• Show
Clear All
  • mmurray39
    • Jan 2022

99.2 ohms. The coatin gives a yellow tint i think order is br bl white gold

Comment

• jjohn76
      • Aug 2018

100 ohms is typically brown black brown (gold is tolerance). That resistor seems like it should have a higher resistance - It looks to be in parallel to the arc voltage (~100-130V), so would have to be a pretty big resistor (100-169W) if it were 100 ohms. There is likely another component in parallel with it.

Comment

• mmurray39
        • Jan 2022

Ok so got it bk together turned on fires up fan comes on air solenoid an everything hit button air comes out no lights air blow good let of air runs its corse shut down fan on everything but arc ????? Did check from plug in on board through think I found second supply to octo coupler will put numbers from where. The reading i got before power on and after. If anybody want to see umm I dunno went with original setup of ga100na60up an the s1223p deal they could have been old should I try the ixyn s see what happens??just no arc

Comment

• mmurray39
          • Jan 2022

Hey no pops bangs or to be in need of fire dept i m impressed

Comment

• jjohn76
            • Aug 2018

My guess is in your pilot IGBT driver, and your IGBT and rectifier are fine. You can check for shorts across your rectifier - just use the pre-power checks from the Tech Manual. You can also make an IGBT tester - should be a circuit of one in that Hypertherm manual I sent you. Are you getting output voltage between the torch leads and work clamp? Only way I know to check is to have the case off, but you're exposed to anything that pops (IGBT fragments, hot capacitor dieelectric are biggest concerns), so it's worth eye protection and some shielding from anything that may come off with some energy behind it.

Comment

• mmurray39
              • Jan 2022

Ok depressed at min was hoping power from plug into board all overbacwards forwards. And yes power mod still got diodes in it there where 2 new things d18 now goes both ways just changed that out. When we started had a reading of 0.92 on ?the srt1 3 toward now its .009. ?? WAS THINKING SOMTHING HAPPENED IN TORCH HEAD SHORT CURCIT (sorry) that backed an i got what I got was getting great reading till power on oh yes brand new torch lead same issue I ll try that hypertherm igbt test circitfri in morn hey weekend lol understand your concern an thank.u about running sick machine in an unguarded condition will take all nessaties thank you I was hoping was running old thermo dynamic xr5 other day o m g lol had been beat on somthing outta young Frankenstein. Thank you for the help

Comment

• jjohn76
                • Aug 2018

I lost track - what's the srt?

Did you test D18 out of circuit when it was showing short (both directions)? If D18 failed when you powered up there is likely something in the gate driver circuit pulling too much current. Please confirm all of the gate drive components and optocoupler are still ok. R36 and R44 should be limiting power through that circuit. What is up stream of the R36/R44 junction? Does it go straight to the transformer on the board? If so, there should be another lead on the transformer connected to the ga100na60 collector.

If you don't have a power supply for the Hypertherm IGBT test circuit, you can use a 9V battery.

Comment

• mmurray39
                  • Jan 2022

Ok dident get the anode side of the octo coupler soldered very good d18 sometimes shows open sometimes show diode working feeding power module took it out yes bad just dident understand why it varied??? Oh went garage sale in with wife well draged along guess what I found for a 50. Hypertherm 43 max w quick disconnect and consumbles think the 125 torch been sat for long time it has what appears to be an hour meter. 66.7havent fired it yet prob dealer than doornail next summoning to do lol makin a drawing of octo circit through ignt an power mode thank to you I think I'm beginning to actually see what an why thing happen thank you the 2 sided board doesn't make it easy tho

Comment

• jjohn76
                    • Aug 2018

​​​​​​Those big power planes suck up a lot of heat, so you need a pretty high power solder gun and some time to get the solder flowing.

Comment

• jjohn76
                      • Aug 2018

My last message was marked for spam, so adding a new one...

On those circuit boards, the big planes or large sections of copper in the board, especially that lead to the torch and power components, need a lot of heat to get the solder working. I have a 240W gun and have been tempted to get a bigger solder iron for connecting components to those.

It looks like you've powered on the Max 43, so the buss capacitors are at least healthy enough to take full voltage. Before you try to cut anything, just power it up and let it sit idle for a half hour or so, then go easy on it. The capacitors rebuild themselves (thicken the metal oxide coatings inside) with voltage applied to them. It's usually best to slowly bring them up to working voltage over a long time (day or so), to make sure they don't fail, but since your machine already passed at full voltage, it will handle the voltage. The longer you let it sit, the more they will rebuild. I usually replace the capacitors on older machines, but when it's a pain to do or I risk more damage when replacing (soldered to board and/or potted with epoxy), I get the machine up to working voltage, then leave it idle whenever I'm in the shop for a few weeks. No set time, just more based on when I can get around to it in the project queue.

Comment

• mmurray39
                        • Jan 2022

Hey yup let it way warm up was very surprised it even turned on since handles on off switch where broken off and wasn't suppressed when hit handle switch got no fire yeah anyway handle wasn't fit together right so 3 hr later trying no to eriverarably damage it well did got it apart the red power lead had been shortig out against gas line to head fixed that used handle off 625 as that now has xt 40 works great so far. And I wasn't gonna go with wife lol. So back to miller the octo couple I got was a j312 500 the gullwing data sheet said all values same though I could bend legs down there to short jumper cable could work with more experience I might be able to make go but that was all.mouser had so found the j312. 000 at Nowark so they coming all I got it little ole soldering iron the 1peice straight thing an a gun type not my field of expertise interesting challenging. But not hitting thing with 8lbs sledge running the miller with cover off l

Comment

• mmurray39
                          • Jan 2022

Like manual adjust valves on running engine could go wrong real fast. Lol

Comment

• mmurray39
                            • Jan 2022

Thought I had the 625 extreme for 500 no lead no case on market place hever answered back. Thinking bout one or the 27l hobart

Comment

• jjohn76
                              • Aug 2018

Did I read that right, you have the Max 43 working with the XT40 torch? The Max 43 Technical Manual is available on the Hypertherm website. I can't remember if it had board schematics, but the Max 42 certainly did...

The 625 Extremes are pretty small for how much power they have. Definitely be sure to get one that works - those are a pain to fix.

Comment

• mmurray39
                                • Jan 2022

No. No.just plastic handles the shortage prob it had fused screws into 125 handles they got broken only handles hey. Any thoughts on this is it an hr meter. An my 180

Comment

Working...
                                X