X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcostello
    • Oct 2007

Price check on Welding.

I would like to know if I am in the ballpark on this welding job. Customer wants a 4' piece of porch railing welded up. He supplied the material cut to size. I don't have fixtures to clamp in as I don't usually do railings, more of a parts repair type shop. Will make something work. All I have to do is clamp, tack, and weld. Saw 4 small angle iron brackets to fasten on ends. Railing is 4'long with posts on 6" centers, about 8 of them. Quoted $50 and accepted. Is this price good for both parties or am I a little high?
  • dave powelson
    • Oct 2012

how to I price my work?

Originally posted by mcostello View Post
    I would like to know if I am in the ballpark on this welding job. Customer wants a 4' piece of porch railing welded up. He supplied the material cut to size. I don't have fixtures to clamp in as I don't usually do railings, more of a parts repair type shop. Will make something work. All I have to do is clamp, tack, and weld. Saw 4 small angle iron brackets to fasten on ends. Railing is 4'long with posts on 6" centers, about 8 of them. Quoted $50 and accepted. Is this price good for both parties or am I a little high?
    What's your shop rate?...that and where you're located influences
    pricing

4" max. open spacing is code for railing pickets, so this ain't to code
    ...and the UBC covers the entire US as a minimum

Comment

• go2building
      • Feb 2012

Price check on Welding.

4' of ornamental railing is not really worth the time. I would need to charge $400. With punched bottom rail channel and molded top rail. Primed and painted. Takes a lot of time for for such a short rail. $50 is not worth the time, even if its next door.

Comment

• Cgotto6
        • Feb 2012

Both these guys said exactly what I was going to. Such a small job just do it for what you think is fair (obviously this was $50) and balusters may not have larger than 4" openings.

Comment

• MMW
          • Sep 2005

It doesn't matter if your to high or to low because you accepted the job at $50. After your done you'll know either way. Keep track of your time.

All your doing is welding 8 ballusters to a top & bottom with 4 angle clips. No material, no install, no prime/paint, no p/u & delivery. Shouldn't take long at all.

If you spend much time researching/worrying about this you will have used up half the money already.
          MM250
          Trailblazer 250g
          22a feeder
          Lincoln ac/dc 225
          Victor O/A
          MM200 black face
          Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
          Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
          Arco roto-phase model M
          Vectrax 7x12 band saw
          Miller spectrum 875
          30a spoolgun w/wc-24
          Syncrowave 250
          RCCS-14

Comment

It really depends on your location, your customer base etc. If you are trying to get your name out there and you do it on the side that could be acceptable. ISome people say you shouldn't do work on the side but when you have a mortgage, a 50/hr week job and it's still not cutting it opening up a legit shop is not always possible. I chopped the back of a cb750 frame off, rolled a piece of tube , welded it back in and plated it for $200.....normally I would charge $400 or more but the guy was nice and has spread the word. Last week , through a CL ad I had a girl call up(she worked at a hardware store 5 minutes away. She needed a small angle clip REWELDED on the end of a thin angle for he sound recording stuff. I picked it up, welded it and had it back in 1/2 hour. I quoted $20, she gave me an extra $5 for gas and didn't charge me for a toilet bowl stopper that I needed. YOU decide if the price is right. I do this on the side for fun and any extra money is great. I also do it 50 hours during the week and enjoy every minute of it. I purposely TIG most jobs at my house just for the fun of it. Dave
            Originally posted by MMW View Post
            It doesn't matter if your to high or to low because you accepted the job at $50. After your done you'll know either way. Keep track of your time.

All your doing is welding 8 ballusters to a top & bottom with 4 angle clips. No material, no install, no prime/paint, no p/u & delivery. Shouldn't take long at all.

If you spend much time researching/worrying about this you will have used up half the money already.

Comment

• Forger
              • Jan 2013

I may sound like I am splitting hairs but the code actually states no 4" sphere shall be able to pass through any part of a railing so the minimun is actually less than 4",BTW if your customer is in a rural area and thier is no inspection requred don't be tempted to break code rules,insurance peope can find you anywhere.As far as the price,youll lose money no matter what on this job,if you quoted the price stick with it and write it off as a learning experiance.Good Luck

Comment

• monte55
                • Aug 2006

Not sure but since he is repairing a section and not installing all new railing, I think he can match original. If he is doing in shop and has nothing to do with installation, the panel could be for anything as far as he knows. It could be for growing vines on. Who knows. BTW...for $50, I would not bother to turn on my lights, welder, use wire and gas.
                Nick
                Miller 252 Mig
                Miller Cricket XL
                Millermatic 150 Mig
                Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
                2-O/A outfits
                Jet Lathe and Mill
                Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
                DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
                Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
                20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
                Propane Forge
                60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
                Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
                and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

• Sberry
                  • Sep 2005

A welding shop that is in business isnt paying anyone to do it at that rate.

Comment

• MMW
                    • Sep 2005

If I had 10 little jobs like this in my shop at $50 a pc. I would do it all day long. Knock them out in a day & get $500. If you have to do any travelling for just one pc. it wouldn't be worth it. Sometimes I do a lot of little jobs like this. It all adds up.

Just did one yesterday. Stopped on my way to a job & welded one bracket on for a customer. In n out in 30 minutes. $50.
                    Last edited by MMW; 02-02-2013, 11:09 AM.
                    MM250
                    Trailblazer 250g
                    22a feeder
                    Lincoln ac/dc 225
                    Victor O/A
                    MM200 black face
                    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                    Arco roto-phase model M
                    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                    Miller spectrum 875
                    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                    Syncrowave 250
                    RCCS-14

Comment

• go2building
                      • Feb 2012

Price check on Welding.

It costs me about $100 per day just for insurance and rent on the shop. I can't spend my time on $50.00 jobs and I won't do sub par railings, can't take the risk and having my insurance go up!

Comment

• ampedtech
                        • Nov 2010

retired now (not from welding)

, but it cost $50 to say "good morning" to me and that is if YOU are bring me the coffee!

Comment

• aametalmaster
                          Chairman Of The Board
                          • Sep 2005

I quit doing railings 6 years ago. Love doing them and making different designs but the money isn't there at least in my area. Had i said 50 bucks he would have said could you do it for 40 ...Bob
                          Bob Wright

Comment

• mcostello
                            • Oct 2007

Thanks all, I am still learning as I go, and its still money to pay bills. Not a lot of work now and something beats nothing.

Comment

• Cgotto6
                              • Feb 2012

Can't argue with that!

Comment

Working...
                              X