X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clint738
    • Dec 2012

CST280 Dinse or Tweco lead connectors?

Looks like the CST 280 is considered the best inverter stick welder, but now I have a few questions so I can pick the right machine.

I have 2 question topics, one on the connector types Dinse vs Tweco and the second regarding the different voltage CST 280 Stick welders.

1 - What is the difference in using the Dinse vs Tweco, is one a better (more robust) connection style?
    - What is the advantage/disadvantages of each?

Looks like for my application I will be needing 35-50ft #2 welding/ground leads.

I measured with a Fluke meter and I have 242Vac here.

2 - There are two different voltage models in the CST 280

A - 220-230V / 460-575V Model
    - Dinse
    - Tweco
    ** Max open-circuit voltage (77Vdc)

B - 208-230V / 400-460V Model
    - Dinse
    - Tweco
    ** Max open-circuit voltage (67Vdc)

Why are there 2 different Models? Is one for European 50Hz and the other type for US 60Hz?

There is also a VRD model (Voltage reduction) which has a lower max open-circuit voltage of 30VDC, but I don't think I want that one since I have read on here about people having a hard time starting the arc with that feature.

Thanks!
  • elvis
    • Nov 2012

Mine has dinse, but my leads are tweco. So I just some adapters. My understanding is that it just depends on what industry your in. Also, my receptacle has a measured 238v. If you want to run it on industrial power then the 400-500v part is important.

If I was in your shoes I would see what type of leads I could get for a good price, and then buy a machine that fits those leads. Also, you could get 25' leads then 25' extensions. Or whatever length extensions meet your needs. Just put your tweco/dinse twist connectors on the extensions and you'll be good to go.
    MillerMatic 251
    Maxstar 150 STH
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

• BD1
      • Oct 2006

When I got my CST 280 tweco connectors were all they had. I just took tweco
      male and a short piece of cable and added jackson females on the end. All my cable connectors are jackson.

Comment

• clint738
        • Dec 2012

Why will miller include 2 Dines male connectors with the machine but not Tweco connectors?

Are Tweco connectors proprietary or more expensive? Why not provide for both?

Comment

• clint738
          • Dec 2012

I don't have any stick welding leads or tig welding leads of any sort, so I will be starting from scratch. Thats why I figured some of you might have some suggestions on what you would do if you could start from scratch and purchase it all to match.

It looks like the tig lead side is the part puzzling me.

Do air cooled (with valve) tig welding leads typically come in one or the other, or are they readily available in both dinse and tweco?

For the CST 280, does the tig gas go through the dinse or tweco connector or is some special adapter needed that may determine if I need one or the other type connectors?

Comment

• BD1
            • Oct 2006

Here's the manual site.
            http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o217655e_mil.pdf page 17

This may help too , http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/TIGhandbook/

Field welding set up from another site.

Comment

• clint738
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
              Thanks BD1 for some of the links. I've read through the CST 280 over and over when I was looking for the lead length ratings and supply ratings.

Judging by what I've seen a lot on cyberweld, it looks like I may have an easier time finding connectors that are DINSE style, so I'm thinking of getting a welder with the DINSE style connections.

Anyone think I should go with the TWECO instead?

It just looks like the TIG torches seem to always use DINSE so it might be easier to get a machine with them and not have to use TWECO/DINSE adapters.

Comment

• BD1
                • Oct 2006

It really doesn't matter what the machine has. We made up short pigtails from machine connector to our jackson connector. The cable in between was about 12'' long.
                Length of lead ? You mean for stick welding ? It is not uncommon for us to run
                200' to 300'. This is jobsite conditions.
                You can't go wrong on connectors. See what is in stock and go from there. When work bought a bunch of CST 280's we got both. That's the reason for the pig tails. All our cable, stingers, and grounds have jackson connectors.

Comment

• elvis
                  • Nov 2012

Originally posted by clint738 View Post
                  Thanks BD1 for some of the links. I've read through the CST 280 over and over when I was looking for the lead length ratings and supply ratings.

Judging by what I've seen a lot on cyberweld, it looks like I may have an easier time finding connectors that are DINSE style, so I'm thinking of getting a welder with the DINSE style connections.

Anyone think I should go with the TWECO instead?

It just looks like the TIG torches seem to always use DINSE so it might be easier to get a machine with them and not have to use TWECO/DINSE adapters.
                  It sounds like you do not need to make this work at a jobsite. Given that just get the dinse. You can get a dinse connector for a tig torch that has a gas hose out the top that will go over to your flowmeter. Then you can use a torch with a gas valve on it and lift tig. I run something similar. Works fine. When you start your arc you can hold the tungsten away from your work piece about the thickness of your filler rod and then whip the filler through the gap to start the arc. That is a fun little trick.

If you go somewhere and need a different end just make some pigtails. Mine are just dinse on one end and tweco on the other with a short lead of 1/0 or 2/0, I don't remember. As you have some extra coin you could make pigtails so that you are always prepared. I do something like that with power cords. My machines run 6-50p ends and the shop I'm at right now only have 14-50r to supply the power. So I just have a short conversion cord that I made for a few bucks. Works fine. I need to make one to run off a 3-prong dryer plug so that I can take machines to other peoples houses.
                  MillerMatic 251
                  Maxstar 150 STH
                  Cutmaster 42
                  Victor Journeyman OA

Comment

• clint738
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by elvis View Post
                    It sounds like you do not need to make this work at a jobsite. Given that just get the dinse. You can get a dinse connector for a tig torch that has a gas hose out the top that will go over to your flowmeter. Then you can use a torch with a gas valve on it and lift tig. I run something similar. Works fine. When you start your arc you can hold the tungsten away from your work piece about the thickness of your filler rod and then whip the filler through the gap to start the arc. That is a fun little trick.

If you go somewhere and need a different end just make some pigtails. Mine are just dinse on one end and tweco on the other with a short lead of 1/0 or 2/0, I don't remember. As you have some extra coin you could make pigtails so that you are always prepared. I do something like that with power cords. My machines run 6-50p ends and the shop I'm at right now only have 14-50r to supply the power. So I just have a short conversion cord that I made for a few bucks. Works fine. I need to make one to run off a 3-prong dryer plug so that I can take machines to other peoples houses.
                    Elvis, it looks like you are definetely the person I need to talk to since you have the CST 280 w/17v air cooled tig torch. I am looking for the 200A tig torch with valve complete setup (hoses and regulator) but they don't give the valvle option in the package here:
                    Buy discount welding supplies from Cyberweld. We carry everything from welders to helmets from top brands like Miller®, Lincoln Electric® and more.

I think I will specify the machine connector type based on the tig setup. I can always use adapters on the stick stuff.

I am just not sure what setup I need. I also will be wanting the heavy duty 14-pin version petal for tig.

Comment

• clint738
                      • Dec 2012

Also found this torch with "valve" but not sure if this will work with the CST 280. Looks like only a gas connector and not a connector to plug into the welder

I like that it is a 200A 25ft tig setup though. Just not sure what to buy. Don't want to buy the wrong stuff and end up with adapter after adapter to try to make it work.

Comment

• BD1
                        • Oct 2006

Did you decide where you will be purchasing machine ? I would check with local suppliers for a package deal. If you get setup all at once, BIG BUCKS !
                        Talk to them about a tank too, like a 125. I know there is not much room to
                        work with on machine, buy should be able to work out a heck of a deal on the rest of the goodies ! I can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• clint738
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
                          Did you decide where you will be purchasing machine ? I would check with local suppliers for a package deal. If you get setup all at once, BIG BUCKS !
                          Talk to them about a tank too, like a 125. I know there is not much room to
                          work with on machine, buy should be able to work out a heck of a deal on the rest of the goodies ! I can't wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          I will either be buying the machine local at the only weld shop here (AirGas), online at CyberWeld from the looks of things.

I went by the AirGas today and picked up some victor cutting tips. They don't carry a single dinse Or Tweco connector in stock, just this Radnor stuff. They also had nothing in the way of tig torches on the shelf or even replacement parts for them, just the filler material.

So it looks like I will pretty much have to have part numbers and go through manuals with them. I asked them if they ever use to carry demo units for people to try and they said they don't do that anymore since then they have to list the demo unit as used and they acted like the demos never helped sales.

On bottles oxy, acet they told me rentals are $50 a year on each bottle regardless of the size. So I guess they get you on the bigger bottles when it cost more to fill them.

I didn't ask if they sale bottles, guess I need to but not sure if they offer it.

I am sort of thinking I will visit the AirGas 40 miles away and talk to them about the welder purchase since they are an authorized repair place as well and the local one here is a very small store with only a few Lincoln migs on display, not to mention there is a Lincoln Tech there from time to time so I thing they seem to push Lincoln stuff.

Comment

• elvis
                            • Nov 2012

I think your looking for something like this: http://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=9105

you can call them or cyberweld and they can help you out. I have talked to arc zone on the phone before. Very nice people.
                            MillerMatic 251
                            Maxstar 150 STH
                            Cutmaster 42
                            Victor Journeyman OA

Comment

• BD1
                              • Oct 2006

Is Air gas all you have by you ??? That sucks. I would call before I drive 40 miles.
                              Here's a posting from another site on Air Gas, worth reading, THEY SUCK ! I don't got there

Comment

Working...
                              X