Spot welding sheet to tubing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spot welding sheet to tubing

I've been considering getting a spot welder for certain jobs and was wondering what the limits are to its capabilities. For instance, can I spot weld a sheet to a tube, where the bottom tong does not fit up against the actual weld joint, but rather to the bottom of the tube and the current would flow around the tube before jumping to the sheet? One frequent task would be the joining of sheet down to 24-gauge to tubing as thin as .065-inch. Do any of you have experiences in general for the handiness of having a spot welder in a general fabrication and repair shop? Thanks, Mac

MAC702........... ALTHOUGH IT SOUNDS DO ABLE..... I THINK THE BEST SYSTEM FOR THIS APPLICATION WOULD BE THE TUBE TO SHEET PRODUCTS. THE PROBLEM WITH A SPOT WELDER IS THE FACT THAT CURRENT IS EQUAL ON BOTH TONGS TOP AND BOTTOM............ EVEN BY CHANGEING THE TIPS THE CURRENT WOULD STILL FLOW THRU THE THIN MATERIAL FIRST AND WOULD RESULT IN BURN THRU.............. I SUGGEST YOU CONTACT A ITW COMPANY CALLED JET LINE AT 1-949-951-1515. I THINK THEY WOULD PROABABLY HAVE SOMETHING IN THE SYSTEM INTERGATION SECTION THAT COULD HELP YOU OUT........IF NOT THEN A COMPANY CALLED LUBIRDI IN DAVIDSON N.C. MANUFACTURER TUBE TO SHEET PROCESSES THAT WILL FIT YOUR NEEDS THEIR NUMBER IS 704-892-8872...........REGARDS..........ROCK.......
    [email protected]
    ROCK

Comment

Rock, Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by "tube to sheet" products. Right now, I'm drilling holes and using rivets, which is a fairly clean product when done, but spot welding seemed so much faster, and I was trying to justify having another Miller welding machine anyway, ha ha. How handy in general is a spot welder in a general fabrication shop? Any of you out there that use one often? Oh, and Rock, PLEASE, take off the all-caps. You post more than anyone else, and they are very helpful, but they are much slower to read because of being all-caps. In the e-world, all-caps means you are "yelling" something. Keep up the great work. -MAC

Comment

MAC702........... BEEN DOING THIS FOR YEARS AND AS ALWAYS NO ONE IS YELLING......... PERCEPTIONS BEING WHAT THEY ARE.......... EVERYTHING I DO IN CAPS IS FROM HABIT......... MAYBE I'VE BEEN DOING THIS TO LONG.

However they did just send me to an e-mail class along with all the tech's at Miller Electric.......... When in caps it also takes up 13% more memory........... ..........and my memory has been upgraded 3 times.......... I think I know what they are talking about........ ............

Also you should space between subjects........... ...

When I hit 1500 answers on the other web site for the year I will be a convert. Problem is I've been doing caps as have most technicans for many years......... Old habits die hard.......

And it is not considered yelling any longer....... The instructor says it was being rude........... ....... But you can teach an old dog new tricks.............

Regards.............Rock.............
        [email protected]
        ROCK

Comment

Working...
        X