Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynasty 350 quality really worth the money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty 350 quality really worth the money?

Hello all, I do not use this forum very much but like all of you am an Avid welder and have worked in many industries.

So my previous employer was in the nuclear field and had the luxury of playing with many fun machines including the Miller Dynasty 350. I must say it was a very very versatile machine and love the overall quality. Even during reactor work on a major project the general contractor was supplied with 20 Miller Dynasty 350's to work the weld heads.

So in all I would have to say the Dynasty 350 in my opinion is a great machine, with one down side is the $$$$. Money does not fall from the tree's.

I was doing some surfing around and found another Tig machine the Everlast PowerTig 250EX it pretty much almost has the same abilities as the Dynasty 350, but at 1/5th the price but made in China with some minor easy flaws to overcome.

I am currently at a cross roads. Being German and a person of quality I love quality products but I am also very picky on quality to price ratio and the justification of such a high priced item. Should I figure out what you get in purchasing Dynasty 350 and see if its all eye candy on the outside or cheap electronics inside that are also made in China? I have never dealt with Everlast and have never used their machines. Not sure what you get in the Everlast company warranty wise but same goes with miller.

Does Miller take care of its clients and stand behind its products when internal's start to go? I know digital displays are a big issue, HF starts and solenoid valves tend break at least from what I have found.

Would like some 1st hand experience from some miller buyers and your experience with the miller welding machines. Please no miller sales rep's, I want some unbiased opinions from unhappy to happy customers to maybe get an idea on how Miller treats its clients and products. I suppose Miller machines are made in China as well? please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks a bunch guys much input is appreciated

L.B.

Something tells me this will not end well.

Comment

Originally posted by Helios View Post
      Something tells me this will not end well.

Short Answer:

YES!!!
      Quality does not come cheap.... my Dyn 350DX was worth every dime "to me"....

does look very much like a "Silly" thread.... started with the sole purpose of argument....

OP appreciates quality but does not want to pay for it.....???

Geez.. It's almost a Porsche but it says Yugo on the front....

you get what you pay for....

Ever...........WHAT???

I would suggest this subject has been covered over and over elsewhere.... on old threads..

but some noodle always brings it up from time to time... why?? who knows??

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...light=everlast

and another old thread on it..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...hinese-Welders
      Last edited by H80N; 08-11-2012, 06:19 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I second that H80N, do a search it's been covered.

Comment

Max

do find it interesting that you would pose this question considering your previous statement as related to "chinese quality"...

Originally posted by max_winner1 View Post
          I can relate. I was a pipe welder making these Crude tankers for out west. (all alum) The company I worked for employed these cheap Made in China 4" elbow castings that would have F.O.'s in them. Little Oxidzed bubles and alot like a black rubber material?. I gota say it blew my mind when we tested these sch:40 elbows Would you believe that we had Multiple **** hair leaks comming out of the castings. WOW I could not believe it, cheap out more cut it off and get another made in China [email protected]! Waste of time I.M.O. I remeber when I had to do a minor repair on a leak through the casting was about 1/4' away from my weld on the casting so. I made my gauging run (air tool) nice and clean go to start the fix up and WOW ALL **** Breaks lose I get black crap and OMG Were did this [email protected] come from? So I gauge out and clean and try again... Seems like its oil or something comming from the inside cast because my elbow joint was fine but anything off in the cast was Dirty. In the end I cut it off and brought it to the packy guy who is in charge of buying the materials and give him a piece of my mind. Sorry guys I hate doing rework because of cheap products. I refuse to buy in china!

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...090#post178090

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I have a Dynasty and can vouch for its quality, On the other hand I have not used the chineese welder so I cannot comment on its quality.

But what I can comment on is that over the years I have bought a few chineese tools and usually found myself being let down and going back to buy the american version of the same tool.

If you said the welder was made in America, Japan, great britton or Germany I would say that its probably alright.

That being said, I have seen the progerssion over the last 20 years and China has improved their quality on certain items ( Just not Tools )

Comment

You have a very good question here. This is why I would never consider anything less than a Dynasty350 for reliability.

We use each of our tigs at least 30 hours a week. And at least half the time on full power-AC. That is 4500 hours in a 3 year period. At $80 an hour I bill $360K per machine in that 3 year period, which is still in warranty. The return on investment is quite high.

I did have one Dynasty350 fail after 5 years, and out of warranty. True hours and arc starts, I can not tell you because it won't power up, but I would estimate it gave me 6000 hours of productivity. It was a pre"Blue Lightning" model so I opted to replace it instead of repair it. "Blue Lightning" is brilliant.

I can tell you that there is no way I would even waste my time with an Everlast given what I know about them. The "Importers" change their designs every 5 years and repair parts as well as warranty are non existent. Once it goes, it is gone. They smooth you over with some offer of a free gift like a torch parts kit if you purchase another unit.

The precision, productivity, and power savings my Dynastys give me is a bargain.
              Save your money and wait for the Dynasty280 to arrive. This one is wonder.
              Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
              3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
              Miller Dynasty200DX
              ThermalArc 400 GTSW
              MillerMatic350P
              MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
              MKCobraMig260
              Lincoln SP-170T
              Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
              Hypertherm 1250
              Hypertherm 800
              PlasmaCam CNC cutter
              Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
              SiberHegner CNC Mill
              2 ea. Bridgeport
              LeBlond 15" Lathe
              Haberle 18" Cold Saw
              Doringer 14" Cold Saw
              6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, I figured as much as I went through the links of some helpful people. Like always "You pay for what you get". Considering my past history with Chinese products I can understand the cost difference. Thanks again.

Comment

Miller Standing behind their product

Do a search on the Welding web about Everlast quality and customer service.

See what you come up with.

I have a 30 yr old Millermatic 200 and had a 20 yr old Syncro 250. I called Miller with repair questions on both and spent hours on the phone with helpful and friendly techs. Gave me better treatment than I've gotten on new items from others.

Now that's worth something!

Comment

I'd like to have a $50,000. Porsche Cayenne, but I'm sure Hyundai has something just as good for $30,000.
                    Miller stuff:
                    Dialarc 250 (1974)
                    Syncrowave 250 (1992)
                    Spot welder (Dayton badged)

Comment

But the Porsche will help get you laid more

There is no group of girls on a corner going >>>OOOO look at that cheap car

Post DE Railed Click image for larger version

Name:	65bfd01a.x50.gif
Views:	1
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	514842
                      Backed my CATMA over your CARMA
                      OOP"S clumsy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite (new)
                      Jackson EQC master (old)
                      Miller Trail Blazer 302 Air Pak
                      Spectrum 625 Extreme
                      Suitcase 12RC
                      Evolution Rage 3 saw
                      Victor O/A
                      Craftsmen Atlas 12X36 Lathe
                      Half a ton of tooling
                      Rusty old truck

Comment

Originally posted by USMCPOP View Post
                        I'd like to have a $50,000. Porsche Cayenne, but I'm sure Hyundai has something just as good for $30,000.
                        A better analogy might be comparing a Rolls Royce with a Yugo. You get what you pay for and it is not, "as good."
                        Millermatic Passport Plus
                        Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
                        XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
                        Dynasty 300 DX
                        Thermal Arc 400 MST
                        Victor O/A
                        Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

Originally posted by USMCPOP View Post
                          Hyundai doesn't have an SUV as good as Porsche at any price, just like theirs no comparison between the Dynasty and the others, so no you can't Get just as good at a lower price.
                          Kevin

Comment

I look at it this way, for a newbee, I'd buy the cheapest tig machine out there, sure we all know its not going to last, but then again, perhaps the newbee won't be interested in welding after all. Plus it'll be a good machine to train on. Then get something significantly better later on.

Samething goes for the Yugo, It's not likely I'm going to let my kid drive my new diesel 4x4 when he turns 16, nope I'll get him something really basic to drive around into curbs and poles with

So why have that high priced machine sitting there collecting dust.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                              I look at it this way, for a newbee, I'd buy the cheapest tig machine out there, sure we all know its not going to last, but then again, perhaps the newbee won't be interested in welding after all. Plus it'll be a good machine to train on. Then get something significantly better later on.

Samething goes for the Yugo, It's not likely I'm going to let my kid drive my new diesel 4x4 when he turns 16, nope I'll get him something really basic to drive around into curbs and poles with

So why have that high priced machine sitting there collecting dust.
                              i know what your saying but buying a good machine like a syncro it would be better and less frustrating for a beginner

Even better would be if they went to a school and learned on what they have and see if they can cut it on a tig with no major investment

Then if they have the talent for tig they could think about what they should buy
                              if a syncro can get the job done and you don't do a lot of tig work that's great

But if you tig as a constant thing then you can think of investing in some thing like the dynasy

It's a matter of what you need and what you can afford but what ever the choice don't but cheap junk machines for a job then cry when it all goes to ****

I would love to have a dynasty 350 but i don't do any tig work and if someone brings something like that to me i have people i can recommend

I cannot justify the investment ...But i still would love having one
                              Backed my CATMA over your CARMA
                              OOP"S clumsy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Digital Elite (new)
                              Jackson EQC master (old)
                              Miller Trail Blazer 302 Air Pak
                              Spectrum 625 Extreme
                              Suitcase 12RC
                              Evolution Rage 3 saw
                              Victor O/A
                              Craftsmen Atlas 12X36 Lathe
                              Half a ton of tooling