vary a bit between aluminum, stainless, and mild steel.

5. You can use the spool gun for all types of wire, but the aluminum filler wires are softer and not as hard on the gun. You will probably want to run you mild steel and stainless steel through the regular mig torch (like a Miller M25).

Good luck and as always post your questions. Hopefully some of these guys out here on the forum using the MM210 daily will add some more valuable information(PISTOL8 has an MM210 that he loves).

If you need more specifics, give me a shout and I'll try to help you out. It's tough to do long distance. Test drive your machine and let us know what happens. Maybe we can get you up and running. There are lots of great people on this forum that will be glad to help out-I feel sure of this. Maybe ROCK and Andy will add their pieces to this pie.

Leave a comment:

• JWD
    started a topic MIG questions

MIG questions

oh no its me again!

ok um im down to my last three weeks to buy my first welder! im now contiplating the syncrowave 180 tig welder or a good mig welder! goin by cost for the materials and bein for hobby use i think ill only be working with stainless steel, mild steel, aluminum... i think thats it! ive done a wee bit of mig on one setting, never had a chance to experiment with a machine, they were ungly, sloppy welds! ive never done tig, im sortof hopping the slower travel speeds would allow me to throw down a good one! i dont really want to take the time to learn tig just yet! anyways now my questions!

what MIG welding setup would give me the smoothest welds? is there anyway i could have the MIG go slower, well to bring the torch travel speed down? the faster i go the shakier i get!
    what should i expect when it comes to welding aluminum with MIG?

what thickness ranges should i expect from the following metals with a millermatic 210 with the spoolgun for aluminum? stainless steel, mild steel, aluminum

i think thats it for now! thanks alot for any input!
Working...
X