MM211 and Wire Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MM211 and Wire Size

Hey guys. I'm very new to welding, only have probably 2 days of experience. I have a MM211 on 75/25 gas running .035 wire (schedule-40 project metal). I've ran more beads than I can count which seems to be a good way to start. Analyze the beads, make sure there is proper penetration, ect..

When I weld I get a solid, shiny, hump type weld even when I weld with that cursive 'e'. Because of this I tend to weld like MIG (not trying to look like TIG). Sometimes however I want to try to play with getting fancy. So this weekend I go over to a friends house who's running a Lincoln 180 with 100% CO2 and .025 wire (schedule-40 project metal again), here are the results after my first try at a cursive 'e' on his machine:

Does .025 wire cool faster allowing the bead trail to be able to mold initially then when the 'e' comes back over it remelts and forms the pretty look? I was blown away that I was able to do this. I have probably 10 welds back to back 6" or longer and all penetrating! I'm now thinking I want to switch to smaller wire for metals that are schedule-40!

Edit: Thinking about this more and more. I think just playing with different metal sizes, wire size/type, makes a difference. I don't have very many options to play with and see what I like. I would definitely choose his setup if I wanted a less penetrating but fancier look over my bead with the MM211. I know for a fact the 211 is an amazing machine and is capable of making the same if not better welds. I just liked what his did in this particular case.
    Last edited by wgr73; 09-24-2012, 08:44 AM.

We have found the 211's to like .030 a lot better. Just our experience
    252 Miller Mig
    180 Synchrowave
    R - 45 Milling Machine
    Kingston 1100 Lathe
    Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Comment

I'll be picking some of that up real soon.

Comment

It should have...

It should have come with a spool of that.
        MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
        Just For Home Projects.

Comment

Ditto on using .030 wire...Bob
          Bob Wright

Comment

Yup, .030 is the jam on my 180 also. Bead appearance had as much to do with the wire feed and heat settings as it does with technique. Higher heat relative to wire speed gets me flatter welds. The charts on the inside of the machine are only to get you in the ballpark, you gotta fine tune it from there.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks guys!

Comment

Here is 030 wire on that class of machine. I also have tried 035 in a couple of them to see if I could wring a little more out of the top end, they are made for 030.. The charts are good for vert up but for this type of joint are too low for my taste, I like it hot enough that I don't really have to manipulate it, the machine does the work. I move up a to the next thickness and mine rides on the highest setting about 90% of the time. We weld a lot of thin stuff, lot of 1/8 but lots of short beads tacks, weld nuts, etc. I did turn it down the other day to weld a 1/4 20 square nut to a stove pipe, sometimes for exhaust but 90% of the time wide open for 1/8, almost burning thru every joint.

In the first pic you can see got it cranked right to the edge and puddle so fluid there are no ripples, the second you can see where I wiggle it a bit, its similar to the joint design the op had in pic, a little wiggle to add some more filler, wash the wire around at the root.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Sberry; 09-26-2012, 10:15 AM.

Comment

I was looking for one that was near door chart but must have deleted it. Not near the harsh spatter but more work with less melt. This weld could be improved, for one plate could have been cleaned and a dillegent operator would have tuned it a bit to reduce some spatter but I am kind of point and shoot, not super fussy.

Comment

MM211 and Wire Size

The only thing different between those 2 pics is the file name.

Comment

Welding for me isn't really all that interesting to me, about 20 minutes once in a while is a huge amount at a given time but by then I have had my fill for the most part. To me welding is about getting what I want, its a result, it could be as simple as passing a test to get my feet on a job if needed, any number of means to an end, a contract repair or mainly these days to service my own equipment. Most of it ain't got to be perfect. Its got to work, to hold a fluid or be up to the task at hand with decent enough appearance no one gives it a second thought.

I did a plow frame repair the other day, there was enough drive time I said to the guy whdon'tnt you wait. I went about it, we chat a little while I grind away a couple boogers that failed in an azzhole spot, As we talk, quizia the guy about life, he did aswhatha the rate was and I told him 75 per, ok, well things were not really as bad as they look and I jack it back together and burn about 6 or 8 rods overhead, the guy was sitting on a bucket next to me, said after the first rod,,, I can tell,, ha. So, 50 minutes out the door, good to go, will wreck the truck before it fails and the guy says how much, I say 100$, he looked, and then forked over the C note, I told him,, after he paid me, I get 75 but thats a hundredollarlr fix. It was a pretty nice truck, was to plow out a drive on a second home, I figured out during this time he was retired General motors, he said, probably would have been 200 or more where he lived, ha.

They aint all that easy, ha, have had my share of looser jobs too.

Comment

Seriously...

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                        Welding for me isn't really all that interesting to me, about 20 minutes once in a while is a huge amount at a given time but by then I have had my fill for the most part. To me welding is about getting what I want, its a result, it could be as simple as passing a test to get my feet on a job if needed, any number of means to an end, a contract repair or mainly these days to service my own equipment. Most of it ain't got to be perfect. Its got to work, to hold a fluid or be up to the task at hand with decent enough appearance no one gives it a second thought.

I did a plow frame repair the other day, there was enough drive time I said to the guy whdon'tnt you wait. I went about it, we chat a little while I grind away a couple boogers that failed in an azzhole spot, As we talk, quizia the guy about life, he did aswhatha the rate was and I told him 75 per, ok, well things were not really as bad as they look and I jack it back together and burn about 6 or 8 rods overhead, the guy was sitting on a bucket next to me, said after the first rod,,, I can tell,, ha. So, 50 minutes out the door, good to go, will wreck the truck before it fails and the guy says how much, I say 100$, he looked, and then forked over the C note, I told him,, after he paid me, I get 75 but thats a hundredollarlr fix. It was a pretty nice truck, was to plow out a drive on a second home, I figured out during this time he was retired General motors, he said, probably would have been 200 or more where he lived, ha.

They aint all that easy, ha, have had my share of looser jobs too.
                        What in God's name are you talking about?
                        Dose this in ANY way have ANYTHING to do with wire size?
                        MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
                        Just For Home Projects.

Comment

It was just ramble it doesnt mean anything dont read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Manisoba View Post
                            The only thing different between those 2 pics is the file name.
                            Whoops, was in a hurry, yes, same pic. I tweaked my back, its extremely painful, almost hard to see straight. I will fix it. My intent with the ramble started ouInnocentnt enough but blended with a thought on another thread. When I see how to from new users asking about this motion or that the first thing is to get them to turn the machine up, iisn'tnt all about the "golden arm" expertisoutot hundreds of hours of practice to become the worlds ultimate welder, a guy can accomplish most of the tasks at hand simply turning thmachinene up far enough.
                            Last edited by Sberry; 09-26-2012, 10:21 AM.

Comment

I think my thread is off topic now

Comment

Working...
                              X