• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Country Metals
    • Jul 2010

4" = 2lb
    8" = 10lb

then you order by 33#, 45#, but your machine can only handle up to 10lb spools. If you don't weld for a long period of time (2 weeks), take out the spool and get it into a climate controlled area. This will prevent rust from building up on the wire.

A bottle will only last you as high as you crank up your gas flow. Following proper gas flow usage will extend the life of the bottle. Miller weld calculator has gas flow on it I believe.

Buy the same wire, every wire runs a little different. Not talking thickness, talking manufacturer. This will help you get the handle of it faster. Hobart wire is usually available anywhere (Home Depot, Tractor Supply, ect) and is a good overall wire.

Comment

• Cgotto6
      • Feb 2012

In an earlier post you were talking about using a carpentry chop saw and loading a metal cutting blade on it... Don't. They spin many times too fast and has no proper way to clamp a metal work piece.

I just replaced my Mikita metal abrasive chop saw with the Ridgid model at Home Depot and I couldn't be happier with it. No more rattles, crazy stable/heavy cast base with multiple extra clamping locations.

I would also suggest clamps. C clamps, welding vice grips, mini c clamps, magnet clamps, etc. I always seem to be wishing I had one more of one of these during a mock up.

Comment

• pmac
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Cgotto6 View Post
        In an earlier post you were talking about using a carpentry chop saw and loading a metal cutting blade on it... Don't. They spin many times too fast and has no proper way to clamp a metal work piece.

I just replaced my Mikita metal abrasive chop saw with the Ridgid model at Home Depot and I couldn't be happier with it. No more rattles, crazy stable/heavy cast base with multiple extra clamping locations.

I would also suggest clamps. C clamps, welding vice grips, mini c clamps, magnet clamps, etc. I always seem to be wishing I had one more of one of these during a mock up.
        AHHH, I see. Ok then a chop saw I must get. I have lots and lots of clamps from doing mechanic work on my vehicles. I have vice type, Lots of c clamps of different sizes. I want to get some of them magnet arrow types, maybe a non magnetic corner clamp type as well. I have lots of and lots of clamps already, still will end up buying some more.

I dont know where to buy metal at. Get that and I live in pittsburgh Steel town. I would like to buy an assortment of scrap pieces to practice on before I buy any new stuff to build with. I want to make sure I dont end up building an ugly half @ssed stand for my welder. But I will definitly do a good bit of practicing before I attempt any real project like the welder cart.

Thanks Again,

PMAC

Comment

• elvis
          • Nov 2012

Hey PMAC-

I have been working on some artistic type projects to fill my time (unemployeed) and I went to a local welding shop and went through their scrap bin. I got quite a pile of 20 ga and 1/8" plate for about $5. Just a thought there... If you don't like the price for scrap then just bargain with them. The answer is always NO until you ask! I would get an assortment of 1/8" 3/16" and 1/4". Practice with all of it in as many positions as you can. Do a little welding, go watch some of Jody's videos, go back to welding, repeat as necessary.

Oh and this thread is useless without pictures!
          MillerMatic 251
          Maxstar 150 STH
          Cutmaster 42
          Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

• pmac
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by elvis View Post
            Hey PMAC-

I have been working on some artistic type projects to fill my time (unemployeed) and I went to a local welding shop and went through their scrap bin. I got quite a pile of 20 ga and 1/8" plate for about $5. Just a thought there... If you don't like the price for scrap then just bargain with them. The answer is always NO until you ask! I would get an assortment of 1/8" 3/16" and 1/4". Practice with all of it in as many positions as you can. Do a little welding, go watch some of Jody's videos, go back to welding, repeat as necessary.

Oh and this thread is useless without pictures!
            Ohhh goood Idea!! I put an add on craigslist for scrap to practice, I even put in the ad I will PAY i am not looking for free scrap. I want to buy, I got one response I replied told him i would take like 50-75 worth of scrap pieces to get some practice and he never wrote back, he was the only response. There are so many looking to take peoples scrap metal for free. I figured I would surely get some responses to me actually offereing to buy it. But ya I will go check out some places there are a few places I already have in mind.

Soon as I actually start I will get some pictures up. I been watching lots of video's. I think I am going to go ahead and put my order for a chop saw, and 4 1/2 inch angle grinder and some Nozzle gel and a 10 lb spool of wire, and a spool of flux core wire. I guess as long as I am not welding yet I might as well finish off some of the other things I will need. I was looking at the rigid that was mentioned from earlier poster. I might as well get it!

Thanks again,

PMAC

Comment

• elvis
              • Nov 2012

What was the rigid? I must have missed that. I can locally source dewalt 14" chop saws with quick change fences for about $200. I bought a dewalt 4.5" angle grinder for $60 locally. I like to buy local when I can to keep my smaller city stores around. Plus I can't stand the service at the big orange box stores. Those ding dongs don't know $#!T about what they are selling! FWIW, I had a ryobi angle grinder that always performed well for years for about $30 until it got yoinked. Did you mention whether or not you had a good bench vise? I think mine is a 6" opening and very heavy duty, but I wish it was bigger. That being said, I was successful at changing the u-joints in my 3/4 ton duramax pickup tonight with it, so it must be big enough... even with the 10* temperature I was working in.

One thing I have figured out recently is that I need to quit my nomadic lifestyle because I keep wishing I had the power to run the tools I think that I need. 3-phase for the stick welder and loads of 1-phase 230v for the mig and air compressor.
              MillerMatic 251
              Maxstar 150 STH
              Cutmaster 42
              Victor Journeyman OA

Comment

• clint738
                • Dec 2012

I was able to pick up a Dewalt 4.5" 10amp (the bigger one) with 5 grinding wheels from a local tractor supply for $65 on black friday. They may still have some sales going on.

The smaller version is only 7amps. Read the tag on the grinder to tell the difference.

Was mig welding my father-in-laws trailer last week and tried it out and it was night and day difference between my dewalt and his cheap harbor freight grinder. His was bogging down just using a wire brush on it.

We use these 4.5" 10amp dewalt grinders in my parents welding shop and they were tough as nails and never had a problem with them over many many years of daily 8hr work days. Had a brand new Makita 5" grinder that destroyed it self internally in about 2 months doing the same kind of work.

Comment

• pmac
                  • Feb 2007

What was the rigid? I must have missed that. I can locally source dewalt 14" chop saws with quick change fences for about $200. I bought a dewalt 4.5" angle grinder for $60 locally. I like to buy local when I can to keep my smaller city stores around. Plus I can't stand the service at the big orange box stores. Those ding dongs don't know $#!T about what they are selling! FWIW, I had a ryobi angle grinder that always performed well for years for about $30 until it got yoinked. Did you mention whether or not you had a good bench vise? I think mine is a 6" opening and very heavy duty, but I wish it was bigger. That being said, I was successful at changing the u-joints in my 3/4 ton duramax pickup tonight with it, so it must be big enough... even with the 10* temperature I was working in.

One thing I have figured out recently is that I need to quit my nomadic lifestyle because I keep wishing I had the power to run the tools I think that I need. 3-phase for the stick welder and loads of 1-phase 230v for the mig and air compressor.
                  I do have a nice heavy duty bench vice, and another that is not as big. I was telling my gf about ryobi for as cheap as it is, I saw guys using only ryobi tools for a long time. I always used dewalt, makita, milwaukee for the most part.

I might actually just grab that 4 1/2 ryobi. TO get started, I figure you always want to have more than one grinder. I do have a big heavy duty milwauke variable speed buffer. But I know i can get grinding blade for it. But still am going to get a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder asap. Most likely today. I also have to grab a chop saw. We really dont have any small guys left around here anymore. Not really any that I can think of to buy power tools. The big box stores put them all out of business. And thier return policy was always a hassle if something went down. Thats one thing that is good about the big box store. They do have a good return policy if something breaks down.

But ya someone mentioned the rigid chip saw, and it did really good by him. Its only about 30 bucks cheaper I think than the dewalt. There is a real expesive dewalt but the one i am talking about is like 199.00. Hopefully they have some sales going on. Tht would be nice.

Thanks again,

PMAC

Comment

• Manisoba
                    • Mar 2012

Well I hate to be a bother

Get whatever chop saw has a cast base not a stamped sheet metal one. Over time the cuts stay straighter.

Comment

• pmac
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Manisoba View Post
                      Get whatever chop saw has a cast base not a stamped sheet metal one. Over time the cuts stay straighter.
                      Ya I can see that. I was just looking at them. I am pretty sure its the dewalt for me.

I am bummed my helmet and tank, and some accessories order is delayed. Ups screwed up and Now i will have to wait til monday for my order. That really bums me out. I guess cause of snow from the area and it being some of the busiest days for them. Its sitting in a town about 30 minutes away but wont be delivered til monday but that really gripes me.

Comment

• elvis
                        • Nov 2012

Around here UPS is really good about letting you show up to the distro facility and pick up your item. It would add a little to shipping costs but then you get to play all weekend... just at thought. Of course back east it might be too late now.
                        MillerMatic 251
                        Maxstar 150 STH
                        Cutmaster 42
                        Victor Journeyman OA

Comment

• Cgotto6
                          • Feb 2012

The dewalt is junk. I got one a few years ago to replace my cast base harbor freight saw, but returned it after a few cuts because it rattled so much and the base was very cheap. I liked the harbor freight one better, so I just went back to that. But a few months ago my buddy got the Ridgid saw and was raving about it. He let me try it and I was shocked how quiet and vibration free it was. I've had mine now for a bit and still think its worth the money. Just make sure you don't run junk abrasives, like everything sold at big box stores. I only use Sg- elastic brand chop saw blades and cutoff wheels. They cut like butter and are pretty durable.

Comment

• pmac
                            • Feb 2007

Around here UPS is really good about letting you show up to the distro facility and pick up your item. It would add a little to shipping costs but then you get to play all weekend... just at thought. Of course back east it might be too late now.
                            Ya I was thinking about that, even looked into it, But its like a 40 mile drive each way. And My I need to go have my picture taken for my drivers license, needs renewed. So I am pretty much SOL!

Comment

• pmac
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Cgotto6 View Post
                              The dewalt is junk. I got one a few years ago to replace my cast base harbor freight saw, but returned it after a few cuts because it rattled so much and the base was very cheap. I liked the harbor freight one better, so I just went back to that. But a few months ago my buddy got the Ridgid saw and was raving about it. He let me try it and I was shocked how quiet and vibration free it was. I've had mine now for a bit and still think its worth the money. Just make sure you don't run junk abrasives, like everything sold at big box stores. I only use Sg- elastic brand chop saw blades and cutoff wheels. They cut like butter and are pretty durable.
                              Well I have no problem getting the Ridgid. Specially being a little bit less. One good thing about HD is thier return policy. You can hammer them up for 89 days and take it back on the 90th and exchange. Good info though, it got good reviews too. I will go for that. I need to get it asap. Most likely be picking it up with an angle grinder tomorrow. Kind of got tied up today. But since my other stuff is sitting at New stanton UPS facility, I got til monday. I will try it out, and they might even be running a sale since its the holidays.

Comment

• pmac
                                • Feb 2007

Someone earlier on said to watch, "Jody's videos" Where can I find them?

Comment

Working...
                                X