Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. I'll pass along the info.

Comment

I've always heard good things about the Hobart Welding School (HIWT). It may be further than your son may want to travel but they also have online and dvd courses that you can take at the local votech school and still get their diploma's. The key would be having access to a location to practice welding which no matter where you go, your going to have to burn some rods. I get their publications regularly and read a lot of stuff about them in the welding Industry and their supposed to be one of the better schools. They also have accelerated courses.

Comment

I'm probably the last to give advice of this nature, or maybe not.

I have a son who is currently in a welding program in a Technical High School.

Just bought him a stick welder so he could burn a lot of rod at home to practice.

The goal at his school is to pass the AWS test in SMAW, I forget which weld they are going for but it's one of the tougher ones.

I guess I'd like to add they they just went on a field trip to a local company, a welding supplier if you will, who also runs a welding school.

Personally I took some courses through the local community college, they were a couple of nights a week for a couple of months. Cost was about $350 and they were very 'informative'.

Maybe before you son launches into one of the more pricey school option he should look for one like at the community college if for no other reason than to get some exposure to welding.

WARNING: The following information is only offered as ideas on where to look. I have had no experience with either of these places and cannot speak to their effectiveness or ineffectiveness.

The school he visited gets around $2,000 per course and you can see their info here ..... http://www.earlbeck.com/training.html

On the other hand one welding supplier in the region ( MD/DE/NJ ) offers two day courses for under $500 ..... http://www.keengas.com/welding-school/

Comment

Working...
        X