Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attaching small Aluminum parts (Tiny parts)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching small Aluminum parts (Tiny parts)

Hey guys,
    I am wondering if any of you can recommend the best way to attach the tiny Aluminum parts to some Aluminum tubing? There is very little pressure/force on parts. TIG welding will hold just fine. But, it is not the best looking method. Can these be brazed on?

Click the link
    http://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-...GUIDE-KIT.html

Originally posted by ggodwin View Post
    Hey guys,
    I am wondering if any of you can recommend the best way to attach the tiny Aluminum parts to some Aluminum tubing? There is very little pressure/force on parts. TIG welding will hold just fine. But, it is not the best looking method. Can these be brazed on?

Click the link
    http://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-...GUIDE-KIT.html
    Think you have been looking at the wrong TIG welds...

work done by a skilled TIG weldor is quite beautiful...

especially welds done with an advanced inverter TIG like a Dynasty, where you can tune and focus the arc down to a narrow precise bead....

brazing??? I think somebody has been giving you bad advice....
    Last edited by H80N; 07-27-2012, 08:32 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I can appreciate a nice TIG weld as good as anybody. However, the bike frames ihave seen do not have any visual method of attachment. Which is nicer than the best of TIG welds. These parts are on 1/4"x1/8" rectangles.

I would like to attach them with out seeing how they are attached. They are called braze on parts by the website that sells them.

Comment

I can appreciate a nice TIG weld as good as anybody. However, the bike frames ihave seen do not have any visual method of attachment. Which is nicer than the best of TIG welds. These parts are on 1/4"x1/8" rectangles.

I would like to attach them with out seeing how they are attached. They are called braze on parts by the website that sells them.
        that would not be my first choice in joining those...

But if I were to do Aluminum brazing I would start with filler from Lucas Milhaupt,
        they have a long track record in real commercial filler alloys for the purpose with an excellent technical Knowledge Base that is available for reference..

https://www.lucasmilhaupt.com/en-US/...illermetals/1/

Be extra wary of the many "County Fair" or flea market rods that are available and touted to repair any aluminum with a bernz-o-matic torch..... the majority of those are mostly zinc...... same stuff is all over the internet with exagerated claims and bogus testimonials...

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 200

Comment

Have you considered Epoxy? rough the surface, amazing what they will do.
          Jet Aircraft have been using it for more than 60 years. Hope this helps, Paul

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redux_(adhesive)
          More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Paul,
            I have not tried the epoxy yet. I have considered that and JB weld both. I will be trying each of these this week to see how it works.

Comment

Paul,
              I have not tried the epoxy yet. I have considered that and JB weld both. I will be trying each of these this week to see how it works.
              J-B Weld?? REALLY???... Good Grief............

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 200

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                J-B Weld?? REALLY???... Good Grief............
                Is that an inside joke? clue me in. I had an old timer recomend it. I have never used it for anything.

Comment

Is that an inside joke? clue me in. I had an old timer recomend it. I have never used it for anything.
                  Aside from it won't work???

Would be truly bad news for your application..... on so many levels...

you want a durable..professional installation, ...right...??? that is NOT the stuff...

You were much closer to the mark with your Alu-Braze idea...

take a look at Lucas Milhaupt or some of the other industrial Aluminum braze alloy..suppliers...
                  Last edited by H80N; 07-30-2012, 08:39 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 200

Comment

Jagwire makes a really nice self stick cable guide with 3m UHB attachment in either black or silver with the clips you like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	alloy_stick-on_cable_guides_silver_50_pcs_dca060.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	514791
                    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
                    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
                    Miller Dynasty200DX
                    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
                    MillerMatic350P
                    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun