Name this part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name this part

I just picked up another welder today. It's a Lincoln 140 hd. It came with a regulator that has some kind of electric flow thingy. Can anyone explain what it is and how it works? I've never seen one before. Thanks, Jeff

It's a CO2 regulator with heater, isn't it?

Comment

Looks like a solenoid to me
      Nick
      Miller 252 Mig
      Miller Cricket XL
      Millermatic 150 Mig
      Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
      2-O/A outfits
      Jet Lathe and Mill
      Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
      DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
      Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
      20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
      Propane Forge
      60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
      Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
      and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

It is just a solenoid for turning off/on the gas. You can eliminate it and turn it back into a regular flow meter by unscrewing it and screwing the nipple from the flow meter back into the regulator.

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
          It is just a solenoid for turning off/on the gas. You can eliminate it and turn it back into a regular flow meter by unscrewing it and screwing the nipple from the flow meter back into the regulator.
          Thanks.
          Would there be any benefit in using it? I guess I'll try it out and see if I like it or not.

Comment

The benefit as it sits now would be that you needn't twist your valve open and closed on the tank it is attached to when you either start or end welding for the day. Probably the single best benefit would be to take the selenoid off the flow meter, attach is to the bottom drain valve of your air compressor and run the cord up to your electrical service for the compressor and wire it in on the hot side of the switch that turns the motor off and on and you'll have an auto drain (if their is a timer provision on the selenoid).
            Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
            Miller DialArc 250
            Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
            Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
            Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
            Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
            South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
            Logan 7" shaper
            Ellis 3000 band saw
            Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
            Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
            3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
            Lots of dust bunnies
            Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

The down side to using an electric solenoid is that they are prone to bleeding down without letting you know. This is why most welders turn their bottles off when done for the day, as the MIG/TIG machines have a similar solenoid in them. So if you add a secondary solenoid I don't know if you are really preventing anything or not, still have to turn the bottle off at the end of the day to be sure.

Comment

I don't think is was to turn gas on and off for the day. looks as it to take place for when you are welding in stead of turning a hand valve on and off on the tig handle to reposition your part or reaching for another tig rod makes since to me. I LIKE THE IDEA now that would save gas. oops sorry seen for a mig oh well it's the thought that counts RIGHT lol
                Last edited by walker d.; 09-09-2012, 08:23 AM.

Comment

ok maybe the welder does not have an enternal sln valve. hey I'm trying

Comment

It's a solenoid for when your purge welding tubing. That way you don't have to keep opening and shuting a valve, for set up time and then welding. It can be hooked to a timer, and set to open for the purge, weld time and the post flow for the cool down.
                    Miller Dialarc 250 HF Tig with Miller Coolmate 4 water cooler
                    MillerMatic 250 (Co2 .035)
                    MillerMatic 130 (Co2 .023)
                    Miller Spectrum 375 Plas
                    Fronius MagicWave 3000 Comfort tig with integrated watercooler.
                    Century AC 250 stick welder (my first welder...and still have it)

Comment

Actually I've seen these on no name welders for gas control. Usually on brands that don't have an internal gas solonoid. Came in a kit for them. Can't remember the brand, Kinda goofy but I suppose it makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X