X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank R
    • Oct 2012

Helmet Sensitivity

I hooked up my 211 yesterday for the first time and began running beads for practice. I noticed that I could not see the front of the weld puddle while pushing. I had to estimate where I needed to stop.

I adjusted the sensitivity on my Digital Performance hood down from 15 (recommended setting ) to 13. It did not seem to make a difference.

I should be able to see the puddle and the immediate steel nearby, right? Should I keep adjusting the sensitivity down until I see it? I don't want to damage my eyes.
  • Thrutraffic
    • Jul 2012

Adjust shade not sensitivity.

Use a shade 10 for GMAW. I've heard of folks who could get by with a 9 but I'm a bit fearful of that.

Sensitivity determines when the auto-shade kicks in. I sensitivity is set too high the shae will stay dark just looking out the garage door. :-)

I have the same problem. I couldn't see anything with my Hobart XVP so I bought a Digital Elite. Made a lot of difference. I also found that by not getting too close to the arc I could see better and I'm pretty sure a magnifier will help me as well.

Also try running welder's chalk through the joint. That extra "white" can be helpful as well.
    ==============
    Miller 211 MVP
    Hobart StickMate LX 235
    Lincoln AC 225
    CutMaster 42

Comment

• nfinch86
      • Jul 2008

Yes, I agree, Adjust the shade till you can see the weld puddle clearly !
      I've been running shade 9 for the last few years.
      Prior to that I used shade 10 for many years .

...........Norm
      www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

• Frank R
        • Oct 2012

Thanks guys, I probably meant Shade instead of Sensitivity; I don't have the helmet in front of me.

It is good to know that the numbers are closer to 10 than 15.

More practice is in order.

Comment

• big mike
          • Jul 2010

The eye doctor told me that if I continue to see the arc after I lift my hood it's not dark enough.

Comment

Working...
          X