Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who still uses collets bodies and why do they still ship new machines with them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who still uses collets bodies and why do they still ship new machines with them?

I've always wondered.....

I have never found a situation where I would want to use a collet body vs. a gas lens. Yet, most manufacturers still ship them with machines that are purchased new.

Or am I misinformed and there are situations that are common enough that would warrant collet bodies to still exist?

Originally posted by cobymoby View Post
    I've always wondered.....

I have never found a situation where I would want to use a collet body vs. a gas lens. Yet, most manufacturers still ship them with machines that are purchased new.

Or am I misinformed and there are situations that are common enough that would warrant collet bodies to still exist?
    I use both.... not all situations call for a lens... they are much more bulky and will not fit in many tight places... backspatter will block and kill the fine screen in the lens and costs add up on replacements...

there is plenty of room for both in my world....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I have strictly used a gas lense since I got out of school but I do find rare situations where a standard collet body does the trick.

Comment

I use both, situation dependent. Brian

Comment

For me the situations where I revert to standard collet body/ceramics include any kind of coated steel, (eg: zincalum, HPC coated etc.) Diecast Aluminium and particularly Magnesium.
          Regards Andrew.
          We are tig welders, gravity doesn't worry us.

Miller Dynasty 350 Tig.
          OTC AVP300 AC/DC 300 amp hybrid wave Tig. (now retired)
          Kemppi MLS 2300 230amp AC/DC Tig for home with all the bells and whistles.

Comment

I still do because for what i do they work just fine.
            DYNASTY 200DX
            SPECTRUM 625
            MM 251
            BWE

Comment

Working...
            X