Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

• go2building
      • Feb 2012

Looking to buy a welder and learn how to weld

Look for a use one. Lots of people get a base model welder,to get into hobby welding, then find out its an expensive hobby and sell it.
      Kevin

Comment

• pmac
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
        Where are you located?

used is always an option also
        I am in Pittsburgh, PA.

I am considering a used one, but since i dont know to much about it. I dont want to get shafted. I guess in the end I will get a smaller welder and as I learn just move up to the one i really want/need.

Its tough i been looking at so many. I just want one that I will be able to learn on good. I would like to get the best one I can buy but dont want to put out like 1000 bucks just for a welder right off the bat. SO its been very stressful.
        Last edited by pmac; 12-12-2012, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• pmac
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by go2building View Post
          Look for a use one. Lots of people get a base model welder,to get into hobby welding, then find out its an expensive hobby and sell it.
          Kevin
          I was looking at some, I have a guy sending me pics of a lincoln weld pak 150 or 155 something like that, he will be sening pics tomorrow. But I think i will just try to get one to get started and when I get good enough just move up to a better one. But that could all change by tomorrow or even later this evening. Its been rough looking at so many with so many different specs etc.

Comment

• Broccoli1
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by pmac View Post
            I am in Pittsburgh, PA.

I am considering a used one, but since i dont know to much about it. I dont want to get shafted. I guess in the end I will get a smaller welder and as I learn just move up to the one i really want/need.

Its tough i been looking at so many. I just want one that I will be able to learn on good. I would like to get the best one I can buy but dont want to put out like 1000 bucks just for a welder right off the bat. SO its been very stressful.
            I would contact this guy and find out where he got his HH190

Ed Conley
            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
            MM252
            MM211
            Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
            TA185
            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
            O/A set
            SO 2020 Bender
            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

• pmac
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jfk92 View Post
              pmac,

you resonate my situation - except that I posted something similar spring of this year - my local voc school has a hobby class as intro to welding - a workshop atmosphere where you can learn ANY method - I did MIG for one night - then Stick for a little more than about a 1/2 of the classes and have been working on TIG since with next week being my last class. Craigslist is your friend (along with THIS forum and the weldingtipsandtricks.com site). I bought a used Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC as a stick machine of CL and just recently acquired a MM211. My future goal is to get the stinger and another bottle set up for a scratch start TIG - point is - get into a hobby class with an instructor to start. Then use CL to get some equipment (or buy new if you have the $) - then as EVERYone states and states again and again for completely valid reasons - get time burning metal .....good luck.
              Ya the burn time is why I am so eager to get a welder asap. I have a guy from craigslist selling the lincoln weldpak 155 used for 300 bucks. Being that I dont know much about them other than they condition. It looks to be in good condition. He sent me 6 pictures of it or so. But it is 220, and the hobart 140 is regular 110 house line 20 amp circuit.

So far this is the toughest thing I ever wanted to buy LOL, but it is all in a good way. The guy with the brand new lincoln 180 for 400 never responded. I would much rather get something brand new. But I dont want something too too cheap. OhHHHh decisions decisions.

Comment

• jmpgino
                • Feb 2009

The 211 is a very good welder. I am luck enough to have three Millers a Dynasty 200DX, CST 280 and the 211. I could probably do 90% of what I play around with using the 211. I have built a Utility trailer, using flux core, steel and wood tables using S Bronze and on and on.........great machine a little heavy when a full roll of S bronze is in it, I am getting old now, so I notice the weight more now. Get a 211 and you will honestly love it.

Comment

• jmpgino
                  • Feb 2009

I forgot to mention something else. Do not buy rubbish tools ever, I have a friend who purchased an electric drill for something like $30, it blew up after half a dozen screws. You get what you pay for. I have never had a good tool fail on me yet.
                  I have three Hasselblad cameras, one of them cost me $14000.00 and none have ever failed, the oldest I purchased in 1983. I have two Leica cameras and again never failed me.
                  Plastic Nikon cameras, I have three and all three have failed. My Miller stuff is the same quality as my Swedish and German cameras.
                  What I am trying to say is, do not skimp on quality, what you pay now will in a few years of use seem like nothing. The new Hasselblads are about $45000.00 when I paid the $14000.00 I had to take a deep breath...........so take a deep breath and get the 211.

Comment

• pmac
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jmpgino View Post
                    I forgot to mention something else. Do not buy rubbish tools ever, I have a friend who purchased an electric drill for something like $30, it blew up after half a dozen screws. You get what you pay for. I have never had a good tool fail on me yet.
                    I have three Hasselblad cameras, one of them cost me $14000.00 and none have ever failed, the oldest I purchased in 1983. I have two Leica cameras and again never failed me.
                    Plastic Nikon cameras, I have three and all three have failed. My Miller stuff is the same quality as my Swedish and German cameras.
                    What I am trying to say is, do not skimp on quality, what you pay now will in a few years of use seem like nothing. The new Hasselblads are about $45000.00 when I paid the $14000.00 I had to take a deep breath...........so take a deep breath and get the 211.
                    Ya I dealt with that with carpentry tools. Always got good stuff. I was just trying to get a welder i could start learning with.

But I guess I will save up and get the MM211

It just seems like alot of money to learn on. But At least it will still be good once I do learn. I certianly would like to find a good used one, Or a factory refurb.

Comment

• Fireman
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by pmac View Post
                      Ya I dealt with that with carpentry tools. Always got good stuff. I was just trying to get a welder i could start learning with.

But I guess I will save up and get the MM211

It just seems like alot of money to learn on. But At least it will still be good once I do learn. I certianly would like to find a good used one, Or a factory refurb.
                      I would save the money and buy the HH 210MVP. Less electronics and a $150 or so cheaper than the 211. Its miller technology also.......Just saying..........
                      HH 210MVP
                      Spoolrunner 100
                      Powercraft AC buzz box
                      Lotas LTP5000D plasma
                      Victor Oxy/Acet
                      30 ton press
                      A few brand name tools
                      Lots of no name tools
                      A wife to worry me
                      and 4 dogs to supervise me

Comment

• bbraman
                        • Jan 2012

Looking to buy a welder and learn how to weld

Just like most of us, you have been burned by the old "you get what you pay for " there are some great used welders out there.
                        But please do your self a favor, at least by a new 140 autoset or 180 autoset. I started with the 180 great machine! Had a spoolgun, learned on that machine. You can build a trailer with the 180 no problem, and just about anything you want! Try to stay away from the stuff they sell at box store's there is a reason you don't see any Blue machines at those places!!!
                        Just my option, but most of us started where you are and we learned the hard way.
                        You won't regret it!!

Comment

• pmac
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by bbraman View Post
                          Just like most of us, you have been burned by the old "you get what you pay for " there are some great used welders out there.
                          But please do your self a favor, at least by a new 140 autoset or 180 autoset. I started with the 180 great machine! Had a spoolgun, learned on that machine. You can build a trailer with the 180 no problem, and just about anything you want! Try to stay away from the stuff they sell at box store's there is a reason you don't see any Blue machines at those places!!!
                          Just my option, but most of us started where you are and we learned the hard way.
                          You won't regret it!!
                          I ordered the MM 211.

Thanks for response I really do appreciate all that have given me input.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                          X