Death by oil drum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death by oil drum.

Well another one had died trying to cut up an oil drum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-19035426

Originally posted by jmpgino View Post
    Well another one had died trying to cut up an oil drum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-19035426
    a little dry ice would have prevented this......or good ole soap and water.....hopefully other readers will get something from this......Paul
    More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by paulrbrown View Post
      a little dry ice would have prevented this......or good ole soap and water.....hopefully other readers will get something from this......Paul
      Or a meter to sniff out vapors. You must be 100% positive that it won't blow before you start any cutting or welding. If not 100% i won't touch it...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

Lifesaver

I never really thought twice about cutting 55 gallon drums until coming to this forum. I knew the danger and took precautions but now I think twice and purge first. I have a fuel tank that seperated at the welds I need to repair.
        Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
        Maxstar 150STL
        Metabos
        Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
        Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
        Stihl TS 420

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Rezeppa View Post
          I never really thought twice about cutting 55 gallon drums until coming to this forum. I knew the danger and took precautions but now I think twice and purge first. I have a fuel tank that seperated at the welds I need to repair.
          I have always preferred a thorough wash out with a steam jenny..to boil out the flammables followed by a few chunks of dry ice before and during welding to displace the oxygen and explosive gasses....

that is of course under ideal conditions....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Some CO2 and problem solved, the guy should have read some post on this forum.
            R.I.P.

Comment

people just dont think about things sometimes. most dont know but even people that do sometimes do things they think about later and say wow that was close. these thing remind us of things not to do

Comment

I almost did one a while back, finally remembered, crap, we had gas in that at one point.

Comment

dry ice

Can you tell me in what way the dry ice would be used to prevent this. I've not heard of this before. Thanx

Comment

I've welded on about 10 fuel tanks already this year, some diesel, some gas and some hydraulic oil.

You need to treat them all the same because you never know when they did you a favor and clean them up with gas, break cleaner, starting fluid etc.

Even when welding on a cracked aluminum oil pan that is still on the car or truck.

You need to use an inert gas ( Helium, Argon, Co2, nitrogen )

On a 55 gallon drum I have even filled to the top with water and started cutting right away as the water flows out.

If your not 100% positive how to do it then dont.

Comment

Originally posted by Avi8ir View Post
                      Can you tell me in what way the dry ice would be used to prevent this. I've not heard of this before. Thanx
                      Dry Ice is the solid form of carbon dioxide and has all of the fire supression, oxygen displacing properties of carbon dioxide as it is releases by boiling off...

Dry Ice is simply a very convenient inexpensive way to buy, transport and handle Carbon Dioxide...

do yourself a favor and do some reading and research on the subject....

Do not attempt a potentially dangerous procedure unless you fully understand it..
                      Last edited by H80N; 07-30-2012, 10:34 AM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 200

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                        Dry Ice is the solid form of carbon dioxide and has all of the fire supression, oxygen displacing properties of carbon dioxide as it is releases by boiling off...

Dry Ice is simply a very convenient inexpensive way to buy, transport and handle Carbon Dioxide...

do yourself a favor and do some reading and research on the subject....

Do not attempt a potentially dangerous procedure unless you fully understand it..
                        How easy to find and buy dry ice?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                          How easy to find and buy dry ice?
                          http://www.dryicedirectory.com/usa.htm

lots of grocery stores, bait shops, restaurant & party suppliers carry it as well

of course many welding and oxygen/gas suppliers

Airgas does

http://www.airgas.com/content/produc...=9002008002007
                          Last edited by H80N; 07-31-2012, 08:55 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
                          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Millermatic 200

Comment

Wow, talk about nested loops of brain-dead links ... Abandon all hope, ye who click on that link!

Comment

Type in YOUR Area Code....

Originally posted by Helios View Post
                              Wow, talk about nested loops of brain-dead links ... Abandon all hope, ye who click on that link!
                              Did you miss the rectangular BLUE WINDOW in the center of the page where it says...

Telephone Area Code:

just type in your area code.... Hit Enter....(Locate Button)

AND

it will return a list of dealers in your area code.....

What is so complicated about that????????????

Are You Funnin With Us???
                              Last edited by H80N; 08-01-2012, 08:42 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
                              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                              Dynasty 200DX
                              Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
                              X