need advice soon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice soon!

I'm starting a business building off-road cars. Frames are made of 4130 C-moly w/ tubing sizes between 3/4" & 1-3/4" & Wall thicknesses are between .065 & .120. Other parts can reach the 3/8"to 1/2" range.

I'm going to sub-out the welding but will supply the welder. I've been borrowing a Miller 185 but that is going away. Just a note... I will weld some of the parts but when asthetics count it will be subbed out.

The competition have excellent welders using ???welding machines??? that seem to produce consistant, low heat, welds. Rumors vary on machines & technique. I am not an expert and don't have time to learn all the specifics of welding. Personally, I can weld pieces together so they don't come apart but it isn't the quality I can sub out.
    I need a machine that a competent welder can produce excellent welds on a production basis. The gun must be small enough to get into high angle tube connections. Cable length? 12'-15'? Is 15' too long?
    Note: I've been using .030 wire to this point.
    There are more welding considerations like alum & SS,but these are secondary because there is a TIG in the shop and I tend to not believe in one machine does it all with a high level of performance. But it would be nice.
    This is getting lengthy... If you can suggest, what machine will produce high strength welds, with the lowest heat transfer into the parts, and with a production rating? And if it doesn't compromise for the most part the above considerations, could it have other applications such as SS & Alum.

I'm looking at three groups:
    1) base machine to get the job done ($2500 or less)
    2) and a step up, $5000 or less
    3) my wish list - no limit

I would try to find a Miller Vintage. They aren't in the 2003 catalog, but they should still be available from dealer's inventory. With a spool gun for aluminum it will up your limit to a bit over $3000, but who knows how much dealers will discount the machine. I have a perfectly good 250 amp PowCon invereter, but if I had the money there would be a Vintage in my garage right now.

Comment

Thanks cope, I'll check the vintage out.

Comment

Just read your post and one thing sprang to mind: Would you be willing to sub your parts out to me in Northern Califonia? I have a TIG (180 SD) and a MIG (251) that would be more than adequate for the stuff you're doing, plus I can do alum (TIG only right now, need a spool gun) and S/S. I also have a mill and lathe if need be. I can send you a resume, pictures of my shop, pictures of weld samples and the tube frame car we're doing right now, anything you want! Give me a shot, you won't be dissapointed. I also have quite a bit of experience with tube chassis drag race cars and 4130N, and if you ever needed CAD drawings, I can do that too. If you like, you can reply to my personal email at [email protected]

Thanks for your consideration!
        Matt

Comment

I like the Millermatic 251 MIG with a spoolgun package for your needs. It runs in at less than $3200. part # 951009. There is also one with a 15 ft gun instead of the 30ft for a couple hundred $ less.

As far as TIG units go, a Syncrowave or Dynasty package is the way to go.

Hope this helps.

A-

Comment

Originally posted by ASKANDY
            I like the Millermatic 251 MIG with a spoolgun package for your needs. It runs in at less than $3200. part # 951009. There is also one with a 15 ft gun instead of the 30ft for a couple hundred $ less.

As far as TIG units go, a Syncrowave or Dynasty package is the way to go.

Hope this helps.

A-
            Andy, a small bit of information here,I purchased a Miller 251 with 30A Spoolmatic,dual cylinder rack with two regulators and hoses in 8-02 out the door taxes included for $2,506. The supply shop is located in Concord California. They are 29 miles from home as local dealers wanted $400 to $575 more and were firm on their prices. My gain, you must shop. Carl W. [email protected].

Comment

Good job on your purchase!!
              I think you will love it. It pays to shop around. I've seen them as high as $3200!

A-

Comment

Working...
              X